No. That weight on the scale is mathematically impossible

Options

Replies

• Barb_102
    Options
    If you are working out daily & are watching what you eat then it may be due to muscle weight. (Depending on your workout you may be burning fat but building muscle). Otherwise it may be due to stress. Sounds like you may be stressing yourself out because the scale may not be showing you immediate results (I had the same problem a while back). Continue your workouts and try not to weigh yourself everyday. I read that stress triggers a biochemical process where our bodies go into survival mode. As a result our bodies store fuel, slow down metabolism, and release chemicals which are more likely to cause the weight gain.
    As others have already mentioned, your body weight will fluctuate throughout the day. So, what I would suggest is to try and weigh yourself no more than 2 times a week and make sure you weigh yourself as soon as you wake up in the morning. (Also make sure you don't eat anything late night because you may end up weighing more that next morning). Hope this helps and good luck! (:
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is usually a girls reaction.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna try measuring myself from now on. Maybe if I don't get on the scale long enough, he'll get lonely and tempt me to come back to him with the promise of low numbers. How do you guys do your measurements?
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    You, sir, are amusing.

I'd add more to things, but it sounds like everyone is telling you whatever I'd suggest.

(Also Washington, whaaaat? )
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I used to never weigh myself. Like for 25 years. I ignored everything and blamed cheap foreign clothes and my dryer for tight clothes. When I finally started to pay attention I became a scale fanatic. I weighed myself after any event, like lunch. Or peeing. Or after a shower. I wanted to know when I lost weight. The exact moment it happened. I even learned how much each piece of my clothing weighs. Doing this did increase my exercise, going to and from the scale. Now I weigh once a day, in the morning while the coffee is brewing and after I pee. Had I been so dedicated to the scale years ago, I wouldn't have had to learn this at such an embarrassing weight.
  • grneyedgoddess77
    grneyedgoddess77 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Washington!!!!! ;)

I just hid my scale in a closet. I will let it come out once a month, when it will hopefully have learned it's lesson. Measurements ftw!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Sadly you don't get immediate feedback. The data you have are worthless, at least with respect to knowing if what you're doing is working. It isn't fat retention or fat loss. It isn't muscle gain or muscle loss.

You have to stay on the horse for a little while. Your weight will fluctuate.

downtrend-trend-line.png

So true. Every time I lose weight it looks like that.

I would like a wifi scale that has no display. I stand on it daily or weekly and it tells me nothing but transmits the number to an app. The app alerts me ONLY when my x-week average is over y. I bet the Withings wifi scales do that, don't they? Well, if you tape over the display.
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options

No this is a persons reaction. Women are just allowed to express it in our society. The posters gender has nothing to do with the frustration they feel while trying to lose weight.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    I do my measurements very half assedly... I finally gave up and went with the skinny-jeans-as-measurements method. I attempted to do:
    the widest part of my waist,
    the widest point on my thighs,
    my bulging bicep (<-- check it out! that didnt used to be there... I'm pretty proud of it)
    and the widest part of my hips/butt

I'm just apparently not that good at sticking to the same spot because after 6 months and dropping several sizes and replacing my skinny jeans twice I somehow had the same measurements if not higher in most of the stuff I measured. makes not one bit of sense.
  • bkw99508
    bkw99508 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Happens to me all the time....then "whoosh"

then......

up down up down up down

then......

"whoosh"

I say as long as you remain consistent and the trend line is downward, you are golden. :happy:
  • NevSylar
    NevSylar Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh in so much. Try to only weigh in once a week. I'm doing once every other week because I used to obsess with the scale and felt just like you when there was no loss or even a gain and it's frustrating and discouraging as hell. So this time I'm focusing more on long term goals than short and trying not to stress too much about the scale. Keep your eyes on the prize. Don't let it knock you down!! Good luck!!
  • MonicaA2013
    MonicaA2013 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. But i knew that your weight "changes" daily so it was not much of a shock when i saw the up tick instead of the down on some days. What i was hoping for in the beginning was that "instant gratification" loss. Was a bit upset that it didn't start till almost a month in before i really got some loss on the scale. It does take time for the body to adjust to the changes that we are putting it through. And as others have said if you are adding different or more exercise then that will affect it as well. Just give your body time to react to the changes and things will start going the right direction for you. Good Luck
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Can't tell you how many times I've gotten all excited at the scale telling me I suddenly gained a pound or more of LBM... Only to realize later that it was just poop. Unlike some posters here, I weigh in EVERY day. But I don't care what the scale says today. I watch the trends over time. Seeing how much my weight varies from one day to the next has helped me take the scale less seriously. It's hard for me to imagine basing one's progress on a single weekly weigh-in.
  • xoeva
    xoeva Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I agree it's frustrating that the weight just doesn't go down down down down... This morning I weighed 162 and 2 hr later (after breakfast) I weighed 159 (the # I've been for a while now..) weird... also, water retention sucks.... AND perhaps after so much exercise you are gaining muscle which weighs more?
  • ProgressNotPerfection32
    Options
    I don't have much to add. I used to weigh once a week and obsessed all week, ALOT the day before weigh in day.........lead to all sorts of bad habits that I will not mention.........SO after much prodding from a fellow MFP bestie, I started weighing DAILY. My Aria scale syncs with a nifty app that graphs my weight. After being PROMISED for weeks that I would, in fact, have to weigh daily for a few months, I WOULD see an overall downward trend. Even though I lose half a pound or less a week (average) I have my sanity back and what do you know.....my bestie was right! It fluctuates like crazy within a 3-5 lb range, but I see normal trends that happen on a monthly basis (aside from the obvious). *i should mention that my friend is obsessed with numbers, she's some crazy science loving goof who knows a thing or two ????

Good luck. Got to find what works for you and allows you to keep your sanity in tact.
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Sadly you don't get immediate feedback. The data you have are worthless, at least with respect to knowing if what you're doing is working. It isn't fat retention or fat loss. It isn't muscle gain or muscle loss.

You have to stay on the horse for a little while. Your weight will fluctuate.

downtrend-trend-line.png

A graph after my own heart. Here's mine from 2001-2002, when I weighed myself daily and took weekly averages. Note the way the averages smooth out the fluctuations:

8058380998_ed08a62411_b.jpg

Patience and perseverance will get you there. Keep on keepin' on.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    This is hilarious!!! Yes, throw his a&* out the window....or maybe it's a her. Lol. The increase could be due to a high sodium meal, or swollen muscles from lifting, or a million othe reasons. F the scale!!!! Try measuring once a month, instead, or maybe not weighing so often. I know, it's easier said than done. I'm addicted to weighing too. I've noticed that when I don't get stressed out about the scale though, that's when I lose most. I really think the stress levels keep me from losing. I'm waiting for the whoosh too. ;) And it is a thing, but I forget the "science" behind it. Lol. ;) I actually considered hiding my scale in my son's room, and telling him not to let me have it tonight. Bahahahaha.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Just thought I would keep this thread updated with my near term weight fluctuation and how that's going. So without further adue.

Update!!: I weighed in today and was the same low I was on Sunday. 237. So at least I'm not up to 238 or 239 right? But the interesting part came in the form of a metric I normally never give a damn about. Inaccurate bf percentage calculated by my "smart scale". I never pay attention to it. It fluctuates just as much as my weight does so I never even look at it but I did notice that the bf% was down 5% since last Sunday. What does that mean? Who knows. I don't believe I'm really down 5%. But the fact that it's consistently down makes me think maybe the scale deep down knows that I'm having a weight fluctuation and is hinting at me "hey dude. You're really a lighter weight but I can't show you just yet! So here's a hint".

Just made me think. Will keep this thread updated just for the hell of it. Mathematically I should weigh 235 on Monday. If I come back on Monday and weigh that, well then....we're back in business baby!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing yourself same day, same time. You can fluctuate up to 5 pounds or more in 1 day.

I weighed myself on Sunday and I was 237. Then weight myself yesterday at the exact same time of the day and was 237-238. Then I weighed myself today and I'm 239! Ahhhh! I'm going in reverse here. And I have been weighing the same time everyday. This is weird as hell. The scale must have something against me
    Weight loss isn't linear and small variances in your hormones and water make a difference.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

No this is a persons reaction. Women are just allowed to express it in our society. The posters gender has nothing to do with the frustration they feel while trying to lose weight.

Yeah, when I read that comment all I could think was "Well you're annoying, go away."