Eggplant

Options
CALIECAT
CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
what is your favorite way to cook it. I got/ Hel[ one and don't know what to do with it

Replies

• xenaroadwarrior
    Options
    Maybe look up a Ratatouille recipe? Yum.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Ratatouille
    You can swap half the meat out of spaghetti or lasagna
    Eggplant Rollatini
    Vegetable lasagna
    Eggplant Parmesan
    Roasted Vegetable subs
    Eggplant Paninis
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,621 Member
    Options
    Eggplants absorb a lot of oil, so can be fatty. Here are two methods that don't use too much oil:

1. Slice slabs 1 cm thick. Brush with a little olive oil, season and grill on hot griddle pan for foreman grill..
    2. Prick with a fork and roast in hot oven until skin is blackened all over. Scoop out the flesh and use for dips such as baba ganoush.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/baba_ganoush_44415
  • GdeVries
    GdeVries Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Oh what not to do with egg plant! I love it grilled (a little olive oil and s+p) and then on a salad or sandwich, cubed it's great through pasta sauce. Sauteed. Pureed. Such good stuff!
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Grill it, peel it, chop it then mix it with oil, salt and chopped onions until it becomes homogenous. The old-fashioned way to do it is to chop the eggplant very fine but chopping it in large chunks and then using the mixer works great.

You can eat it as a spread or add tomatoes and serve as a salad.
  • SnoopysBitch
    Options
    EGGPLANT PIZZA!!

Slice the eggplant into big circles, bake at 350F for about 5-8 minutes, flip and bake for an additional 3-4 minutes. Then take the eggplant out of the oven and add your favorite pizza sauce (I like Amato's marinara sauce!) and some part-skim mozzarella, and bake for an addition 3-5 minutes or until cheese has melted as desired.

I typically just use cooking spray, but some people use olive oil. It's very low calorie and super yummy!! I love eggplant and have all kinds of recipes with it!
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Eggplants absorb a lot of oil, so can be fatty. Here are two methods that don't use too much oil:

1. Slice slabs 1 cm thick. Brush with a little olive oil, season and grill on hot griddle pan for foreman grill..
    2. Prick with a fork and roast in hot oven until skin is blackened all over. Scoop out the flesh and use for dips such as baba ganoush.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/baba_ganoush_44415
    I use similar methods and prefer to grill eggplant outdoors if weather permits, gives it a nice smoky flavor. After cooking the slices I marinate in vinegar and herbs for a simple dish or use the slices for sandwiches, salads, etc.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    thank you all for some really nice ideals. I cooked mine wit a spaghetti sauce and onions, But now ready to keep eggplant around more often . Wonderful recipes Thank you all. Gotta try the pizza one.

Marie
  • fujiko
    fujiko Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I use it together with zucchini instead of the pasta in a lasagne if I'm trying to eat low-carb. It's so tasty!
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Just now made the eggplant pizza, and it was SO good! Thanks!