Question for the those who have lost over 60lbs

13»

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Why is it a big race? You may be able to lose that much in that time… should you? Probably not.

You might want to shift your focus from setting extreme weight loss goals by specific date, and consider health and long term goals. If you have a finish line for a healthy lifestyle (I'm going to hope that your diet is healthy and sustainable, not just "low fat" this and "diet" that) then when you return to your previous lifestyle you will also, very quickly, return to your previous physical state.

I'm probably wasting my breath… at the weight you are now you shouldn't even be eating under 2000 calories, let alone under 1000. I love the negative attitude when people actually give you some feedback. Obviously you are going to do what you are going to do and don't give a crap about learning from the experience of others; many of which who have done what you are doing now and destroyed health doing it. Good luck with that.
  • jjennyb4
    jjennyb4 Posts: 1,581 Member
    I have lost 72lb's in 5ish years. With calorie counting & exercise. Unfortunately it's not easy. I still have 8lb's to go. Good luck. Feel free to add me.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,654 Member
    My weight loss has been slower, since I am 50 and partially disabled, however, a good friend of ours who is male, 40 and around 5'10, lost 60 lbs in 6 months last year. He ate 1300 a day and ran 2 miles every night. He has kept the weight off for over a year and is in great health.

So yes, it CAN be done. Don't get discouraged by naysayers, but also be realistic and don't be disappointed if you don't hit your target. Some people do better with a time frame and major motivating goal. The hard part comes after you pass that goal time. You need to find another goal to keep going.

Keep your head straight, and be consistent. You will get to goal eventually. :flowerforyou:
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    I know 900-1300 is under what I'm supposed to have. I see my doctor once a week, so technically I'm under a physicians care. Thank you guys for your concern though. I was just wondering how long it took others to lose their weight. If I don't lose 60lbs by June it's not the end of the world for me. Was only curious :)

Because the nutritional advice from a physician is always completely accurate and never hurt anyone…. (doctors are NOT experts in nutrition). Wrong. It is common for doctors to promote under-eating and inappropriate diet because they believe the same fallacies about nutrition as most of the rest of us:

1. The fewer calories one eats the better/faster the weight lost. Always. No exceptions.
    2. Natural, saturated fats are bad (but canola/soy etc are "healthy").
    3. (Almost) unlimited starch and sugar are good.
    4. Quality of food doesn't matter.
    5. Pharmaceuticals and surgery are good ways to treat metabolic issues related to poor diet.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    I lost 50 last year and it took me 10 months..some months I lost most..but I avg about 3 lbs a month on the 2nd half of the year.
  • I have lost 36lbs in 3 months. I started at more than 50lbs lighter than yourself so you can do it if you want, having a bit of faith to stick with it when the scales slow up/stalls is key. Let your diet/exercise decisions be ruled by your head not your heart. For me it was lowering carbs that did it but find what is easiest for you, this is a long distance race!
  • mpott3r
    mpott3r Posts: 2 Member
    I am 3 lbs from losing 60lbs, and thats in 4 months. I exercise 3-4 times a weeks, for a half an hour or so. Depends how I'm feeling. I am using the C25K running app, and incorporating some strength training. :) I dont know what my calorie intake is, as I typically stick to weight watchers. I hope you reach your goal for June. :D
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    I would have to lose an average of 3lbs a week. I'm 5'6 and 261lbs.

At your size, it is both doable, and safe. It really comes down to your level of discipline.

Good luck!
  • mikeabboud
    mikeabboud Posts: 26 Member
    for me a bout a year and half
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    It took me 8 months to lose 100 pounds, your goal is do-able
    BUT it is very hard to maintain, stay on target
    The wonderful feeling of being thin is worth it
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    It took me 6 months to lose 60 pounds, and it has taken 8.5 months to lose 78. I believe my weight loss is considered quite rapid for someone not very obese, I was just extremely consistent.
  • Indiri13
    Indiri13 Posts: 104 Member
    I started from a moderately obese weight and the first 60 took me about 7-8 months. You should be aiming to lose up to 1% of your body weight each week. At 240 pounds, up to 2.4 a week is ok. At 200 pounds it will be down to 2 a week. When you get into a "normal" BMI then you can expect that to slow down to .5-1 pound a week, depending on how close you are to done.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    First-- I would be very careful about eating 900 calories. You can lose weight doing it that way but have have some longer term problems -- hair loss, internal problems/damage, develop an eating disorder, mess with your metabolism, and its very hard to maintain and eventually you will hit a plateau because your body is in starvation mode.

My suggestion would be to increase your calories and you can increase your calorie burn.

You may be able to lose 60 lbs by june, but may not. Your body may go through these awful plateau periods when you start losing weight. I would lose 25-30 lbs and my body would stall. After a couple weeks, I would drop some more weight and again stall.

It probably took me a year the first time I lost the first 60 lbs-- but last year I lost 60 lbs in 7 months. Depends on your motivation and Committment and educating yourself on what is healthy.
  • azdeha
    azdeha Posts: 58 Member

Yes it's possible.

I realize it's not a race. I realize it isn't easy. And I know what I have always eaten. It's so funny that many people on this site think you gain weight only by eating a ton of junk. I have had health problems and have been on numerous medications that have caused a weight gain and thanks to life situations I gained more. Why must I be considered an over eater if I'm over weight?

This.

I was eating 1 meal a day and it was usually less than 1000 calories and I piled on the lbs because my body went into starvation mode and my metabolism pretty much went into a coma. I only started losing when I was eating the same amount of calories over the space of 5 meals.

For a bunch of people on a diet site where we're supposed to be helping each other, there are quite a few silly comments.

As for weighing yourself every day - I do it too simply because if I don't, I won't weigh myself at all and I'll start putting weight on. If you find it works for you then go with it. Everyone is different.

Incidentally I'm also on 900 - 1000 calories a day and I've suffered no ill effects from it at all. I was actually put on that amount by a doctor. Unless you're finding yourself starving, feeling dizzy, constantly tired, having heart palpitations etc, then just go with what feels natural to you. What works for one person might not work for another. The only other thing to watch out for is if you start losing too fast. If you find that's happening then you definitely need to up your calories, not just because your body is trying to tell you something but also because rapid weight loss can leave the skin saggy.
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member

Yes it's possible.

I realize it's not a race. I realize it isn't easy. And I know what I have always eaten. It's so funny that many people on this site think you gain weight only by eating a ton of junk. I have had health problems and have been on numerous medications that have caused a weight gain and thanks to life situations I gained more. Why must I be considered an over eater if I'm over weight?

This.

I was eating 1 meal a day and it was usually less than 1000 calories and I piled on the lbs because my body went into starvation mode and my metabolism pretty much went into a coma. I only started losing when I was eating the same amount of calories over the space of 5 meals.

For a bunch of people on a diet site where we're supposed to be helping each other, there are quite a few silly comments.

Yea, "starvation mode" isn't real...