Question for those doing IF

Options
... just curious.. are you allowed to chew gum during your "fasting hours?" or is it STRICTLY nothing but water or zero calorie drinks??

cuz i go thru 2 packs of gum a day. which is 140 calories and 56 carbs. I was reading something on the forum about how fasting is 0 calories in. so i was like damn... i couldnt do that cuz i'm constantly chewing gum. even tho i just bought cinnamon tooth picks

Replies

• michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PtheronJr
    PtheronJr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    The definition of the fast is not consuming calories during the non-eating window, some people allow little violations, like black coffee, which typically has less than 10 calories a cup if you're going pure black, but it's so insignificant that it doesn't negate the benefits of a fast.

So yeah, technically, you're breaking it. The issue is that there's no magical rule, and IF, while fantastic if you have a schedule you need to work around, or if you want the health and appetite benefits, or if you just want to eat big meals, is not a magic trick in and of itself, it's just something to shape your diet around. That's it.

So chew gum if you want to, while doing IF at the same time, there's no NEED to do anything entirely to the letter if what you're doing is working for you.
  • mom2sons02
    mom2sons02 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I do the 5:2 plan. This plan allows for 500 calories on fast days. Yes, I chew gum, yes on fast days I count it. I chew gum other days too, but I don't count it on those days.
  • sackings79
    Options
    I'm going to say you are still in a fasted state chewing gum. Those calories are negligible.

What I would be worried about is you having more intense cravings for something more than gum. but if that gum isnt triggering cravings than do what's working for you.