People who have been in maintenance for a while. ..

Options
I'm getting used to logging my food daily and it's making weight loss incredibly easy for me but I'm worried about once I reach maintenance. I would prefer not to log in every single day of my life and log my foods. Do you get used to your new way of eating and just keep an eye on the scale, or do you still log food daily? Is it difficult to maintain without continued logging?

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I don't log any more. I keep an eye on the scale, and also how my clothes are fitting. If the scale goes below a certain number, I add in a high calorie snack or two. If my clothes feel tight, take out the snack or swap it for lower calorie, or go for an extra run. If for some reason I go too far in either direction, and can't correct it right away, I may log for a while to get it back under control. I've been maintaining since August, and haven't had to go back to logging for several months now.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    I like logging, so I still do it. I've found it's hard to be content with just staying the same, so I'm trying to set other goals and use MFP to help me work toward them.
  • Muzzoozal
    Muzzoozal Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    After I learned to eyeball portions I don't log in all the time, but around crucial times of the year such as holidays I may stop by to help myself plan ahead, keep an eye on weight and remind myself what a healthy portion for me is. It may be good to do on or just before a vacation too. If I plan to eat healthy while having fun it helps.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Maintaining for almost 8 months. I don't log save for a spot check here and there. While I was losing I learned how to eat...learned portion control and moderation...I know what portions look like on my plate, etc. I don't really do anything different now except I have a few hundred extra calories...it isn't much really.

I weigh myself a few times per week just for data points and I listen to my clothes, etc. Make sure you keep exercising...it is far more important to maintenance than it is to losing weight.

I get my nutrition on and I get my fitness on...I've found maintenance to be pretty easy.
  • MickeyCastello
    Options
    I still log. I worked too damn hard to let myself slip even a little bit.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I'm a hybrid. I stay connected here and start the day logging. Usually, I don't finish, but I keep a close eye during the day. If the weight creeps a little, I get more vigilant.

But I'm a big fan of the "staying connected" part - we're never done with being healthier, and support really helps!
  • NiikouruDesu
    Options
    I lost 10kg and have maintained my weight for the past 12 months.
    I do log my food, but I never limit my calories. I've actually found that eating healthy foods, exercising daily and sleeping a lot, and drinking water constantly throughout the day make me feel good. I have no doubt those habits contribute to maintaining my weight.
    i feel like I still have more to learn from logging my food but will stop once i have learnt enough. :)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I still log daily and struggle to maintain without it. I have a good idea of portion sizes etc, but it's psychological for me. At the moment, I struggle to eat moderately without the accountability of logging. I've been maintaining for a little over a year now, and I'm hoping that this year I can really work on that side of things.

I think it is a very individual thing. I know there are a lot of people like me who find it difficult to maintain without logging, but there are also a lot who can do it. It's something you can experiment with. I think that as long as you are keeping an eye on things somewhere - whether it's by regularly weighing/measuring yourself or taking note of how tight your clothes are etc, then you can't go too far wrong because you'll notice if the weight starts to creep back on.

I have a good friend who has used MFP successfully in the past. For her, long term calorie counting is just not something she wants to do. When she stops, she maintains for a while but finds the weight slowly comes back on. I think she's just accepted that that's how it works and that she'll need to periodically track her food to get those few extra pounds off. For me, it's less stressful to just keep tracking everything and not gain those few extra lbs.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I still log. For those rare days, like last night, when we go out to a nice dinner, I just throw a large amount of calories in and keep moving. I think it is important as you are adding foods into your diet so that you know how they affect your meal plan. Sometimes you find out things are not as bad as you thought, and some are surprisingly high. I do all the cooking, and my wife is still in losing mode, so I need to know what I can, and can't give her.
  • veredit
    veredit Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The same here. It was such a long and hard journey, I really want to maintain for ever, and MFP is such a big help.
  • ingraha
    ingraha Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    The same here. It was such a long and hard journey, I really want to maintain for ever, and MFP is such a big help.

This.:happy:
  • LizDHarris
    LizDHarris Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for 2 years - and still log most days (even if not everything). I can now 'guess' portion sizes and now naturally look at calorie compromises - either not both!. I worked hard to lose weight and spent a lot on a new wardrobe. I can't afford to put the weight back on and replace my clothes again.
  • lisab64mfp
    lisab64mfp Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    This April I will hit 3 years at goal (actually I've been less than goal the whole time). I still weigh and log my food pretty much daily - use guesstimates for foods I don't prepare. I allow myself a break from logging during vacations, holiday dinners, and a select few other days.. Coincidentally I always have a few pounds to lose after vacations and Christmas time.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I am on maintenance and I cant seem to stop losing weight, I was content 15 pounds ago. So I continue to log so I make sure I eat enough so I don't lose any more weight!!
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    i dont log when i maintain.

i purposefully eat less bread (half bagels instead of whole, tear out middle of rolls for shrimp poboys)

the difference between maintaining and losing for me is having treats at the end of the day. when i lose, no candy. when im maintaining, i can have chocolate, or a cinnamon roll or something after dinner.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I still log my food. I've been at my goal 'weight' since November 2012.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    This is my third try at maintenance. The first two times I started to gradually gain back the weight I had lost. So now I pretty much plan on logging for the long term. It's been over a year. Honestly it's not something that concerns me-- logging takes all of 5 minutes per day.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Maintenance was hard for me. I got to eat a bit more, but that got away from me and I gained 10 lbs :(

This time I am logging all the time, I am signing in everyday (which I do anyways, I have a lot of friends on here), and sticking to a plan.

I need to learn to maintain better -- I did good from Sept - April, then life got fun with lots of vacations and I sucked at it.

I adjusted my goal lower so not at maintenance yet - but this time I will change things up!

ETA: I also just had surgery to fix my tummy, so technically I can't gain weight again or I can throw all that $$$ out of the window. I am sure that will help a lot.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I still log daily and struggle to maintain without it. I have a good idea of portion sizes etc, but it's psychological for me. At the moment, I struggle to eat moderately without the accountability of logging. I've been maintaining for a little over a year now, and I'm hoping that this year I can really work on that side of things.

I think it is a very individual thing. I know there are a lot of people like me who find it difficult to maintain without logging, but there are also a lot who can do it. It's something you can experiment with. I think that as long as you are keeping an eye on things somewhere - whether it's by regularly weighing/measuring yourself or taking note of how tight your clothes are etc, then you can't go too far wrong because you'll notice if the weight starts to creep back on.

I have a good friend who has used MFP successfully in the past. For her, long term calorie counting is just not something she wants to do. When she stops, she maintains for a while but finds the weight slowly comes back on. I think she's just accepted that that's how it works and that she'll need to periodically track her food to get those few extra pounds off. For me, it's less stressful to just keep tracking everything and not gain those few extra lbs.

Agree.... I need to keep logging.... I give myself a comfort zone though as weighing the same each week forever is just pure insanity! haha!
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I lost all of my weight BEFORE I found MFP...MFP just helped me lose my Christmas gain last year. Then I found awesome friends on here to keep me motivated and such. I did most of it on my own and can still do it on my own, but I need support. I will stay here for support.