Having a hard time trusting this

So since I feel like I've been eating super healthy and working out to the point of obsessiveness- eating 1600 calories a day. For a month I've been taking a break from eating super clean, and eating my maitenence calories and I feel like I'm really full and like I'm binge eating (2500 cals a day is my maitenence) and I don't appear to have gained weigh or inches (don't weigh myself) but how is it possible I was maintaining at 1600 and am maintaining eating 1000 calories more than that?

I'm 22, 5'8 and 135 lbs and work out 6 days a week mix of cardio and weights for an hour. Wow. How is this possible? Is it going to catch up with me?

Replies

• RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    I'm 38, I'm 5'9" and am just a touch lower than you, hovering between 125 and 130. My maintenance is around 2200, so it's absolutely possible your maintenance is 2500.
  • Wow!! So you maintain 125 on 2200 a day!! That's awesome! I can't wait til my body adjusts to all this extra food :) if you don't mind my asking, what were you eating while you were losing?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    With me, it eventually catches up. It's never linear.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    If you're eating at maintenance for a month, and you're maintaining your weight, you're at maintenance.

You're not going to all of a sudden wake up with a woosh weight gain. It doesn't work like that. If you eat a lot of extra sodium or you have a lot of undigested food you can temporarily gain lbs, but you won't gain fat overnight. The great thing about maintenance is that if things change, they don't change fast and you can make a minor adjustment and come back to baseline without much effort or purposeful dieting.

Relax, and enjoy your high metabolism!
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    On average, I was eating about 1400 to 1600 calories a day while losing. I originally only meant to get to 136, but I found it hard to increase my calories after hitting goal since I was doing this for about a year.

Eventually I increased them all the way to around 2200 (less during the week and more on the weekend), and ended about 5 to 10 lbs below goal.