Help with exercise.

Options
IVe been dieting since july 2013, I took a 2 week break during Christmas and restarted my diet last Monday.

Im currently doing HIIT training on a treadmill for 15 minutes 2 times a day 5 days a week. I walk at 2.5 mph for 1 min and run at 6mph for 30 seconds rinse repeat.

However, Ive been hearing I need to do strength training as well so my questions are this:

1) What kind of strength training should I be doing and how often

2.) What are the benefits of strength training that I don't get from my Cardio workout.

3.) What exactly is strength training?Is this only with weights? I only own 2 pair of weights wearing 5 lbs each.

Thanks in advance:)

Replies

• ValerieHope300
    ValerieHope300 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ZiezieO
    ZiezieO Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of "skinny fat" that's a term used for people that loose all the weight, but are still kinda flubby because they didn't work on toning.

You can use house hold things like milk jugs and stuff. put if you're in a snowy area, shoveling is a good substitute too. Planks, yoga, Pilates are good starts, but look on youtube, there are lots of at home remedies.

I recently joined a gym to work on this problem.
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    You can use your own bodyweight and do exercises like push ups, planks,chin ups, etc. I'm doing the 30 day shred and that has both cardio and strength moves. Plenty of ppl on mfp say its mostly cardio, but I beg to differ, there are many strength moves incorperated.
  • 4ME77
    4ME77 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    muscle burns fat…you can do lunges, squats, wall sits, leg lifts for the lower body
    push ups, planks, bicep curls, tri cep kick backs for upper body

but with your weights you can increase when it's not challenging anymore in weight or reps

just to name a few
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Strength training can help you with your cardio work. Everything's easier when you get stronger.

You can def start off with body weight strength training and use those 5lbs weights for added resistance.
  • moonmistmm
    moonmistmm Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    What kind of weightlifting you want to do depends on if you have the equipment or not. The two I'm mentioning, I do both. I do HIIT videos on youtube that use my bodyweight. There's a lot of pushups, planks, burpees, etc. That way it kind of does double duty. (I use the fitnessblender ones).

If you have access to a gym, or want to join one, here's your other option. You could lift heavy. As in squat, deadlift, benchpress etc. Once you know what you're doing, it can be a very powerful feeling!

But strength training in general has a ton of benefits! A pound of muscle requires more calories than fat, so your body naturally burns more. You'll look more toned. It helps bone density and to prevent osteoporosis. I just love the feeling of being stronger, too.

If you do start strength training, don't expect the scale numbers to go down right away. They might, or your body might retain some fluid as your muscles repair themselves. Take measurements and make sure you use good form.