TDEE Question

Options
In theory, if my TDEE is 2800, I can eat 2300 calories a day and lose a pound a week? (500 calorie deficit * 7 days=3500 cals).

Is this correct? TDEE already includes working out/activity too right?

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Yes, so if you're using MFP to track your eating, either don't log cardio exercise, log it but change the calories burned to 1, or just ignore it when MFP adds the calories you're burning from exercise to your daily goal. (What I'm saying is that MFP isn't set up for the TDEE method, so don't "eat back" your exercise calories as MFP will tell you to do.)
  • bgar1585
    Options
    I get what you're saying....so basically 2300 is the only number I care about.

As a male who is 5'10 180 lbs, I was trying to eat only 1800 calories before but it just didn't seem feasible and I did not have much energy for my workouts.
  • bgar1585
    Options
    Bump
  • tabbyxxcat
    tabbyxxcat Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Correct. Like Lynn said, don't eat back your exercise calories on MFP, because they use a different method (BMR + activity level + additional exercise - deficit). Your TDEE basically already includes your exercise calories. It is a simplified version of looking at your calories in, calories out and spreads out how much you eat over the week :D
  • bgar1585
    Options
    Correct. Like Lynn said, don't eat back your exercise calories on MFP, because they use a different method (BMR + activity level + additional exercise - deficit). Your TDEE basically already includes your exercise calories. It is a simplified version of looking at your calories in, calories out and spreads out how much you eat over the week :D

Thank you! And congrats on being close to your goal.

So it includes the # of times I go to the gym (I wrote a modest amount of 3-5 hours a week when its sometimes 6-8), good to know.
  • bgar1585
    Options
    Bump
  • goku89
    goku89 Posts: 160
    Options
    about eating back excersize calories, i find it impossible anyways, and kind of counterproductive i always have like 1,000 calories left when i log at the end of the day i work out.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Theoretically yes. Just remember that weight loss is not linear so don't get hung up if you don't lose on a schedule, and also that you don't just lose fat when you eat in a deficit so 3500 calories less a week will not necessarily equal a pound anyway. But your plan is solid so good luck!
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    In theory, if my TDEE is 2800, I can eat 2300 calories a day and lose a pound a week? (500 calorie deficit * 7 days=3500 cals).

Is this correct? TDEE already includes working out/activity too right?

MfFP does not include your exercise when they give you your total calories. They do not include it, because they have no way of knowing if you are going to exercise or not. They only include your daily activity (based on what you tell them, sedentary, active, etc) So, you need to EAT BACK YOUR CALORIES if you are using their numbers. Your TDEE is calories you need to survive if you were in bed all day PLUS the calories for the activity you do in a given day. If you exercise, then those calories are added in as well based on the type of exercise you do. It is your total daily expenditure of energy.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yes, so if you're using MFP to track your eating, either don't log cardio exercise, log it but change the calories burned to 1, or just ignore it when MFP adds the calories you're burning from exercise to your daily goal. (What I'm saying is that MFP isn't set up for the TDEE method, so don't "eat back" your exercise calories as MFP will tell you to do.)

I log my exercise but change the calories burned to 1....makes life easy when I want to see my activity if the weight loss has slowed down I have all the information in one place.

Now that being said...if you are a man and you are using TDEE and you "JUST" want to lose weight yes worry about calories but if you are concerned with muscle loss than what you need to do is watch your macros as well.

You will find different numbers for Protien .8g per 1lb of LBM or 1g for BW...but regardless of that make sure you are getting enough protien and fat in your diet. I have my macros set at 45% carbs, 30% protien and 25% fat as my minimums...I try to hit my fat and protien everyday...carbs...if I get them I get them.