The Big C

lee112780
lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been reading a book that a friend gave me about a diet that is mostly protein, and the book basically explains that all of the processed food nowadays is terrible ( agreed). However, it stated that splenda and other artifical sweetners cause cancer. I dont want that! So I looked it up on the National Cancer Institiute website. I basically found that it did cause cancer in rats, but no evidence that it causes it in humans. They have a bunch of links on the site from cell phone usage, to smoking, obesity, ect. Obesity and smoking came up HUGE on the scales. Just proves how bad being obese really is. However, I don't really understand what being obese has to do with cancer, does anyone know?

I will keep using my splenda by the way!

Replies

• sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Maybe it has something to do with more of you to attack........................heck I hope someone else chimes in cause I am with ya here.....stumped....

By the way I eat Low Carb.....I like it :)
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Ok I am not expert but I have heard that there is more and more evidence that many cancers are actually caused by different types of viruses......Obesity has makes our bodies weaker including our imune system...so our bodies don't fight as hard if we are overweight.....Ok it 4:30 in the morning if I not making sense please excuse.
  • crasula
    crasula Posts: 53 Member
    Before I got heavily into dieting and health I read a book by Mark Hyman. M.D. called Ultra Metabolism. It's a fascinating read simply due to the fact that it turns so many preconceived ideas about dieting upside down. I don't want to stray off topic too much but it makes sense to first understand that our bodies have evolved and developed from the days where we had to gather and hunt just to stay alive so it's a natural response to want to eat more as our body is going to force us to do it regardless of how hard we try because it never used to know when it was going to get its next meal. This is where your metabolism kicks in, as our bodies, to perform effectively both in dieting terms and to protect us from ill health (cancer included) require a balance of protein, fat and carbs but the key here is natural nutrients! If it's got a label or your ancestors weren't eating it then it's probably not ideal for your body......So this is where the interesting stuff kicks in.........

When you have that little snack or sweets/ candy which provide no nutritional value, your body really doesn't know what to do with it as it's not naturally geared to deal with the artificial substances which we've polluted ourselves with over the last 30 years, who are we to change our evolutionary development! These toxic preservatives and added ingredients all contribute toward obesity, cancer, diabetes , high blood etc. because they mess with our metabolism sending inaccurate messages through our body....basically it's like eating bags full of food with not nutritional value, you're body will keep craving food because it's not getting what it needs and you just keep eating. A perfectly balanced diet of whole foods actually suppresses your appetite, gives you energy, relieves stress, and even protects you against common colds!

It's a massive subject which I feel the above book covers much more eloquently than I do but if it's a subject which is close to your heart (should be if you're on this website) then I recommend reading it as it's given me a completely different slant on my eating and lifestyle habits.
  • lee112780
    I quit smoking too! And gained 30 lbs lol...thats why Im here! Better off not smoking tho...good for u! I try to guard myseld against Cancer ...but it seems like EVERYTHING causes it!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    A simple explanation that I was given is that toxic substances can easily be stored in fat cells. People with more fat cells can, therefore, store more toxic chemicals that cause cancer.
  • lee112780
    A simple explanation that I was given is that toxic substances can easily be stored in fat cells. People with more fat cells can, therefore, store more toxic chemicals that cause cancer.

ok that makes sense. I thought we never lose our fat cells though.
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    I have heard that in women, fat cells secrete estrogen which has been shown to increase the risk of breast cancer. I could be way off base though!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member

ok that makes sense. I thought we never lose our fat cells though.

Your fat cells expand and multiply when you gain weight and it contracts/shrink when you are losing weight. They only way you can get rid of fat cells is through liposuction.
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    I found a website that does outline the connection between obesity and cancer. You might want to check it out.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/obesity

Vickie
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    an excerpt from the website I posted: this might help others understand the connection.

"In 2001, experts concluded that cancers of the colon, breast (postmenopausal), endometrium (the lining of the uterus), kidney, and esophagus are associated with obesity. Some studies have also reported links between obesity and cancers of the gallbladder, ovaries, and pancreas (4).

Obesity and physical inactivity may account for 25 to 30 percent of several major cancers—colon, breast (postmenopausal), endometrial, kidney, and cancer of the esophagus (4).

Preventing weight gain can reduce the risk of many cancers. Experts recommend that people establish habits of healthy eating and physical activity early in life to prevent overweight and obesity. Those who are already overweight or obese are advised to avoid additional weight gain, and to lose weight through a low-calorie diet and exercise. Even a weight loss of only 5 to 10 percent of total weight can provide health benefits (4).

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/obesity
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    to (maybe) set your mind at ease over the artificial sweeteners: the rats that developed cancers after ingesting them were fed a diet of massive amounts of them. basically they had aspartame to eat and very little else. I don't imagine that you eat anywhere near the amounts that were given to those poor rats. So enjoy your sweetener, and I think you'll be ok.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member

DITTO
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    I have heard that in women, fat cells secrete estrogen which has been shown to increase the risk of breast cancer. I could be way off base though!

You are right! The link that vickiele posted has the explanation.
This discussion has been closed.