Dating to Marriage

Options
_jayciemarie_
_jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
I am up early drinking coffee with my two cats. I am watching a HALLMARK Movie about weddings. Just curious..what is the normal length of time people are together before getting engaged? If someone waits 3years--is something wrong?

Replies

• Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Just means the person is not ready. People are different.
    There may be many reasons why they do not feel ready.

Job stability, etc.

Ask them, if you're curious. You might be enlightened.
  • prime853
    prime853 Posts: 519
    Options
    this is an unanswerable question, we have family friends who waited 10+ years to get married and had 3 kids beforehand and were happy as anyone could be
    on the other hand some people get married within a year or some in 5, totally subjective matter that depends entirely on the persons involved
  • victal
    victal Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I dated someone 10 years before we got married......i needed to be sure...................twenty years later were still here :bigsmile: :smile:
  • moore7600
    Options
    Generally its between a year to 18 months. Ive been engaged twice and married once. But then thats my average. Everybody is different.
  • yogacat13
    yogacat13 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I just got engaged, we've been together nearly four years, living together for two.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I think so. my wife of 34 years was engaged to me for 6 months. But we both knew right away we were meant for each other. I believe in love at first site.:heart::love:
  • Sinisterly
    Options
    I think so. my wife of 34 years was engaged to me for 6 months. But we both knew right away we were meant for each other. I believe in love at first site.:heart::love:
    Congrats! That is very sweet :)
    I'm not sure what I believe in anymore! Bahaha.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I was engaged for 11yrs and then I finally broke it off. I couldn't love him the way he needed loved. He was only my friend. Then I met a guy and he proposed to me after 3 months. Then 3 months later we were married. Then 3 months later we divorced. Then after some time I started dating my boyfriend (well...now ex-boyfriend). We dated 3yrs and no engagement. Im 37 almost 38. I don't have kids. I feel my clock ticking. I just feel it shouldn't take a person 3+ years to decide if the relationship is a forever relationship.
  • Sinisterly
    Options
    That's totally understood.. But look at it this way.. Science helped a woman in India conceive an heir at age 70.
    You've got time.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I started dating my husband March 2003, we got engaged Oct 2007 and married Aug 2008. Still together now, we have 2 kids and a third on the way.

My husband waited until he could buy me a nice engagement ring, bless him! We knew we'd stay together, we bought our first place together in March 2004. I think a mortgage is as big a commitment as marriage!
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I was with my hubby 9 years before we got married, we moved in together after the first 6 months just took us a while to get around to the wedding :laugh:
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    My hubby proposed after 3months. We were married a year later. We have been married now for 17yrs. ???? Worked for us!
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    My hubby proposed after 3months. We were married a year later. We have been married now for 17yrs. ???? Worked for us!

i'm the same, except we got married 15 months after he proposed, and only been married 8 years so far :smile:
    i was very reluctant as i'd already done the whole marriage thing (married at a young age for all the wrong reasons and lasted barely a year) but decided to go for it and never looked back
  • rhoule76
    rhoule76 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    It's up to the couple. Hubby and I were together 1 1/2 years and decided we wanted to get married. We got married on our 2 year anniversary.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Everyone's different...there's no set rules when it comes to dating leading to marriage.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Ex husband and I got married 6 months after we met. Current husband we dated 4.5 years befor getting engaged and married a year after that. We are happy with 2 boys. Take time to date it is worth it!
  • beckieboomoo
    beckieboomoo Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Been with my mr for 3 and a half years... we aren't engaged we have lived together for 2 and abit years... think as we are only young (he is 20 and i turn 20 in april) there is no rush, he did get me a eternity ring this Christmas what was sweet and we couldn't be happier :) each couple is different :)
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    I am up early drinking coffee with my two cats. I am watching a HALLMARK Movie about weddings. Just curious..what is the normal length of time people are together before getting engaged? If someone waits 3years--is something wrong?

Two cats is likely to be perceived as problematic. Most men that I have spoken to about women who own cats believe cat ownership is a red flag. It does not enhance your attractiveness to potential partners, it reduces it in many cases.

3 years of being a couple before tying the knot isn’t an abnormally long time.
    I was engaged for 11yrs and then I finally broke it off. I couldn't love him the way he needed loved. He was only my friend. Then I met a guy and he proposed to me after 3 months. Then 3 months later we were married. Then 3 months later we divorced. Then after some time I started dating my boyfriend (well...now ex-boyfriend). We dated 3yrs and no engagement. Im 37 almost 38. I don't have kids. I feel my clock ticking. I just feel it shouldn't take a person 3+ years to decide if the relationship is a forever relationship.

I think a big part of the reason that you feel 3 years is a long time is because of your age. If you were 27 about to turn 28, you would be less concerned about it.

Also, with a divorce, shouldn’t you be more hesitant about marrying again? At this point, it isn’t like you haven’t been married and you feel like you need to be married for a sense of accomplishment. There are people who get to 37 and have never been married.

It seems like the 11 year relationship was the crucial relationship.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Two cats is likely to be perceived as problematic. Most men that I have spoken to about women who own cats believe cat ownership is a red flag. It does not enhance your attractiveness to potential partners, it reduces it in many cases.

3 years of being a couple before tying the knot isn’t an abnormally long time.

I think a big part of the reason that you feel 3 years is a long time is because of your age. If you were 27 about to turn 28, you would be less concerned about it.

Also, with a divorce, shouldn’t you be more hesitant about marrying again? At this point, it isn’t like you haven’t been married and you feel like you need to be married for a sense of accomplishment. There are people who get to 37 and have never been married.

It seems like the 11 year relationship was the crucial relationship.

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    I was with someone for 5 years and I broke up with him before he was apparently about to propose

sooo 3 years does not seem that long at all to me...