Just wanted some feedback

misspenny762
misspenny762 Posts: 279 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all,

It's me again with another annoying question, haha. I have my activity level set to "Sedentary", although this isn't entirely true. I work part-time at a large retail chain which involves a lot of walking, bending, etc. 3-4 days a week. I also do a lot of shopping and going out etc on my days off, but I didn't want to pick "lightly active" and risk overestimating my calories burned. In general, I don't list my every day activity as cardio unless I'm doing significantly more walking around than normal (for example, when I go to Disneyland, I log that walking because it's a LOT).

Conversely, I probably underestimate my calories consumed a bit (I don't count cooking spray I use to make my pancakes, etc). I just kind of figure that the two probably even each other out, and hey, I've been losing weight at a steady rate of two pounds a day since I started MFP, so it can't be that bad. I wanted to get you guys' opinion on this, however. Do you think I should adjust my activity level or start really being a stickler about my food calories, or am I alright the way I'm doing it?

Replies

• amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    I, like you, do some walking with my job, take the stairs several times each day but I only count "workouts" for exercise, and hardly anything else. It sounds like what you do is working so I would keep it easy.
    Maybe when it stops working is when you need to re-evaluate, but it sounds like everything evens out.
  • I do the same. I don't really count activity unless it's an actual work out. If you're losing, I'd say whatever you're doing is working and keep it up!
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    If you're walking around virtually every day you might want to switch to "lightly active"... if you're constantly under-eating (because you're actually lightly active when you say you're sedentary) it'll catch up with you in the form of a plateau... especially if you don't eat your exercise cals. In actuality, cooking sprays don't add that many calories, so I wouldn't worry about logging them even if you do increase your MFP activity level.

I'm the same as you, though--unless I actually work out of walk a lot, I won't log my day-to-day moving around (I consider it part of my "lightly active" lifestyle).
This discussion has been closed.