How to eat more?

Options
2»

Replies

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    He can eat mcdonalds if he wants but it's his body he's trashing, not mine. What good is bulking and gaining muscle if your body has to rot on the inside to get there.

I believe in whole foods too, but unless he's eating trans fats, and staying within his macros, and not eating stuff like this too often, it's fine. Your body won't rot. That's wrong. He can't eat lots of volume yet. His food will need to be calorie packed.

I used to be phobic of dirty food too. I'm not any more, and am healthier because I'm not slightly overeating all the time and getting over fat. Of so called clean foods. I eat whole foods because I need to eat a lot.
  • Springfield1970
    Options

Honestly, 2,430 is not a huge amount. Given your stats, I highly doubt you will gain any weight eating that amount.

This. you are barely eating 500 cals more than tiny little me! (and I am already in a deficit)

So I should be aiming to eat 3000 a day. And on a lifting day, I should be aiming for 3500?

Dern, work out your tdee and add 500 everyday. Lift 3 x per week. Eat lots of protein.
    Or, work out your sedentary rate, add your exercise calories for that day, then add 500.
    Lifting burns about 200 cals per hour.
    Use Scooby's calculator.
    Good luck!
  • darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    Options

Honestly, 2,430 is not a huge amount. Given your stats, I highly doubt you will gain any weight eating that amount.

This. you are barely eating 500 cals more than tiny little me! (and I am already in a deficit)

So I should be aiming to eat 3000 a day. And on a lifting day, I should be aiming for 3500?

Dern, work out your tdee and add 500 everyday. Lift 3 x per week. Eat lots of protein.
    Or, work out your sedentary rate, add your exercise calories for that day, then add 500.
    Use Scooby's calculator.
    Good luck!

What is tdee and what is sedentary rate (sorry if these are dumb questions)?
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    He can eat mcdonalds if he wants but it's his body he's trashing, not mine. What good is bulking and gaining muscle if your body has to rot on the inside to get there.

this is ridiculous.

bulking and gaining muscle is exactly what you'll be doing if lifting and eating at a surplus.

"body rotting on the inside"

LOLOL you're just so cute. Have you read the twinkie diet study?
  • Springfield1970
    Options

Use Scooby's calculator.
    Good luck!

What is tdee and what is sedentary rate (sorry if these are dumb questions)?

With respect Dern, I've spent quite a lot of time explaining and trying to help you and I'm now going to get you to help yourself by using google search and MFP search. It will really educate you! You'll see these terms everywhere and once you get going on this journey you'll want to know everything about it, so put the doobie down, and get googling. Mwah!
  • darreneatschicken
    Options
    My BMR is 1633 calories/day

My TDEE is 2316 calories/day

This is if I exercise 4 times a week (3 workouts and 1 ice hockey game)
  • Springfield1970
    Options

Ok, good stuff.

Can you go here and just double check? It seems low...http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Get your sedentary rate too...

It may need tweaking as you go.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Daily required calories: 2,430
    Daily required carbohydrates: 334
    Daily required fat: 81
    Daily required protein: 91
    Daily required sodium: 2,500
    Daily required sugar: 49

Just a comment about how you've worded this: 'daily required' does NOT apply to sodium, in fact the 2500 per day that MFP uses is higher than anyone needs and is the upper limit of what a normal person should be consuming. If you are not running 20km a day or have cystic fibrosis then you do not need to be eating 2500 mg of sodium. In my opinion sugar it is the same situation for sugar. They have simplified the way that these 'goals' are presented but even if you are trying to gain weight I wouldn't recommend 'aiming' to eat 2500 mg of sodium, or 49g of sugar a day.

Source: My nutrition degrees.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    more protein not necessary, tracking macros not really necessary tbh. just eat lad, 19 years and 138lb. you'll grow like a weed.

I agree, at 19 and if you're trying to add some size, you don't need to overcomplicate things. I'm 31, 178lbs, and the same height, work a desk job, routine is about 5-6 days a week, and I need at least 3000 cals a day. Even at that, i've only put on 2lbs in over 3 months, and still looking to add more cals a day.

You gotta eat my friend to grow!!!
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Having a designated meal prep day for the week ...chicken breast ...ground turkey breast...sweet potatoes...quinoa or brown rice... Ezekiel bread, almond/cashew/peanut butter, lentils, quinoa, brown rice...

:love: :love: :love: :love:
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    There is an easy solution to this 'how to eat more" problem.

Go get yourself a bucket of ice cream.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Me, I just, well, eat more...
    But then I didn't join this site because I had a problem not eating enough :).
    - you can't always be high!
    That time is called 'sleeping' and you wouldn't normally eat then anyway ;).

The normal reason to get your macros from 'real food' than drink is that it keeps you fuller for longer.
    sometimes, you think you can't eat more,
    Oh, that happens, does it?
    Interesting concept there!
    Ok, to be fair, I reckon at Christmas etc when I've had at least 4000 calories in a fairly short space of time I may feel like this.
    Or when I ate 3.7lb of pizza in 40 minutes.... err, except ten minutes later I went and got some more food. Maybe not, then :).

Why would you carry a cooler with you? Why not just carry food in a normal 'lunch box'? Won't find much food that needs to be chilled that will go off during the day time when you're out and about.
  • darreneatschicken
    Options

Ok, good stuff.

Can you go here and just double check? It seems low...http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Get your sedentary rate too...

It may need tweaking as you go.

With scoobys website, it calculated my BMR as 1673 and my TDEE as 2593. I need 2843 calories a day to accomplish a 'clean bulk.' These statistics were gained when I entered an activity level of 3-5 hours a week along with macro nutrient ratios: 30% protein, 50% carbs, 20% fat. I don't know how accurate these percentages are; I just sort of guessed while looking at myfitnesspal required macros.

I did some research on what a sedentary rate is. This site says that it is a blood test that is used to monitor inflammation in the body. I don't know how to get my sedentary rate though.

http://www.medicinenet.com/sedimentation_rate/article.htm#toca

EDIT: If I l click the 'auto-set' button, it sets my macro ratio as: 15% protein, 65% carbs, and 20% fat.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    There is an easy solution to this 'how to eat more" problem.

Go get yourself a bucket of ice cream.

Yup!!! I added ice cream recently because I was struggling to get over 3000 cals a day, works great!
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Daily required protein only @ 90+/- ? This is ridiculously low!!
  • darreneatschicken
    Options
    Daily required protein only @ 90+/- ? This is ridiculously low!!

Not to worry... I am getting at least 130 grams of protein in a day.