High cost of obesity

SouthernBell86
SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey everyone!
So many of us on MFP are or have been obese. We have come here to deal with it and get in shape and gain a new take on life.

I have already lost 10 pounds, and am very determined that I will lose the weight this time, but in the last week I have had a major wake up call about one of the many reasons that obesity is not something I want to be a part of my life in the future.

I just graduated from college in may, so my university group insurance policy expires this month, and for the first time ever it is up to me to buy individual health insurance. A scary undertaking.

I chose the exact same policy my sister has, and she is 30 (I'm 24). She said she thought my policy ought to be cheaper than hers because I am younger. I did the application and got approved, but when they called to discuss the details they informed me that my rate would be $167 a month!!! That is $70 more than my sister's policy. Insurance companies see my lifestyle as being significantly more risky than I had previously viewed it myself.

I can't tell you how shocked I was, I mean I am a pretty healthy person as far as these things go. I haven't ever had to go to the hospital for anything, I've had the flu like four times in my life, and only get a couple mild colds a year. My most serious medical event was having the chicken pox when I was 8, or maybe spraining my ankle when I was 12. I went to the on campus doctor a few times to get a note for class, but I really didn't need any medical services.

Is my obesity really that much of a ticking time bomb? Must be...

Well anyway I decided to buy a short term 6 month policy for now, which was much cheaper. I was already determined, but this just gives more reason, and a sure date in the future that I really need to have lost a certain amount for.

What are some things that you have realized was a high cost of being obese or overweight?

Replies

• sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    I have not been able to afford insurance on my own since 2001. I go to Planned parenthood for my female needs and suffer at home if I have other troubles. I was lucky enough to find a low cost doctor here in my town to see me about my bloodwork........but if I was hospitalized I would be forced to go to county and likely not gonna get the care I need.

Good for you for your loss thus far and keep it up, pretty soon, you won't have to worry about such things.

:flowerforyou:
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    I saw something on Dr Oz about this. The amount of money people spend on keeping fit vs the amoiunt people will spend in medical bills due to obesity. The medical bills were much, much higher. I feel the same as you. I think it's not hitting us yet because we are young, that's why we still have time to get our act together and we should! Good post!
  • What state do you live in - some have programs for the uninsured - maybe spend a little more time looking into it - it's important to have some insurance or other plan jic
This discussion has been closed.