Went way over my calorie count, feeling so guilty!

Options

Replies

• cgal25
    cgal25 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you so much everybody - your support and encouragement means a lot. I live in Japan so it is officially Saturday here - a new day. Its a beautiful day here so I plan on going out for a run soon and just getting back on track. I just hate the guilty feeling and don't want to feel like that again. As you've all said though - move on and keep motivated.

This is why I love MFP - its the first time that I have felt really disciplined and the first time I really think that I will achieve my weight loss goals and I know that it is a lot to do with the support I get on here so THANK YOU!
  • wrenegade64
    wrenegade64 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    You said you did so good all week. Focus on that. Unless you are a cyborg or something like that, you will do things that humans do. Embrace the fact that you had a little chocolate and some wine. Did you wipe out the chocolate shelf at the store? Did you drink enough wine to turn a California vineyard to a desert? Didn't think so. YOU ARE HUMAN! Straying once in a great while doesn't show that you are weak----it shows quite the opposite. If you don't reward yourself once in a great while, the urge is going to do is build more and more and a small act of indulgence will turn into something more massive and irreversible.

I strayed today with some mexican food and some ice cream myself. Haven't had any radical mexican food in a few weeks and no ice cream in almost a month. Its really ok. You got this young lady.
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    It's not the end of the world. Remember that you didn't get to your current weight because of overeating on one day - it took awhile for that to happen. It's the same thing with losing weight. It's the trend over a long period of time and not just one day.
    You should be proud of yourself for logging it (sometimes it can feel shameful to log the high calorie days - but you won't have any long term success if you cheat in your logging!). Maybe try and think about what caused you to go over today, was it emotional eating, are you being to restrictive on the other days of the week etc. If you can figure out what led to overeating today, then you can try and prevent it in the future (in my experience it will happen again, just log it and move on).

Something that also helps me is looking at my weekly calorie goals. As long as I stay under my weekly calories then I don't feel so bad about being over a few days.
  • mochamommy
    mochamommy Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I chose two beers instead of food for dinner since I only had 389 calories left and I'm sooooo freaken hungry.I may go over by bedtime tonight
  • BlasianJellyfish
    BlasianJellyfish Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just like it takes a while to lose weight, it takes a while to gain it.

One bad night isn't gonna ruin a weeks worth of good days. (In the same way that eating healthy for one day won't all of a sudden make you fit).

Just don't make it a habit!

It's all about sticking to the path 80-90% of the time. As long as you keep that up the rest is wiggle room for the inevitable mistakes EVERYONE makes.

Everybody slips up occasionally, only human after all :)
  • stef102093
    stef102093 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    sometimes a bad eating day can be good, it will throw you body off, over time your body adapts to what you do all the time so you have to throw a change in there every now and then. I'm not talking all the time but here and there isn't gonna ruin all of your hard work. Just get back at it the next day and don't let it bring you down.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Success isn't determined by how many times you fall, but how many times you get back up. Just put it behind you and do better tomorrow.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    You're doing good! We all slip up! But there is tomorrow to start new. Plus, I doubt you went over your maintenance calories anyway.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    It's one day. It's ok. But learn from how you feel. It's not a good feeling and to avoid it in the future, you know what to do. Or rather, what not to do. :)
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    You get back on the horse tomorrow!
  • LRoslin
    LRoslin Posts: 128
    Options
    I like to look at my weekly totals if I slip up. It evens out most weeks and then I dont need to freak out!! You're good toots!!!

This is very good advice. It's important to look at your "running total" when it comes to weight loss as well.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I suggest running. For hours. One mile is roughly 100 calories so I'm thinking...9-10 miles? Get hopping.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Your calorie goal includes a deficit. If your weight loss goal is a pound a week, it's a deficit of 500 calories a day. If two pounds a week, 1000 calories a day. So if you went over by 1000 calories today, you probably didn't gain an ounce (although the scale might say otherwise tomorrow morning). Maybe you missed a chance to lose a little today. Not worth beating yourself up over. Say "Wow, that was a nice once-in-a-long-while maintenance day!" and do better tomorrow.
  • snowmaniac
    snowmaniac Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    It's one day. Look at the bigger picture. Take a step back and look at the whole week. Depending on what you have your deficit set at, going over doesn't necessarily mean eating at a surplus. A good way to put it into perspective is take the overage and divide it by 7. That's how much higher your daily average was for the week.

May I also suggest that you try to disassociate food and guilt. Guilt over eating does not serve you well. Develop a healthy perspective of food. Personally, I eat at a moderate deficit (not extreme), that allows for steady weight loss without feeling deprived. You can eat at a moderate and productive deficit and still allow yourself an indulgence meal or two per week. Notice, I'm not saying cheat day. One or two meals that are a little on the high side makes the rest of the week much easier.

It's not cheating. It's not falling off the wagon. It's providing your body with the fuel it needs. It's about consistently making good choices over time. One meal or one day is not going to undo your progress or hard work unless you cast off restraint and fall back into the habits that led you to the place you are working to get away from.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Pfft...you and a half million other people.

Get back on the horse immediately, don't wait until the next day to climb back on. So you blew it. And?
  • truetarot1988
    truetarot1988 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I did the same today. So I told the kids we're going roller skating tomorrow. idk what people will think about a fat lady at the roller rink, but so long as I can still do it after all these years, it's good! Do something fun to burn the calories, then you're rewarding yourself in 2 ways. Don't be too hard on yourself and put it behind you. Don't forget to always come to the boards for advice and encouragement. So many people here succeeding, they actually make you WANT to keep going! You are in good company! KEEP GOING FORWARD GIRL!! YOU'RE WORTH IT! And you have tons of support!
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I can't take credit for this quote... Someone on another weight loss site said it and it stuck with me:

"If you trip on one step, you don't throw yourself down the rest of the staircase."

Meaning don't let it derail you. Don't give up like we've ALL done after a little blip. You didn't undo your hard work!
  • AusEliza
    AusEliza Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    the worst feeling of guilt when you slip. But don't worry I think it is safe to say everyone on his/her weight loss journey has been there.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    This is where you have to learn the mental side of weight loss. The difference between the winners and losers in weight loss is that the winners don't let any one day define them. Do you throw a party if you come in under one day? Of course not! Likewise, you don't let going over one day cause a melt down. Your weight will fluctuate but trend down over time. Really, this is nothing. But, like someone above said, go do some exercise and burn some of it off. Relax, it's a long road.
  • Dewislim87
    Options
    Just to share with you..
    I'm also was over my calorie counter,and I was feeling guilty too.
    Exercise is always the way to fight it back.
    Go and put on that running shoes girl!