New to the Message Boards

Options
I am no stranger to MFP, but I've never posted in the message boards. I've been told that sometimes its easier to be honest with total strangers than with your closest friends, whom you're afraid to disappoint. I started using MFP a little less than a year ago and was consistently losing for about 5 months. I lost about 35 lbs. But then my daily routine changed and it became harder and I got less dedicated. I've gained back about 8 lbs now. It was so hard for me because I'm beating myself up thinking that I know what works and I know what I need to do to lose, but I just can't make myself do it!
I'm needing some new motivation to continue my weight loss journey. I still have about 100 lbs that I'd like to lose. Anyone out there with stories of how you fell off the wagon and got back on? It seems like starting over is the hardest part! TIA :)

Replies

• jjennyb4
    jjennyb4 Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I have fallen off the wagon... gained back 10lbs and currently have 8lbs of that to still lose. Good luck, I know we can do this. Add me if you would like.

sw - 185
    cw- 113
    gw - 105
  • KCFlossie
    Options
    Like you, I'm not new to MFP, I've been using the app off-n-on for well over a year and promote it to other people. But today is the first time I've posted to the message boards. And like you, I keep beating myself up because I can't seem to be able to stick with it. This morning I finally acknowledged that I need some friends to help hold me accountable, and also that by supporting others, I will be supporting myself. So I'd welcome you (or anyone ) as a friend and will do my best.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Even with gaining 8 lbs. back, you're still down 27. That's an accomplishment!

I haven't fallen off the wagon, but I did deliberately aim for eating at maintenance for about 3 weeks from mid-December through the first week of January. I actually gained a pound or two instead, so I learned something about what I need for maintenance. On Jan. 8, I told myself that it was back to the calorie goal I had had before the holidays.

I don't have any special motivational tricks. I know that I can do it, I'm not satisfied with the extra weight I'm still carrying, and I know that the short-term pleasure of eating more would be outweighed by my long-term disappointment if I reach the summer and I'm not at my target.

It might help you to make two lists: a list of reasons to lose weight and a list of reasons not to lose weight. Which reasons are better? And you can think about how you felt when you were losing weight, vs. how you feel now.

And if internal motivations don't work, what about an external incentive? There are websites such as Beeminder.com that allow you to pledge an amount of money that you lose if you don't make incremental progress toward your goal. Or you could give some money to a friend and tell them to give it to an organization that you hate if you fail to meet your goal. But I think internal motivation is a better thing to seek.

Good luck!
  • j_ballou0907
    j_ballou0907 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It
  • j_ballou0907
    j_ballou0907 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It seems so silly because I know what works, having been successful in the past. The human mind is such a difficult thing to overcome! Thanks for the ideas!
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    1. Pain is part of growing.
    Sometimes life closes doors because it’s time to move forward.  And that’s a good thing because we often won’t move unless circumstances force us to

2. Everything in life is temporary.
    Every time it rains, it stops raining. Every time you get hurt, you heal. After darkness there is always light – you are reminded of this every morning, but still you often forget, and instead choose to believe that the night will last forever. It won’t.

3. Worrying and complaining changes nothing.
    Those who complain the most, accomplish the least. It’s always better to attempt to do something great and fail than to attempt to do nothing and succeed.

4. Your scars are symbols of your strength.
    Don’t ever be ashamed of the scars life has left you with. A scar means the hurt is over and the wound is closed. It means you conquered the pain, learned a lesson, grew stronger, and moved forward.

5. Every little struggle is a step forward.
    In life, patience is not about waiting; it’s the ability to keep a good attitude while working hard on your dreams, knowing that the work is worth it. So if you’re going to try, put in the time and go all the way.

6. Other people’s negativity is not your problem.
    Be positive when negativity surrounds you. Smile when others try to bring you down. It’s an easy way to maintain your enthusiasm and focus. When other people treat you poorly, keep being you

7. What’s meant to be will eventually, BE.
    True strength comes when you have so much to cry and complain about, but you prefer to smile and appreciate your life instead.

8. The best thing you can do is to keep going.
    Don’t be afraid to get back up. Don’t be afraid to love again. Don’t let the cracks in your heart turn to hardened scar tissue. Find the strength to laugh every day. Find the courage to feel different, yet beautiful. Find it in your heart to make others smile too. Remember that you don’t need many people in your life, just a few great ones