New England powerlifters?

Options
Hello,

Are any of you lovely MFP people powerlifters who are also in New England?

AND planning to compete in the next 6 months?

I'm currently cutting, and plan to start heavy lifting again ~September. At that point, I'll definitely be looking for a coach.

What I'd like to do now is attend as many competitions/practices (if there is such a thing) as an observer, to get more familiar with all the little details that make a first competition so nerve-wracking. And start wrapping my head around whatever unwritten rules/politics/issues there might be. (okaaaay, and doing some prelim eyeballing of my future competition)

Yes, I've already reached out to USAPL. Just additionally wondering if any of y'all would care to share your expertise!

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    This has some listed: https://www.facebook.com/EPFusa

This too: http://apa-wpa.com/

Not a powerlifter, but both son and ex husband compete in New England, so I end up knowing by default.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Useful - thank you! And how amusing APA was founded in Royalton VT - we nearly moved there.

Do you happen to know why your husband & son chose APA rather than USAPL - or why anyone would choose one vs the other?
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Honestly not sure. They both compete in multiple federations throughout New England. I think they just sign up for whatever they can. Ex husband is current King of the Bench for Elite Powerlifting for his division, and son has some record for U18 for DynaMaxx. But I know they both are members of several different ones so they can compete for multiple things.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    *bump* for any morning peeps
  • Bobbejo
    Bobbejo Posts: 12
    Options
    I compete in Ithaca, NY. Not sure how far that is from you. I've competed for the IPA and SPF. If you have specific question I can do my best to answer.