Can you exercise too much?

Options
I am new to this program and have set a goal for myself to exercise 160 minutes a week. I've been doing good the last few weeks (even loosing some weight!) and have made the goal. I was wondering if it was okay to exercise every day, or if I should be taking days off. I don't do any strength training (not yet at least) so it would be mostly cardio. When I exercise, I feel a little more comfortable eating back those calories I burned.

Any thoughts/guidance?

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend you take at least one day off a week.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with exercising every day, but you need to vary your sessions to avoid overuse injury and to give yourself some recovery time.

When you say "Cardio", what do you mean? That covers a multitude of scenarios from using exercise DVDs through to long distance running, each of which bring a whole different set of challenges.

It's worth including some resistance training in your programme, that helps mitigate the loss of muscle through weight loss and reduces your risk of injury through high impact CV work.
  • Tomboly1
    Options
    Thanks for the responses!
    I've been doing 30 minute sessions of Pilates step aerobics at home, and then 45-50 min of lap swimming 2-3 times a week. I try to alternate them so I don't get bored or get used to doing the same routine.
    I agree it would be a good idea to add some resistance training at the gym to keep building my muscles. Any suggestions to start out with weight training? I've never really done it before so I feel lost looking at all the machines in the gym
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals and fitness level.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I personally think it's fine. Nothing wrong with being active every day. Lifting weights every day isn't advisable but you said you aren't doing that. Think about people that live on farms, I'm sure they are active in one form or another every day. Lol.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses!
    I've been doing 30 minute sessions of Pilates step aerobics at home, and then 45-50 min of lap swimming 2-3 times a week. I try to alternate them so I don't get bored or get used to doing the same routine.
    I agree it would be a good idea to add some resistance training at the gym to keep building my muscles. Any suggestions to start out with weight training? I've never really done it before so I feel lost looking at all the machines in the gym

That sounds fine, although for swimming mix up your strokes, breast stroke in particular puts quite a load on the knees.

As far as weight training is concerned I'd suggest starting with bodyweight work; google "you are your own gym" for some ideas. That'll help you start to build up the capacity. Health warning on that, I get bored mindless doing weight training so it's a chore for me. If you find you enjoy it there are a number of routes you could take. I'd rather spend my time running or cycling.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights every day isn't advisable but you said you aren't doing that.

That depends on your routine. You wouldn't want to hit the same muscles two days in a row though. Its not unheard of for some to have a weight training routine that doesn't take a day off.