Lap Band how many calories are you on?

Lap Band People how many calories are you on? How far out are you from surgery? What is the long term calorie intake for you after you are out a few years? I had a rough year last year and went back into bad eating habits, I wasn't anything near my goal. I am still out like 60 pounds before I hit my goal weight. Since I fell off for a while, they told me still to only consume 800-900 a day, because I need to be in the losing phase still.. Is this normal? I had blood work last week, and my labs came back perfect. I get my labs done in my hometown since it is closer than my surgeons office, The Dr told me he wished he had my numbers and that everything was perfect. I sometimes get scared I guess, I don't know if that is why I go back to old habits. I'm afraid I am not getting enough calories in. Some of my friends on here are worried, and I understand their concerns, It has me often second guessing... I am doing what the Dr is telling me to do, but I'm starting to worry again and don't want to go back into bad habits of eating... So I wonder what kind of calories is normal for us even after a few years out from surgery??? Thanks...

Replies

• debbiec70
    debbiec70 Posts: 8 Member
    I had lap band surgery December of 2012. I lost about 50 pounds but my hair was falling out and I didn't feel well.I think because of that I chose to go back to old habits. I was also having some problems with food not going down and throwing up often. So I started eating slider foods and things that would go down, a lot of candy, carbs and I gained back about 12 pounds. I just started again January 5th and I'm set on 1500 calories a day. Some days when my band is really tight, I can't eat like I need to, so I do protein shakes and protein bars. I've lost 11 pounds since January 5th and my goal is to lose another 40. I also work out 4 to 5 times a week, kettlebell DVDs and walk my dogs, try to stay really active. In my opinion only I feel like 800 to 900 calories a day is not enough to remain healthy. Sometimes I feel like the doctors are more concerned about to statistics and the weight loss and being a success than our health. I definitely think that we need more calories to remain healthy. I do stick to the protein first rule, & I try to eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. Living with lapband is really difficult, I guess I thought it would be easier but I could have done this without the surgery. Add me as a friend and we can encourage each other, bandes definitely have different diet problems than others.
  • samatra
    samatra Posts: 5 Member
    I've had a band since 2006. I am 5'11", 225lb. I can maintain on 1800, loss slowly on 1600-1700.
  • Madwhizzard
    Madwhizzard Posts: 29 Member
    debbiec70 wrote: »
    I had lap band surgery December of 2012. I lost about 50 pounds but my hair was falling out and I didn't feel well.I think because of that I chose to go back to old habits. I was also having some problems with food not going down and throwing up often. So I started eating slider foods and things that would go down, a lot of candy, carbs and I gained back about 12 pounds. I just started again January 5th and I'm set on 1500 calories a day. Some days when my band is really tight, I can't eat like I need to, so I do protein shakes and protein bars. I've lost 11 pounds since January 5th and my goal is to lose another 40. I also work out 4 to 5 times a week, kettlebell DVDs and walk my dogs, try to stay really active. In my opinion only I feel like 800 to 900 calories a day is not enough to remain healthy. Sometimes I feel like the doctors are more concerned about to statistics and the weight loss and being a success than our health. I definitely think that we need more calories to remain healthy. I do stick to the protein first rule, & I try to eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. Living with lapband is really difficult, I guess I thought it would be easier but I could have done this without the surgery. Add me as a friend and we can encourage each other, bandes definitely have different diet problems than others.

Sorry I'm late to this convo, just joined MVP last week and I'm curious how other banders are doing. Debbie your story sounds a lot like mine, I have issues with food not going down and sometimes throwing up. I've had my band since 2009 and it's helped me lose 50 lbs and keep it off, I had just been slow to lose more since I often choose slider foods (and they are often unhealthy choices). I'd like to lose another 30 lbs and I'm feeling good about MVP and this community is great, best of luck to you and all other banders/barbaric surgery survivors. hehe