Help sugar addict

Options
Hi everyone I have a ok diet I eat 2 meals , umm I skip breakfast and need to sort that out lol. But the main thing I'm finding really difficult is kicking my sugar cravings. I've switched to diet fizzy drinks and lost 6lbs alone so I know most of my calories is sugar based. How do you guys and girls fight your urge to snack on sugary foods?

Replies

• beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Well, first of all you need to stop skipping meals because that messes up your blood sugar.

I have a god awful sweet tooth, but I find I crave sugar the most when I'm dehydrated. So, make sure you're drinking a lot of water. Also, when I want something sweet, I swap cookies, candie, etc for fruit. It gives me the sweetness I crave but is so much healthier. Cut out sugar for a month and you won't even want it anymore.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    The good news is, you're not addicted.

The knowledge of how much better and fuller I feel, and how much easier it is to stay within my calorie goals with nutrient dense food affects my food choices.
  • mrshudson813
    mrshudson813 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I agree with both posts above mine. Make sure you stay hydrated, and not by drinking diet soda. Drink plenty of water to ensure your brain is not getting mixed signals about whether it is hungry or just thirsty. Also, once you kick the "habit", you will feel so much better. Just stick with it!
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Why can't she drink diet soda?
  • boxpunk
    boxpunk Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    not sure if this might help you but I like to treat myself once a week. I love sugar, I love sweets, I love chocolate. so I made vegan brownies and every week I have a piece. gives me something to look forward to. if you're interested in brownies I use one box of ghirardelli double chocolate brownie mix, 15 ounce can of black beans rinsed, and a cup of water. is in a blender I mix the black beans with 1/2 cup water until pureed, poured into the brownie mix and then I use the other half cup of water too kind of rinse the blender of the remaining bean mix and pour it into the brownie mix. bake at 325 for about 30 35 minutes and you're good.
  • skald98
    Options
    I'd just insert oatmeal or cereal into the breakfast slot and you'll find your cravings are not as strong. I find that if there is something moving in my system I don't get as caught up in the sugar cravings.

I am a soda pop junky and every time I fall off the wagon and start gaining weight it's because of that habit.

Food journals also help a lot. Don't forget a cheat day.
  • nicoleisback
    Options
    Sugar is not evil, it's just how you consume it that can be bad. That being said, you can always try some alternatives. If you can't forgo the 'bubbles' I would suggest investing in a soda stream. Make up some green tea and chill it in the fridge. Add some honey (when hot) or stevia for sweetness, then make bubbly. It will fulfil your craving for bubbles, and have the added bonus of being low calorie and full of antioxidants.
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    I have cut out fizzy drinks completely. Was shocked at how much I was consuming.

If I crave sugar I eat fruit or yoghurt. I take fruit around in my back with me all the time now. I would rather eat an orange then pop to the shop and buy a bar of chocolate and a can of coke. The craving just goes once I've eaten some fruit!
  • callyart
    Options
    Sugar is not evil, it's just how you consume it that can be bad. That being said, you can always try some alternatives. If you can't forgo the 'bubbles' I would suggest investing in a soda stream. Make up some green tea and chill it in the fridge. Add some honey (when hot) or stevia for sweetness, then make bubbly. It will fulfil your craving for bubbles, and have the added bonus of being low calorie and full of antioxidants.

Awesome idea!
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Also an addict. I have found that cutting out mostly processed foods has really helped. Who knew? I was a soda, bread, cheese, crackers, chips, etc., junky.

You must maintain and even blood sugar throughout the day so you do not have that "drop". Once you have a blood sugar dive, you have to eat more sugar for a boost. I still have my morning coffee with my table sugar but I also eat breakfast with fresh foods with a meat source with fat to maintain an even blood sugar.

Not easy for sure. Basically eat fresh foods and meats and nothing from a "box". I am still new to this however I was able to quit soda without any cravings. It was weird.
  • callyart
    Options
    I am still new to this however I was able to quit soda without any cravings. It was weird.

I was able to do this too, I was preparing for a melt down!
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    I am still new to this however I was able to quit soda without any cravings. It was weird.

Your experiences coincide with all scientific evidence so far accounted for, there seems to be no physiological dependency - or addiction - to foods that have a higher proportion of sugar than others.
  • IronSmasher
    Options

Unfortunately, buying carbonated water and recycling plastic is still cheaper than running a sodastream.
  • Reagan89
    Reagan89 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have cut down to 1 500ml bottle a week diet only and am slowly coming off that lol I know why is called coke now :P
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    It's not had cocaine in it for quite a while.
  • AusEliza
    AusEliza Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Cordial really helped me ditch the sugar drinks. I would slowely decrease the amount of cordial I included in my water until one day I know longer had the need for sugar in my drink. Lol who this helps.
  • littleandysmom
    littleandysmom Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I completely understand the sugar cravings. Mine is usually in the later afternoon/evening. Did really well for almost four days this week, didn't have any cravings and was right on track. Then on the afternoon of the fourth day, it really hit me hard. Once I give in then it's downhill from there. It really feels like an addiction!!
  • beautifulwarrior18
    Options
    Why can't she drink diet soda?

Becuse aspartame is worse for you than sugar and its only going to fuel her addiction to sugar.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    Options

I would also suggest getting selzer water, squeezing a lemon or lime in it and adding a few drops of liquid stevia or if you know how to use them a stevia leaf. You get carbonation and sweetness with no added syrups, dyes or chemicals from the artificial sweetners in norma l diet soda. Just remember carbonation in moderation as it affects your calcium levels and bone density.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    Options

Your experiences coincide with all scientific evidence so far accounted for, there seems to be no physiological dependency - or addiction - to foods that have a higher proportion of sugar than others.

Who cares what can be defined as an addiction or strong cravings. This person is telling us that they have a strong craving for sugar that they aren't able to overcome. If you aren't going to be helpful don't comment.