Starting with just walking...

Options
So, I have asthma and recently quit smoking (was for 2 years in college... I know, it was dumb...) and so running right now seems totally out of the question. I'm getting winded just walking at approximately 3.5 mph for 20 minutes (when I get winded my chest becomes constricted and breathing becomes labored). When I go to babysit, the family has a wii so I'm making an effort to play Just Dance every time I go over there too, to get some extra cardio in.

Just starting out working out for the first time seriously in months and I'm only walking and dancing as of now, is this a good idea? Is there more that I should be doing or is starting slow and gradually adding more the way to go?

Replies

• whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    I "just walked" for a good four months before adding any real running - walking accounted for most of my ~40 pounds lost and is still my main "cardio." I started out with a morning walk to the corner store and back, less than a mile, but was soon walking 5-10 miles a day and climbing stairs for fun. I ran my first mile on a treadmill in July or August, and my first 5k race in October.

In addition to weight loss (almost exclusively fat loss), I found I could breathe easier, rest better, and endure more - and my heart rate and blood pressure were great. There are many people here on MFP who've had great results from just walking. Do what you can now, and a week from now you'll be able to do more, so then do more.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    just moving is good- so whether its walking, playing just dance, parking further away, etc-- just moving is great

keep it up and you can amaze yourself in the results
  • CharlieB145
    Options
    Yes I agree walking is a great tool for exercising and its free and you can do it at your leisure. Go for it, just bring good music along the time goes by in no time and slow down if you have too.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I walked in the beginning. Your lungs will get stronger the more you do it and it won't be as hard to breathe. Keep up the walking for now. Make it a goal to increase distance and speed.

After awhile, you will feel stronger. Then start using a program like c25k to start running. I did this program and it was great for me. I couldn't run a block literally before starting that and now run four times a week for the last three years.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I agree with earlier posters, in particular if you work up a bit of sweat and your pulse increases. When you're ready, there's a great couch-to-5K group here for beginner runners; come join us!
  • lisab64mfp
    lisab64mfp Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I "only" just walked (usually 1 1/2 miles most days of the week) until I hit my goal weight (50 lbs lost)... You don't have to "kill yourself" exercising to hit your goal weight.
  • bleep
    bleep Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yep, walking is cool. I pretty much only walk for exercise. I do run occasionally if I'm trying to squeeze something in quickly. But usually I like to watch something on Netflix or Youtube (usually 45 min or so Documentaries) or listen to Pandora and just get a nice long walk in.
  • dixeyk
    dixeyk Posts: 20
    Options
    Walking is great.

I lost 15 pounds just walking to work every day (about 6 miles round trip) instead of driving or taking the bus. it was pretty cool because it was just par tot my day. I also got home relaxed and in a good mood. I keep a change of clothes, towel and doederant at work in case I have a meeting first thing.
  • airdiva1
    airdiva1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    So, I have asthma and recently quit smoking (was for 2 years in college... I know, it was dumb...) and so running right now seems totally out of the question. I'm getting winded just walking at approximately 3.5 mph for 20 minutes (when I get winded my chest becomes constricted and breathing becomes labored). When I go to babysit, the family has a wii so I'm making an effort to play Just Dance every time I go over there too, to get some extra cardio in.

Just starting out working out for the first time seriously in months and I'm only walking and dancing as of now, is this a good idea? Is there more that I should be doing or is starting slow and gradually adding more the way to go?

The best way!
    When I start walking in September, I couldn't walk 10 minutes without stopping and panting. But I stuck to it. I made it a goal just to walk a half mile slow and then increased my pace two weeks later.
    I don't have a job and my income is very limited. Can't afford a gym or any equipment,but I had some tennis shoes and time.
    Every two weeks I made a goal.
    Now I'm 33 pounds lighter! And now walk five miles six days a week.
    I'm trying to jog. But like when I start walking, making small goals. I jog 15 seconds on a lap. Then 20, 30 etc. I'm now up to a minute. I'm not in a race with no one and at my own pace.
    Take it one day at a time!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Walking is fine but I suggest you stop using 2 years of smoking as an excuse. When I started running I would get winded after half a block and have to stop and I never touched a cigarette in my life. In the 70s it was common for professional athletes to smoke. Getting winded isn't a reason to give up
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Depending on the severity of your asthma, I would think that if you can manage to dance for any amount of time, you may be able to build up to running gradually if you use a program like C25K (I used the Rundouble app to keep up with mine) or Zombies, 5k training (both on Android, but I think they're available for iPhone too). As with anything else, you should definitely do it only after talking to your doctor. Good luck with it!
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I lost about 50 pounds from mostly just walking. It can be done.

Try building up your speed and distance. Over time, you may find yourself running. Either way, getting regular exercise is a good idea.

Good luck!
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Walking is fine but I suggest you stop using 2 years of smoking as an excuse. When I started running I would get winded after half a block and have to stop and I never touched a cigarette in my life. In the 70s it was common for professional athletes to smoke. Getting winded isn't a reason to give up
    Oh indeed. When doing week 1 day 1 (W1D1) I thought I was going to die.

Here's the programme:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

And a site dedicated to couch-to-5K alone:
    http://www.c25k.com/

There are some in the C25K group, who have asthma. You can get tips from them. Several members have had lots of excess weight when they started the programme and numerous have fought themselves through it successfully. Like it's said over and over there, it's all about what happens up in the head really.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I have asthma too, / I started walking .. slowly at first and then faster. started swimming as well wheezing most of the session. after a couple of months I started to run a few yards in my walk and got my bike out of the shed. after a few weeks I was running more and walking less so I took the plunge and ran a mile. it killed me but it felt great as well. now a few months later I have entered a triathlon. my long run is 7.5 miles cross country and I swim about a mile per session with a few breaks. building up slowly is possible and it can work. its great that you are changing your life. just keep it up and stay consistent and you will do fine.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'm getting winded just walking at approximately 3.5 mph for 20 minutes (when I get winded my chest becomes constricted and breathing becomes labored).

Wouldn't worry, you're just unfit. It'll come in time. Keep the walking going and it shouldn't take long until you can go further and for longer.
  • MaquisJim
    MaquisJim Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I dropped 30+ last year and walking was the primary exercise~when I felt it wasn't doing enough I started jogging but knees weren't up to it (military + distance running years back) so I just started walking faster and achieved desired results (along with decent eating too :) ).
  • NomiS6
    NomiS6 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Just walking the dogs for an hour a day is all I do
  • nicoleisback
    Options
    I have dropped a lot of my weight just walking. I also have asthma and would suggest, if you want to get in to running eventually, start walking a little bit faster each time and try concentrating more on your breathing than anything else (obviously keep an eye on your environment). I find walking/jogging around an empty sports field is best for me as I know the ground is level and I just have to follow the fence. I find the more I concentrate on my breathing, the faster and further I can go without realizing, and it is actually a really good technique for if you have an attack.
  • tinafulcher1
    tinafulcher1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's a great start and no pressure on your joints. Also, you are in control so if your breathing becomes laboured you should still be fine.