Punishing myself with exercise in order to eat more

Options
124»

Replies

• SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Hi!

When I first came here, I decided to eat my TDEE -20/25% (about 1800 calories). Then I felt that I wasn't losing quickly enough (which is ridiculous because I only did it for a week or two), and I switched to MFP's method. I've been doing it for a week, and I've been obsessing over exercise, burning 400 or more calories per day so I can eat a normal amount. I've also been eating terribly. Yes, I know that junk food is fine, but I'm actually avoiding certain foods that I normally love.

My question is, has anyone experienced this feeling of punishing yourself with exercise to eat more calories?

And the more obvious question: Should I just shut up, stick with TDEE -20-25% and exercise?

I think you should pick a structured excercise program and never do it just to burn calories. If you are working toward improved strength and endurance in a systematic way you will be less tempted to stray since it will sabotage your progress if you wear yourself out on the days you are supposed to be using for recovery.

I think you should probably go for TDEE -10% maybe 15% since more deficit than that seems to drive you crazy.

Anyway 20% is pretty deep. I've done that, and personally never would again knowing what I know now. Deep deficits toss out good quality lean mass along with the fat. That just isn't a good long term plan for health, looks, or capability. 25% is not even worth considering.
  • SerenaKitty
    Options
    Hi!

When I first came here, I decided to eat my TDEE -20/25% (about 1800 calories). Then I felt that I wasn't losing quickly enough (which is ridiculous because I only did it for a week or two), and I switched to MFP's method. I've been doing it for a week, and I've been obsessing over exercise, burning 400 or more calories per day so I can eat a normal amount. I've also been eating terribly. Yes, I know that junk food is fine, but I'm actually avoiding certain foods that I normally love.

My question is, has anyone experienced this feeling of punishing yourself with exercise to eat more calories?

And the more obvious question: Should I just shut up, stick with TDEE -20-25% and exercise?

I think you should pick a structured excercise program and never do it just to burn calories. If you are working toward improved strength and endurance in a systematic way you will be less tempted to stray since it will sabotage your progress if you wear yourself out on the days you are supposed to be using for recovery.

I think you should probably go for TDEE -10% maybe 15% since more deficit than that seems to drive you crazy.

Anyway 20% is pretty deep. I've done that, and personally never would again knowing what I know now. Deep deficits toss out good quality lean mass along with the fat. That just isn't a good long term plan for health, looks, or capability. 25% is not even worth considering.

Thank you! Very helpful. I think structure would help me a lot. And a bit of patience wouldn't hurt. :wink:
  • SerenaKitty
    Options

I think you are taking in too many calories. The average woman should have 1200 per day in order to loose weight. Try lowering your caloric intake.

No!!!!!

Lol. I do understand why many people (especially women) think this way. They were raised to believe that 1200 is the magic number for weight loss. Just the other day, a girl asked a question about weight loss and an older lady said that no woman should need more than 1200 calories per day...even when maintaining their weight. Crazy stuff...

I'm 47 and yes that was exactly what I was taught, and it has only been in the past year that I have been able to change that mindset. Lo and behold it has only been since I've changed that mindset that I am finally on my way to achieving the body that I want.

Have to say though that just a few months ago a very young pt told me that there was no reason a woman my age or size should ever eat over 1200 a day, regardless of my strength training and cardio. Told me if I got hungry to eat 1/3 of a cup of oatmeal. :-/
    Thankfully he no longer works at the gym.

Wow! Talk about a miserable way to lose weight. Not too safe, either.

Congratulations! It sounds like you have a handle on your health now and that you are doing what is right for you. :smile:
  • rezn8
    rezn8 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Why are you down to 1200? Are you in a race to lose some weight? You should be eating your TDEE. If you cut too much for any amount of time you will slow your metabolic rate, not to mention you won't have enough fuel for your exercise routines. You should use exercise as a health benefit.
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Please do TDEE method. I tried 1200 in the beginning and it just wasn't enough for me. I think it would help if you changed your mindset about exercise, too. I started out doing it strictly because it would help me lose weight. Now I do it because it's so good for my body and beneath my layer of fat, I love seeing the muscles that are changing. I know that when I finish losing weight, I'm not going to be skinny, I'm going to be healthy and fit looking. And I'll be able to do things that I couldn't do 20 years ago. Took a while to get there but thinking of exercise as a punishment isn't going to help you learn to love it. I also love that I can eat a little more as well, that's an added bonus!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I think you are taking in too many calories. The average woman should have 1200 per day in order to loose weight. Try lowering your caloric intake.

Lolwut ?
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options

NO just NOOOOOOOOO please tell me you are kidding...if not...go educate yourself and stop spreading stuff like this on the interwebz!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Spacegirlley
    Spacegirlley Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'd never even heard of TDEE until this post. I've been trying to lose weight for years, and always thought the 1200 calorie a day thing was the way to do it. In the past 2 months I gave up and went stuff it, I'm more comfortable eating around 1700 calories a day. I thought it was strange that I actually started losing weight after deciding to eat more, and my exercise level hasn't changed any either. After reading through these posts and doing a bit of research on my own about it, it makes a bit more sense now. Even though after doing the calculations for TDEE - 20-25% it says I should be consuming 1765-1873 calories per day, I don't think I will try to increase the amount I consume each day. On the same note I won't feel so guilty when I have splurge days and reach 2000 calories given my TDEE is 2353.

Thanks everyone, especially the OP, for the heads up :)
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Exercising so that I can eat more works really well for me, but I don't see it as punishment or reward, I just see it as a reasonable weight loss plan that works for me. If you hate exercise, either keep trying new kinds until you find one you like or just focus on eating at a deficit for now.
  • ncast139
    Options
    @Serenakitty

Thanks!

~N~
  • wrenegade64
    wrenegade64 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'll have to google TEDEE cuz I have no clue what it is, regardless, I encourage you to keep the word "BALANCE" in perspective. I'm all about having spare calories to eat by bustin your butt with lots of excercise, but don't hurt yourself. The human body is a marvelous machine, but like any machine, it has limits. Take care :-)