need more calories!

According to the nutrition guide for Insanity I should be getting about 2,300 calories a day. I'm having a hard time getting over 1,800 with eating healthy and steadily throughout the day. An average meal plan for the day looks like this:

Breakfast: 3 egg whites
1 piece of fruit (kiwi or banana)
1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
Green Tea

Then I have my Insanity workout

Lunch: Protein Shake
1 scoop protein powder (muscle pharm)
3 tbsp plain greek yogurt
1/2 frozen berries
2 tbsp almonds
1 tbsp flaxseed meal
10oz skim milk

Snack: Fruit (banana or pineapple)

Dinner: Chicken with Quinoa
Big Salad with a little bit of dressing

Snack: Protein Shake (just the protein and skim milk)
more fruit

I also drink plenty of water throughout the day.

So how can I boost my calories without buying expensive meal replacement bars?! I know I got to be missing something. Any help would be awesome. I've already lost 2 lbs in my first 5 days but i've heard that its best to do what the nutrition guide says. Help me!

Replies

• chayil_003
    chayil_003 Posts: 7 Member
    I have the same issue. I ride my bike around town. I live in El Paso with lots of hills. I am trying to lose weight and a 500 calorie deficit would put me at 2300calories, however I usually eat about 1850. I eat healthy too and eat until I am full, but am still under. Today I went up to 2600 calories but that is because I ate cheese and peanuts for a snack. I have been working with a nurse practicioner and she said to eat until I am full but e.at healthy and excerise. Hope this helps
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    is there a particular eating style you're sticking with? Just asking so I can adjust my suggestions :) looks like you're leaning towards a gluten free diet so I'll start with those types of foods:
    add a whole egg to your breakfast for one of those whites (yolks aren't evil I promise!)
    stir some almonds or pecans into your yogurt, or peanut butter

I use egg whites in my smoothies most days (wont add a lot of calories but it will boost your protein) and I'd throw some peanut butter or almond butter in there too. you can swap the skim milk for 2%

Also I have a hard time with having just a smoothie for a meal so I would probably drink that smoothie and have a salad with some chicken or fish on it.

veggies & hummus for your snack along with the fruit

Dinner is good, just add more, I keep my meat servings to around 3-6 oz most of the time but my husband will eat 8-10 oz of chicken at dinner to meet his goals (he's up around 2,800 calories a day... I pack his lunch for the day, its a little ridiculous!)

Feel free to check out my diary, its open. I eat 1700-2200 calories most days. I eat mostly clean but I have no dietary restrictions except for straight milk so you might not like everything in it :)
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    swap the whites for whole eggs
    whole milk not skim milk.

problem solved.

Who's next??
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Add yolks :/

Whole milk, olive oil in salad, peanut butter in Shake.

But FFS add yolks.
  • balesalicia
    balesalicia Posts: 80 Member
    Add some oil in. Good oils like coconut, olive, or sunflower oil will do the trick. Very nutrient dense and lots of calories! (beware of that at the same time!!! haha) Also, nuts and seeds( i like sunflower seed) are good nutrient dense foods with a good punch of energy (calories)
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    stop eliminating the fat.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Whole eggs for breakfast with vegies (omelette), perhaps cheese, cook in a good fat.

Have the yoghurt with fruit and protein powder as a snack. Have lunch similar to dinner. Dress your salad with fat based dressing (I mix homemade EVOO mayo with apple cider vinegar...delish! Perhaps add avocado or a sprinkling of nuts)

Use fattier meats - wild salmon, grass fed steaks with fat, chicken thighs etc
  • Sweet, awesome suggestions. Thanks for the help. I'll definitely be eating more peanut butter, whole eggs, and some fattier meats. I also plan on switching to 2%. Lets see how it goes!