bridal humiliation

Options

Replies

• scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Geez, what a whine fest. Your future MIL obviously considers you a member of the family, and is teasing you the same way she would tease her own kids. And you are *****ing about that?

Pull up your big girl pants and be thankful that your MIL apparently is willing to treat you like a member of the family.
  • charissh
    charissh Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Sounds like her own insecurities coming out there, I would take her comments with a large pinch of salt!
    You're marrying her son which might be making her nervous about losing her place in his life, and she's probably realising that she's not as young or slim as she once was and is taking it out on you.
    Not an excuse to be rude obviously! But just all the more reason NOT to let her comments bother you.
    Put it straight to the back of your mind and have run dress shopping!
  • charissh
    charissh Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    A US 0 is a UK 4 for comparison
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Geez, what a whine fest. Your future MIL obviously considers you a member of the family, and is teasing you the same way she would tease her own kids. And you are *****ing about that?

Pull up your big girl pants and be thankful that your MIL apparently is willing to treat you like a member of the family.

No. This is not friendly teasing. It's verbal abuse and intimidation. If my mother said something like that to my fiancee, shed be told that was unacceptable and would be shown the door immediately.

I do not put up with that, and people who do are just setting themselves up for a lifetime of abuse.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options

I wouldn't be thankful if it were an abusive family, which is apparently what MIL is. To keep banging on and on and on about something that many women are very sensitive about, coupling it with actual physical contact? That is way over the line.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options

No. This is not friendly teasing. It's verbal abuse and intimidation. If my mother said something like that to my fiancee, shed be told that was unacceptable and would be shown the door immediately.

I do not put up with that, and people who do are just setting themselves up for a lifetime of abuse.
    What an inconsiderate thing to say, poster 1. And what a great comment, poster 2.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options

No member of MY family would treat me like that, nor would I treat any of them like that. My mother in law would have NEVER said something like that to me either.
  • Geez, what a whine fest. Your future MIL obviously considers you a member of the family, and is teasing you the same way she would tease her own kids. And you are *****ing about that?

:laugh: really?

:noway:
  • 1234terri
    1234terri Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Go dress shopping next time with your friends, not a MIL. Her actions were hurtful but you're going to know her for a long time, so just get past it and shop with people you love and who respect you!
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I can only say this: In one ear, out the other. That woman clearly has her own issues, as nobody at peace with themselves and their surroundings feel the need to put others down like she did. Learn from the experience and pick someone else for more gown shopping - and expect her to blurt more inappropriate things, because if she doesn't it will be a positive suprise, whereas if she does it is "according to plan". Take charge of how you view the situation and don't become a victim in your thoughts.

Wonderful advice.
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Don't hang out with her anymore. And don't let her comments bother you.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options

I get the feeling that the poster themselves engages in this kind of behaviour that's why they think its ok. I wonder if somewhere someone is posting something similar about them.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Yes, let's all poke our kids and tell them how fat they are. That always goes well ;)
  • karlyy_mc
    karlyy_mc Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    what a b*itch! I feel ya, my mother's often mean like that as well. Oh well, here's to us losing the weight and parade our bad selves in front of'em and have their jaws on the floor. Good luck to you and congratulations on your wedding! :-)
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I can only say this: In one ear, out the other. That woman clearly has her own issues, as nobody at peace with themselves and their surroundings feel the need to put others down like she did. Learn from the experience and pick someone else for more gown shopping - and expect her to blurt more inappropriate things, because if she doesn't it will be a positive suprise, whereas if she does it is "according to plan". Take charge of how you view the situation and don't become a victim in your thoughts.

Wonderful advice.

+10 --and if you ever have children, you can bet the pregnancy will present prime opportunity for umpteen more scenes like this - so DO prepare!
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    She sounds like a malicious lady-dog. And if she isn't but was trying to be funny, she misjudged it hugely. How would she like it if you poked her in the face repeatedly saying "rude....rude.....rude" with each poke!

Keep her at arms length if you can, stick with your mum and your friends for the dress and stuff so that it's the warm loving and girlie experience it should be, and leave her out. It's your day - you and your chap. Nobody else matters.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

Joan Crawford's family?
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options

no, there's teasing and there's just sheer spiteful wounding. Teasing is affectionate, not malicious. This was just plain cruel and unnecessary.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I would talk to my fiancé about it and have him handle it. Mothers are a sensitive subject and need to be handled tactfully.

I would never put up with anyone, husband or not being rude to my mom regardless of what she does. If my mother is rude then bring it to me and I will pull her aside and talk to her about it.

Luckily, my mom is cool as all out doors and not unhappy so my fiancé wouldn't have to put up with that. But never cross the line with my mother or there will be hell to pay. Ill handle it if there is a problem privately with her. That's my mom and I have way too much respect for her to allow ANYONE to be rude to her.

And I respect other people's mother as well. Let them handle it.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Ahem, it's fiancé in her case, not fiancée.