SODIUM UGH!

Options
2»

Replies

• GummyHuman
    GummyHuman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I only started paying attention to what went into my body after a doctor prescribed medication for high blood pressure and said things like "heart attack" and "kidney failure". Now that I am aware of what I *should* intake in terms of sodium, I can't believe the amount of sodium some foods have. You'd think a wrap would be a healthier option than bread, but not as far as sodium goes!

I definitely avoid fast food, frozen food and things from cans now that I am aware of sodium levels and their importance to me.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't give a s*** how much sodium I take in. There are so much more important things to consider

True there are more important things...such as child abuse...people starving or freezing to death...whole host of other things.

For those of us that have high blood pressure...while it might not take precedence over the things that I mentioned...whether you care about your intake...then sodium becomes as much a part of our weight loss and fitness health. High blood pressure can lead to other health issues which can lead to death.

What is an issue for one might not be for another...

Oh...one thing to thing about...for the majority of my life I had no blood pressure issues...always where it should be...no need to give a s*** about how much I consumed. Then one day I woke up...and the blood pressure was out of sight...and now stays there. So you might not give a s*** now...doesn't mean that you won't in the future.
  • Annie_01
    Options
    1205 is half the recommended level. Why are you trying to cut sodium?

That's almost the AHA's recommendation for an entire day. and she posted from one meal.

OP, if you want to start cutting your sodium intake, look at your daily food and see where you could eliminate or substitute foods to bring down sodium without sacrifcing too much in your macros.

It usually won't be vegetables. Meat will be high, but losing that will cause you to have to change many things to compensate for the loss of protein which tends to put you over in calories and/or sodium anyway. The exception being you can substitute a meat without added salts for cured or salted meats.

Most of the substitutions you can make will be dressings and sauces. In the above meal, I would replace the dressing, which was a sodium bomb. Look for one lower insodium or bring your own.

That is what I do. I look at each food to determine which one contributed to my sodium level. I have already eliminated a few things that I just can't have any more...started looking for lower sodium options.
  • Annie_01
    Options

They recommend for people with certain health issues such as high blood pressure to hold it at or below 1500.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't give a s*** how much sodium I take in. There are so much more important things to consider

I disagree…

While controlling calories, fat, etc. are paramount in weight loss, too much sodium is terrible for your blood pressure (and makes you retain water).

I've found that the more foods I can eat that are fresh/unpackaged, the easier time I have controlling my sodium intake. Eating prepackaged foods and eating out the main culprits of high sodium.
  • tlblood
    Options

She only told us about the amount of sodium in this one meal. Using half of the daily recommendation in one meal can lead to overdoing it for the whole day.
  • tlblood
    Options
    Something I've noticed is that when something is labeled 'light' or 'fat free', it tends to be higher in sodium. I checked out the nutritional info for Arby's and noticed that the 'light' Italian dressing was by far the highest in sodium - others were about 400mg less. By cutting calories and making the product 'light' they lose a lot of flavor and have to add it back in somehow, and loading it full of sodium is an easy way to go about doing so.

Or I could be way off, who knows?

So true!

I stopped eating reduced fat peanut butter for a similar reason! The reduced the fat and added extra sugar, so the calories per serving in regular vs. reduced fat peanut butter are EXACTLY THE SAME.
  • tskvaughn
    tskvaughn Posts: 114 Member
    Options

I definitely avoid fast food, frozen food and things from cans now that I am aware of sodium levels and their importance to me.

After my husband spent 29 days in the hospital with complications from quadruple bypass surgery (also found out he had type 2 diabetes) we met with a nutritionist. One thing she told us really stuck in my mind, "If you can buy it from your car window, consider it poison."
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Now I want Arby's.. :sad:
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options

I disagree…

While controlling calories, fat, etc. are paramount in weight loss, too much sodium is terrible for your blood pressure (and makes you retain water).

I've found that the more foods I can eat that are fresh/unpackaged, the easier time I have controlling my sodium intake. Eating prepackaged foods and eating out the main culprits of high sodium.

Seems the older you get it the more it makes a diff.
  • PoeRaven8991
    Options

True there are more important things...such as child abuse...people starving or freezing to death...whole host of other things.

For those of us that have high blood pressure...while it might not take precedence over the things that I mentioned...whether you care about your intake...then sodium becomes as much a part of our weight loss and fitness health. High blood pressure can lead to other health issues which can lead to death.

What is an issue for one might not be for another...

Oh...one thing to thing about...for the majority of my life I had no blood pressure issues...always where it should be...no need to give a s*** about how much I consumed. Then one day I woke up...and the blood pressure was out of sight...and now stays there. So you might not give a s*** now...doesn't mean that you won't in the future.

I currently do not have high blood pressure. I am trying to avoid ever having a problem with is as it does tend to run in my family. Thanks for a great post and the advice! :heart: