Just over two weeks and less than a half pound loss.

Options
I'll admit I've had my guilty moments (trying a sample of a new cake at work, a sip of soda from my husband etc) but for the most part I have been at or below my calorie goal every day. I've been doing a bit of strength training (push-ups, squats) and at least half an hour of cardio every day or at least days when I am not at work and running around for wight hours. I try and keep my macros around what MFP suggests, and generally cook everything I eat myself.
I've noticed a couple pairs of pants fitting a bit better, and I can see and feel a bit of muscles under my stomach fat now when I flex, which is great and really encouraging but I've only lost less than a half of a pound.
My MFP suggested intake is 1420 calories a day, and I usually eat back 150-200 exercise calories more if I can get more than an hour work out in. My TDEE suggested I eat a lot more, like around 1900 calories. Am I just to early into my weight loss journey to see a real difference yet, or am I eating too much/little?

Replies

• hauhaut901
    hauhaut901 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Anyone giving their opinion will be pure speculation unless they can see what u've eaten :)
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    A sip of soda is nothing to feel guilty about. Food is not something to be ashamed about, just enjoy what you've had. As long as you eat mostly balanced and enough.
  • Indiri13
    Indiri13 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you just started your exercise routine two weeks ago? If that's the case then you probably are retaining some amount of water. When you try new exercises and work on muscles that you don't usually then your muscles pull in some extra water until they adjust.

With a TDEE around 1900 and eating 1420 then you will start losing about a pound a week but it may take a couple more weeks before you start to see it. If you want more specific advice from people you may want to open your diary so we can see how you're eating.

Also, as you are just starting out I suggest buying a tape measure and keeping track of your measurements. Measuring once or twice a month is what I usually do. There will be times that the scale won't move or may even go up but you'll see the measurements go down and know you are still on the right track. I gained two pounds (mostly water, probably) in the last few days but my measurements didn't go up and I know I didn't eat crazy calorie amounts so I'm not sweating it.
  • GLH2576
    GLH2576 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Are you being honest with yourself regarding how much you are eating? That is, do you weigh/measure everything or do you guess as to what the portion size is? If the latter I'd bet that you under estimate. Personally I do not add back exercise calories since I think that most of the time the number of calories burned is a wild guess.
  • MarKayDee
    MarKayDee Posts: 196
    Options
    Are you being honest with yourself regarding how much you are eating? That is, do you weigh/measure everything or do you guess as to what the portion size is? If the latter I'd bet that you under estimate. Personally I do not add back exercise calories since I think that most of the time the number of calories burned is a wild guess.
    I don't weigh absolutely everything but I do measure and weigh most things. I've gone from eating one meal at the end of my day to actually making myself eat at regular intervals. Food and I haven't been friends for a long time and I tend to let my "busy" schedule get in the way of taking care of myself. I assumed the first week I would probably gain some weight getting into a healthy eating pattern, I just worry that I'm not quite on the right track yet.
  • dezb64
    dezb64 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Without seeing your food diary it's hard to say what it is. You did say your clothes are fitting better so that is a great sign that you are making progress. You should get a tape measure and use it. Sometimes I am amazed at the small drop on the scale and great drop in inches. Make sure you are drinking lots of water or your body will hold onto it.
  • azdeha
    azdeha Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Also bear in mind the whole 'muscle weighs more than fat' thing people keep telling me about.

The same weight in muscle takes up less space in your body and while the difference won't show on the scales, it'll show on your body, which it seems to be doing. You say your clothes are looser and you can see more muscle tone so it may well be that.

I once lost no weight for a whole month but still went down an inch or two all over.