IIFYM protein question

Options
I was checking out the IIFYM calculator, and I see that it thinks I should be eating 100 grams of protein every day. This seems quite high. I try to choose protein- and fiber-heavy foods because they do satisfy me and give me energy. That's how I know it's hard to meet the lower MFP default protein goal.

So does anyone out there eat 100 grams (or more!) of protein without using protein powders? I've dipped into the world of quest bars a bit, but mostly I like to get my nutrients from food rather than supplements. Not that I don't eat plenty of convenience foods! I'm not saying there's anything wrong with doing it with powders, I just don't think it's for me. I'm nearly at my goal and will be increasing my calories a bit soon, and I'm wondering what kinds of things people regularly eat to hit high protein goals. Does it even matter?

Replies

• Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I DO have a protein shake everyday, but only because I enjoy them. Otherwise I have chicken breasts, cottage cheese, lean hamburger or pork, yogurt, peanut butter etc. The Special K protein cereal is pretty good too. Even aside from the many health benefits, I find these foods are more filling. So I definitely try to always hit my protein goals, which are about 120ish. My diary is public if you want to peek.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    100-120g a day here. I do chicken, turkey, beef, fish, cottage cheese, sharpe cheddar, milk, Greek yogurt, and eggs. There are days I will do a shake after a workout but that is only it I can't get home for a few hours to eat.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    100g seems LOW :). I generally eat 175-200g with no shakes etc.
    Total calories ranging from 1400 (generally I try to go around 1600) on rest days and 2400-2600+ on workout days.

Haven't looked for a good few days as was ill and not in the mood, but plenty of examples before that.
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I just made this change a couple of weeks ago and am still working at it. I started out w/ a protein shake in the am, a protein bar, then 6-8oz of Chicken breast on Salad for lunch, lean protein (no deli meat if I can help it, I try for Salmon, Turkey Breast, Chicken Breast, Lean Beef and Venison) for dinner and cashews, greek yogurt, and cheese for snacks. I am morphing that a little now by doing egg frittatas with veggies and turkey sausage/bacon in the am instead of the shakes and bars. I figure the more real food the better. I'm finding that I really can only afford about 1-2 slices of bread a day trying to get my 100 grams.

3 take aways so far:
    1) I do not crave bread or starchy carbs at all. I choose to eat them occasionally, but they are because they fit and will enhance the current meal, not because I crave them. This took about 2 weeks to set in.

2) Where I am losing weight has changed. I am losing it from my stomach, which makes me happy. I have only lost about 5 lbs (3 weeks in) but I am very happy with that, and my belt as of this morning is on the last notch! Big NSV for me.

3) My skin looks way better. I'm not breaking out, and it's no longer dry. I struggled with this for years, MAJOR dry skin to the point that I would itch till it bled, arms, legs, and peeling skin on my face.

I also am NEVER hungry. Somedays I struggle to get all the protein in. I have found if I shoot for the protein, the carbs and fats pretty much fall into place. Also, my sodium intake has come WAY down as well. I wasn't even shooting for that, so it's nice to see the extra benefit!

Feel free to add me if you want, I'm still learning, but sometimes it helps to have people in the same boat :) Best of luck!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with protein powder. I would rather have my morning protein coffee and make my macros than not. *shrug*
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I use MFP's protein & fiber goals as minimums, and ignore the rest. But if you ask 100 MFPers, you'll get 100 different opinions. Everybody's different, and weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • lebbyloses
    lebbyloses Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys! You can always count on MFPers for examples of good food! I'll have to steal some ideas from your diaries and work them in after my next grocery run. Which might have to come early. I went to the grocery store while sick, and it turns out that's as bad as going while you're hungry! Just in a different direction.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I've just started doing IIFYM last week (I'm in maintenance and working towards fitness goals now), and the protein is the category that I'm struggling with the most. My LBM is around 97 so I'm aiming for at least 100g of protein a day. I'm not going to use protein powders because of the cost, but I have started eating a protein bar every day, using ones I found on sale/clearance. I also just found out that Aldi sells theirs for .79 each, so I'll probably start getting those on a regular basis. I've also started eating a lot more dairy- greek yogurt and cottage cheese every day usually, and that's helping get the number up. Feel free to take a peek at my diary and see what I've been eating-again, I've just started so there's only about a week's worth of info but I've hit at least 100g for most of the days, so I'm off to a decent start :)
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Try and hit at least 1g/lb of lean muscle mass. Current RDA recommendations are out dated (what MFP uses). Your body will thank you. :smile: I eat whatever it takes to get there, and if takes a couple of protein shakes a day, I will do it.
  • twixlepennie
    Options
    Try and hit at least 1g/lb of lean muscle mass. Current RDA recommendations are out dated (what MFP uses). Your body will thank you. :smile: I eat whatever it takes to get there, and if takes a couple of protein shakes a day, I will do it.

What is the difference between lean muscle mass and lean body mass :blushing:
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    180-200g with no shakes crew checking in
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I eat over 100g every day (closer to 149, actually) and never use protein powder -- chicken, egg whites, greek yogurt, beans, cheese are my favorite sources.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Woops! That should have said lean body mass, not muscle mass. Sorry!
  • twixlepennie
    Options

Woops! That should have said lean body mass, not muscle mass. Sorry!

Whew, thought there was one more thing out there that I had to learn about :laugh:
  • twixlepennie
    Options

That's so odd-I get a 404 error 'We've updated our Web site. The page you are looking for is not available.'

I'll have to try it on my phone and see if that makes a difference!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Egg whites - a great source of protein. 1 cup = 28g's

I make omelettes, but also add some to my smoothies....

I have no issue with the yolks - do eat some of those too, but the whites is a great source of protein - no carbs or fat...

I do use protein powders too - another great way to get enough protein - I aim for 150g plus a day, and will not be able to do it without protein powders - much better(and cost effective) than protein bars imho....

Also some legumes, quinoa etc has decent quantities of protein when you include them in you eating plan....
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is food. Nothing wrong with it.