Calories in VS calories out

Options
Here is a little rant that has been on my mind ever since I listened to the bodyrx.com radio show. I was just watching a T.V. show.....(think a dr. oz blah blah talk show show) OK I wasn't watching it but I was overhearing it at work. It appears that the mainstream media is OBSESSED with telling the public that counting calories is the way to lose ""weight."" OK well when you tell me you want to lose weight what I'm really guessing is that you want to lose FAT. Weight is really insignificant when it comes to HOW YOU LOOK and BODY COMPOSITION. What I'm guessing your interested in is.... How do I decrease this "storage pool" which is FAT.

THIS PROCESS IS NOT DONE BY CALORIES ALONE. The reason the show pisses me off is that they are equating that what you eat (minus) your physical activity = (equals) how much you weigh.

THIS isn't true it is also IMPOSSIBLE. Do you want to know why??!! Also the saying calories in vs calories out is true to a point but it is not the way you should be looking at what you eat.
I'm going to go hit a good leg workout which is WEIGHT TRAINING which is quite vital for anyone trying to reduce their FAT storage.

I'll be back after hitting the weights............ you can follow my workout on Instagram name fitnessRXusa

I AM NOT SELLING ANYTHING

Just very passionate about people getting the CORRECT information into their heads.

America keeps getting FAT FAT FAT and obviously what is in place is FOR THE MASS POPULATION NOT WORKING!!!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Broscience fed. While body fat and body composition do rely on certain nutritional values needed to enhance it, calories in and calories out is still relevant whether one is gaining or losing body fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    OK, so you have expressed a point of view, but you haven't explained your logic!! Can you expand please!!!

The body converts excess energy to fat so that it can draw upon it in times of famine. If you then start putting in less energy than you expend, the body will then convert that fat back into energy; ergo you lose weight.

Exercise and weight training help build muscle, and the jury is still out as to whether this is possible whilst in a calorie deficit despite whatever you read on these forums.

So, I am really interested in how you can say that calories in v calories out is not important...
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Broscience fed. While body fat and body composition do rely on certain nutritional values needed to enhance it, calories in and calories out is still relevant whether one is gaining or losing body fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

QFT
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    And by the way, people are getting fat because they eat too much, and/or eat too much of the wrong foods. Most things processed are laden with sugar, fat and chemicals to make them taste nice and make money for the manufacturer. Fatty foods have had the lipids replaced by mostly sugar. Fat was the bad guy in the food we eat, and now sugar is following the same route. Go back to good home cooking without the convenience foods, and the nations health will improve! Of course, banning convenience food on the grounds of health would never go own well with the industry, so that is just not going to happen.......
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I lost weight using calories in/calories out. I maintain pretty well with that method too, and have managed to look and feel better.

But then, maybe I'm a product of a biased media machine hellbent on spreading misinformation and propaganda.

tumblr_m6ezsb8W0H1qd5xrao1_250.gif
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Wow, what would we do without you to tell us this?
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    You didnt even make a point.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    You didnt even make a point.

I think the point was "I work out, and it's leg day."
  • Fit2Strip
    Fit2Strip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    gBJ86.gif
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,117 Member
    Options
    Well, this is awkward.

Not at all what was advertised.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    gBJ86.gif

Pretty much this.
  • Fit2Strip
    Fit2Strip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    One of her other posts:

1000 calorie deficiencies!!! You are damaging your metabolism for the future. Can you sustain your current lifestyle for the rest of your life?

People think the equation goes sonething like this.

((( what I eat - exercise/activity = my weight )))

This in fact is impossible because energy ( food ) and mass ( your weight ) are not the same thing. sad
    A calorie in is NOT a calorie out. Metabolism is not that simple. If it was why is america still getting fatter despite the 100 cal snack packs ect .......

So basically, according to her, losing weight 2 lb a week is excessive and causes irreparable damage to our own immune system. I guess everyone should cut back to only 1 lb a week?