Can sore muscles equate to weight gain?

Options
I am finally back to it and I am hitting it hard this time! I started back on my workout and calorie counting plan this week. I have committed to 2-a-day workouts, doing 30-60 on the treadmill twice a day. I have also done some high impact aerobics. I have been under my calorie goal all week. Not by a whole lot, but still under my goal of 1200 calories. My muscles are sore which I expected and after 4 days, I have now gained 2 lbs. Could it just be inflamation or water that is causing this read on the scale? I am a bit frustrated, but I am not giving up!

Anyone got anything on this one???

Thanks for listening!
Robbie Starr

Replies

• Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    It could also be that you're gaining muscle, which is denser than fat - the same size square of muscle would weigh more than the square of fat, just for an example.
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Sore muscles DO tend to accumulate water. Be patient. It'll drop off soon.
  • Serowland
    Serowland Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes, sore muscles are caused by a build up of lactic acid. The fluid will leave in a few days but keep up the exercise! The soreness will go away as well as the weight. Great job!
  • robbiestarr
    robbiestarr Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!! It is just hard to work that hard and not see any progress. I feel stronger, but I keep looking for that magic number on the scale!
  • Topbobdog
    Topbobdog Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    staying under 1200 calories and working out hard will cause more weight gain than weight loss because you are not eating enough calories to support your calorie loss it will also make your muscles sore and take longer for the lactic acid to leave out causing you to retain water.
  • CharleneM
    CharleneM Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I would mesure myself if I were you. I did that and when I wasn't losing, I checked my measurements again and I had lost inches...yay!! Good Luck, it will come soon enough.
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    New exercise regimes will often spur muscle building at a faster rate than fat burning will show you on a scale.

My question is whether you are eating enough. If you are eating a 1200 calorie diet, you should really think about eating back some of your exercise calories. I started here eating around 1800 calories (including exercise calories) and was losing weight great, and I decided to try and go for more, and lowered my calorie intake to 1600 calories (including exercise calories) and my weight loss actually slowed down while I did that. I put my calories back up, and my weight loss went back to the original rate.

Depending on your height and weight, it really may be worth experimenting with eating MORE :)
  • heathergatica
    Options
    I haven't come this milestone yet (just had a baby), but the same thing happened to me everytime i'd start working out in the past. I've always complained to my husband about it and always attributed it to muscle gain, however, he always argured you couldn't possibly gain that much muscle in matter of days. i knew it didn't make sense either, but SOMETHING was causing this weight gain, but i couldn't ever get a more logical answer. The lactic acid and water retention in sore muscles makes a lot of sense....THANKS FOR POSTING!!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I need to emphasize here: MUSCLE SORENESS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH "LACTIC ACID". Lactic Acid does not "build up". When it accumulates at the end of an INTENSE exercise interval, it is cleared very quickly. Lactic acid is not a "waste product". Drinking water will NOT "flush" it away (or anything else for that matter).

You've been doing this for all of, what, 4 days? You can't draw conclusions about anything in that short a period of time.

Initial increases in weight that occur when starting a program -- esp if you are trying to do 2 workouts a day-- are due almost entirely to: increased storage of muscle glycogen--when also includes increased water retention--and increases in your plasma volume. Those changes start to occur right away. You cannot "increase muscle" in 4 days, and while there might be some fluid retention associated with the microtrauma that occurs with muscle soreness, I don't think it leads to noticeable weight gain.

In any case, these are transient changes.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I am finally back to it and I am hitting it hard this time! I started back on my workout and calorie counting plan this week. I have committed to 2-a-day workouts, doing 30-60 on the treadmill twice a day. I have also done some high impact aerobics. I have been under my calorie goal all week. Not by a whole lot, but still under my goal of 1200 calories. My muscles are sore which I expected and after 4 days, I have now gained 2 lbs. Could it just be inflamation or water that is causing this read on the scale? I am a bit frustrated, but I am not giving up!

Thanks for listening!
    Robbie Starr

I am not surprised you are sore, how much and how often did you exercise before you hit it at twice per day?

Over training is a very real risk and unless you build up to it all gradually, you could be asking for injuries that may put you out of action for quite a while.

At first, you will be fine, sore but fine and then gradually, your body will start to tire and you will push on and continue, through all warning signs until one day, you will either pull a muscle, get something like tendonitis or worse.

Build up gradually, make sure you have rest days, stick to your eating plan and calorie intake. Consume LESS calories than you use up and you will lose the weight.

Training so hard at the beginning and you could end up with an enforced rest as your body cracks under the pressure.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It could also be that you're gaining muscle, which is denser than fat - the same size square of muscle would weigh more than the square of fat, just for an example.

It takes months and months and months for a woman not on steroids to build a pound of muscle.

Most likely, as stated above, it's water retention. It will go away.

And it's not lactic acid: http://www.active.com/mountainbiking/Articles/It_s_not_about_the_lactic_acid__Why_you_re_still_sore_after_yesterday_s_ride.htm
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Initial increases in weight that occur when starting a program -- esp if you are trying to do 2 workouts a day-- are due almost entirely to: increased storage of muscle glycogen--when also includes increased water retention--and increases in your plasma volume. Those changes start to occur right away. You cannot "increase muscle" in 4 days, and while there might be some fluid retention associated with the microtrauma that occurs with muscle soreness, I don't think it leads to noticeable weight gain.

I agree with Azdak. For longer, and more detailed explanation (that says the same thing!) check out this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/117060-water-weight-explained-a-bit
    Keep at it, and your body will adjust and you'll lose the water that you don't need.
  • ldabao
    ldabao Posts: 8
    Options
    Here is a great article on muscle soreness. Regarding weight gain, you can draw your own conclusions. Don't stop the training, however, you will eventually feel and look better!

http://www.personalpowertraining.net/Articles/what_causes_muscle_soreness.htm
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    A two pound fluctuation is nothing. It's not anything. Fluctuations like that are normal and will occur a lot during your weight loss especially during that special time that only we women are lucky enough to get.

Focus on your progress over longer periods of time. If you're gonna weigh daily don't let little fluctuations like this mean anything to you, if that's impossible weigh less frequently.

Two workouts a day sounds excessive, unless maybe you think you need a long time and can only get your time in by breaking it up due to a busy schedule. #riskofinjury

You will have to eat more than 1200 calories a day if you workout consistently. That won't be enough cals for you. Look up TDEE and Scooby for your numbers that you will need.
  • purpleleopard76
    purpleleopard76 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    staying under 1200 calories and working out hard will cause more weight gain than weight loss because you are not eating enough calories to support your calorie loss it will also make your muscles sore and take longer for the lactic acid to leave out causing you to retain water.

I was just thinking the same thing. People who eat 1200 or under are doing more harm than good. Give your body what it needs - fuel. Average calorie intake for a woman is 2000 per day. To lose a pound a week you need a deficit of 500 cals so you should lose if you eat around 1500 cals a day. And if you exercise - eat back the calories or your just creating a bigger deficit.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    No. Gaining muscle is a *very* slow process. It didn't happen in a few days.
  • kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    You'll be pleased to know that you have not, in fact, gained 2lbs. Well not unless you ate a spare 7000 cals in the last couple of days!! 2lbs is a pretty normal fluctuation, could well be water due to muscle use, or maybe not, but it is absolutely nothing to worry about.

You can only judge true weight loss over a period of time and the scale is likely to go up and down all over the place in between. In fact if you only show variances of 2lb at a time you are doing pretty good. Tomorrow the scale could be telling you that you lost 3lb...don't celebrate, that didn't happen either, but if you keep at it you will see an overall decline in numbers.

p.s just watch that 1200cals, eating under it is not a good thing!!

good luck!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    There is really no need to do that much exercise, unless you are training for an event?

Quality of workout not quantity.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options

fully disagree, i do like 1200 calories a day (and been this way for like 4 months), i lift for 2 hours a day, do atleast 60 min of cardio a day, and i'm certainly not gaining any weight as a result.

if your muscles are sore (i do plyometrics every day) ingest protein within 30 minutes afterwards, it will fuel muscle recovery. (so a protein shake/protein bar/or some sort of food that provides 20g or so of protein).
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options

Thanks for listening!
    Robbie Starr

Why do you think you need to do two workouts a day? It seems a little excessive especially if you're just starting out. Don't burn yourself out on exercising by overdoing it in the early stages. To answer your question, yes muscle soreness along with starting a new routine can lead to weight "gain" via water weight. It's not permanent and will go away. That being said: You do NOT need to be under your 1200 calorie goal. You're already at a big deficit and you're only making it even bigger. You should be meeting your goal--not going under it.