Discouraged from working out in public.

Options
2»

Replies

• wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I figure that anyone judging me for working out and not looking like a supermodel is probably a tool, so their opinion doesn't matter to me.

The reality, though, is that you are not under a microscope. People are too busy doing their own thing to pay attention to you very closely. :glasses:
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Eh just but you butt; I respect the people in the gym who are really pushing themselves not matter what they look like. I respect people who try. Other opinions aren't even worth worrying about.
  • ATGsquats
    ATGsquats Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Nope. Easier said than done, but just focus on your workout, after all it's what you're there for.
  • AbsoluteFittest
    AbsoluteFittest Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I compare myself to others in the gym and think that I need to work harder. However, remember everyone has a different battle and that you are just fine for who you are. Try using your body for inspiration of what you want to achieve!
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I totally zone out and forget there are other people around me.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    So...throw on something baggy? There's no rule stating that workout clothes have to be skintight?
  • stercero
    Options
    Yes for many years. I just reflect on the thought that I'm there like most other people to achieve my fitness goals and that I'm doing good by being there with love handles or not. You could be anywhere else doing nothing about it but you're not.
  • stercero
    Options
    I wear men's adidas workout pants because they conform to my apple shaped body much nicer than women's fitness outfits. Wear what's comfortable for you.
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say discouraged but I do get self conscious. Being the only girl in the weight room as well as currently being challenged by the 12.5lb dumbbells (my muscles are huge, I know :smokin: ) can be quite humbling. But then I remind myself that my goals are my own and that's all that matters. I won't let nerves get in the way of having a bombshell body:)
  • SeattleJill
    SeattleJill Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You know, i used to. It prevented me from doing a lot of stuff I wanted to try. Something happened when I hit 35, and at my highest weight, where I just didn't care. I think my rebellious nature came out, or something. I just got this attitude of "If you don't like don't look at it". I must have been channeling repressed anger or something lol. So I just started going, no loose T shirts for me, they made me too hot. Yoga pants and cami's and tank tops. , People did pay attention to me and they did look. But the reaction I got wasn't judgement or scorn. Becoming a regular at the gym made me a part of some club of high fives and encouragement. People next to me on the treadmill cheered me on when I made it to ten minutes, then fifteen. People commented when I moved from 5lbs to ten. And it was the people at the gym who noticed first when this morbidly obese woman lost her first ten and 15 lbs, not an easy thing to tell on a big person. Who knew? The regular gym rats are my own personal cheer team now, the same people I was so afraid to even make eye contact with when I started. Don't let how you look scare you away. Every place has a douche or two, but the regular exercise community is hardcore protective and encouraging of people genuinely trying to get in shape and just starting out when they see you are committed. You'll make friends.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering, do any of you ever get discouraged from working out because of your body? I know, it seems like a circular argument, but sometimes putting on a tight work out bra and pants that show my love handles makes me feel like crap.

Stop wearing workout clothes that make you feel bad.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    265 pounds of no shame at the gym. I see girls half my size texting and talking instead of actually exercising. It motivates me to see that there are a lot of girls that have way more endurance and mobility to exercise harder, but I am actually the one exercising more than they are. :)
  • Mellyajc
    Mellyajc Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Yes it's happened to me. Self consciousness used to get in the way.

What helps is realizing that they are also people.

I LOVE being out on the running trail and getting the smiles, waves (and once even a hug!) from strangers. Some on bikes, some running, some walking. But we're all OUT there. It's like a secret we all know...how awesome it is to be out on the trail getting fresh air and sunshine on this little trail.

I know I can run because I'm a runner..but I wasn't always. I used to NOT run because I would have been a wannabe. But it turns out, under there, was a runner!

Doing something easy is easy. Doing something that's hard (like getting started), is a challenge, and I have SO MUCH APPRECIATION for anyone willing to take that risk, get the guts to take hold of their own life, their own identity.

As a straight A student I always looked up to the kids who got Bs and Cs because I saw how hard they were trying, and I still feel like that is so much more worthy of pride than the grades that came so easily to me. Effort is something to be proud of. Daring to dream..not everyone does.

You. Are. Awesome!
  • cruciia
    cruciia Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    When I was about 12 I was overweight and rode my bike every day to try to lose weight, and someone drove next to me and shouted "Rissole" in front of my dad. It really affected me and for years I was very self conscious and extremely nervous to exercise in public.

Now i know that was just a stupid insult from a teenage boy trying to look good in front of his friends, it's too bad he had to put down a child in the meantime.

I still hate gyms and don't go during busy periods, but I think that is more because I am more concerned with what everyone else is doing than what I want to do and achieve.
  • johnny7625
    Options
    don't get dishearten focus on you little by little you will get there just be constant don't mind others cause it doesn't matter how you look there are mean people everywhere
  • Focusisfab
    Options
    People are watching you, they are looking to see if you will stay committed. There are people at the gym that YOU are inspiring right now with your consistency. That girl heavier than you; is thinking....If she can do It, I can do it. She cannot see herself as the size 2 hottlie in the sports bra, but she can relate to you. Keep on keeping on.

You will surely transform your body image as you go.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Yes. and my husband does too.

I just keep reminding myself it's not a social club. I'm there to get healthy and PTOEY on what anybody else thinks.

My husband first felt that way too - he didn't want to be among all these buff people using free weights and he'd feel really scrawny. I'm like, "really? Why do you care that other people there may be really buff and you aren't. That's why you're going there is to get closer to what they are." He finally decided that his goals of getting in shape were more important than being insecure about going to the gym.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I go running in the park, in tight ish clothing. I feel self concious when "real" runners come past, but smug when I think that there are hundreds of people who can't be bothered! Plus when I first went, I got some encouragement from a random family out walking when I lapped them a couple of times. They were like "keep going! pick those feet up!", really friendly. I think people who aren't exercising probably feel guilty and/or a bit inspired when they see people trying. Plus if you're really overweight, it's commendable to try to change that and many people will realise that.
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    When I weighed 225, someone shouted out from a passing red truck... "Keep Running FatBoy!"

I did just that and lost more than 85 pounds.

Point being: Dont worry what others think about your efforts to lose weight. Do it for yourself.