should cooking be included in the exercise diary?

Options
Hi everyone, it usually used to take 90 min to prepare food in a day before. Now i prepare separate food for myself and the rest of the family which comes to around 150 min. Should it be included in the diary or taken as a part of my sedentary lifestyle?

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Are you doing push-ups when you prepare food or just standing in the kitchen?
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    I don't count it, although I know some people do. I don't count cleaning either or anything else that I do on a daily basis.

To me, if I don't get my heart rate up and I don't break into a sweat, I don't count it. If I burn some extra calories doing it then that is a bonus.
  • Mellyajc
    Mellyajc Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    What 2essie said. I have stairs in my house, but I don't count going up and down in daily living as anything worthy of logging. I think those things are factored into metabolism as the body gets used to them, and I feel like if I logged those things I'd be cheating for the extra calorie allotment. It works in my favor to do the opposite and overestimate my calorie intake and underestimate my burns.
  • shubhajp
    shubhajp Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I too donot log the cooking in my diary but out of blue a silly doubt started eating up my brain and i wanted to clear it. Thank u for clearing it up. I am gonna check my weight on monday. Eagerly waiting for monday to see how many pounds have i lost since dec 25th.
  • BunBun85
    BunBun85 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    When I fold my laundry I do squats and standing calf raises so I go ahead and record that at half the time I actually did it. You could try to incorporate some static yoga poses into your food prep!
  • DaddyDave101
    DaddyDave101 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Unless the oven is powered by treadmill I would say no ;-)

Inevitably... do what makes you happy, I always think these calculations surely cant be 100% accurate so therefore anything extra you can do to ensure you are burning more than you have set yourself will only benefit you
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    Good luck with the weigh in.
  • impossibleBadWolf
    impossibleBadWolf Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I logged everything I could find to log for one day, just out of curiosity and I found that not only the calorie estimates way high for some (most) of those activities, but it caused my diary to tell me I was starving myself for not eating back all those calories. So no, I wouldn't log it. I never log the stuff I do everyday like the walking I do at work ( which is a lot, actually) or the stairs I climb to my apartment, etc. I only log the things I do that are actually me making an effort to exercise and lose fat, gain muscle, be healthier.
  • shubhajp
    shubhajp Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank u 2essie.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, it usually used to take 90 min to prepare food in a day before. Now i prepare separate food for myself and the rest of the family which comes to around 150 min. Should it be included in the diary or taken as a part of my sedentary lifestyle?

Are you serious with this? lulz.