A Few Gym Etiquette Questions

Options
I just got back from the gym and made it through the workout without being able to get a deadlift in because all the power racks were taken. I got my squats in because I asked a guy if I could work in with him (something I have never done before!), but I didn't want to do my deadlifts while he was squatting. Anyway, 2 questions:

1. When you're working in with someone random, is it weird/encouraged/expected/whatever that they try to motivate you? When I was struggling on my last rep during at least 2 sets, this guy (who I have never seen before in my life) was like "ooh, you got this!" (I'm not complaining, just genuinely curious.)

2. My gym has like 6 power racks and about 300 benches. As such, all the power racks were taken, but there were at LEAST 8 open benches. Would it have been fair game to jack a bar from one of the benches to do my deadlifts, since nobody was using the benches?

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I've never worked out with anybody before so I don't know about your first question. The most conversation I've had with some random guy at the gym is "hey, can I steal this *bar/plate/whatever*?" if it was in his area and he wasn't using it. But I think it's nice that he was trying to motivate you.

And the rule I always go by when stealing bars from benches is, if there is more than one open bench with a bar, I would steal one. Because if someone else comes up wanting to do bench press, then there's still at least one open. But if there's only one left then I wouldn't. But that's just me, I don't think it would be rude of someone to do. It's there for anyone to use, you have the right to use it as much as anybody else does.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    1. No its not unusual for this to happen. Some people like to hear it, me personally I don't care for it. I usually tell the person nicely that I'm just looking for a hand if I can't get the last rep & tell them how many I plan on doing, otherwise I'm good.

2. Jack the bar. Nothing wrong with it. I do it all the time. If its busy, and there is only one bar left, I will ask those who I don't know their routine if they plan on using the bench soon. Takes me a minute to go and ask everyone.
  • terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    While it may seem strange and you may not feel comfortable with it, I don't think think its all that unusual for someone to provide some encouragement. Personally, I don't say much to people when I work in with them, or they with me. But, when I see that they are really trying and pushing, I'll give out some encouragement and be appreciative of it from them just to help me get that last rep or two.

As to the bar, I go to a small community gym that only has one bar. If it isn't being used, I take it for deadlifts. I would do the same in a larger gym. A bar is a bar and you need a bar for deadlifts.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

1. When you're working in with someone random, is it weird/encouraged/expected/whatever that they try to motivate you? When I was struggling on my last rep during at least 2 sets, this guy (who I have never seen before in my life) was like "ooh, you got this!" (I'm not complaining, just genuinely curious.)

2. My gym has like 6 power racks and about 300 benches. As such, all the power racks were taken, but there were at LEAST 8 open benches. Would it have been fair game to jack a bar from one of the benches to do my deadlifts, since nobody was using the benches?

1. I think it's probably a regional thing. At the gyms I go to here, hardly anyone comments unless they've already spoken to you once or twice before. And if they did, it would be fine with me. I'd appreciate it.

2. I would go for it, but I go to a smaller gym and everyone is pretty nice to each other and no one seems to get bent out of shape for something like what you've asked about.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    1. Sometimes
    2. All the times
  • infamousdrew76
    infamousdrew76 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    1. It happens...appreciate it!

2. Jack the bar and use it!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    1. Sometimes
    2. All the times

+1
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    1. Sometimes
    2. All the times

+1
    +2
  • Dgydad
    Dgydad Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I think 1) was just someone being personable. On 2), I'd say "jack" the bar; but I'd also admonish you to return it to the bench when you're done. People who just drop stuff where they are when they're done using something p*** me off....
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    1. No not unusual. I would appreciate the encouragement and would provide it as well.

2. Take the bar. No problems with doing that.