Dont want to fail

I am just getting started again after a 3 month layoff. I am 44 years old at 251 pounds. I have gained about 25 pounds over those three months. Its easy to see why drinking sodas and eating fast food two or three times a day. I am Completely out of shape. It seems I can stick with it for about a week or two but than lose all my motivation and drive. My goal is too lose 70 pounds but unless i stay consistent I am doomed for failure. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Replies

• nogoldilocs
    nogoldilocs Posts: 87 Member
    It's great that you are taking the first positive step to lose weight and get into shape and using the mfp tools and forums could be a great help to you. But if your goal is to "lose 70 pounds" then you may be right about being "doomed for failure". The idea of losing 70 pounds is daunting and can lead to self-doubt and an early loss of motivation. I think where you should begin is with a goal that is small and attainable, one that will ultimately lead to weight loss but which is focused on something that you can do everyday.

When I first started here, my initial goals were: 1) log everything I ingest, good or bad
    2) exercise for 30 minutes 3-4 days per week

That's it, that's what I focused on. And slowly, day by day, week by week the weight started to come off. I added other goals along the way, like limiting my salt intake out of concern for my blood pressure, and incorporating weight training into my exercise routine. I also looked for other measures of my progress like losing inches, looser fitting clothes, increased strength and energy. But what I always did consistently was to meet those first two goals. As a result, I lost just 1 pound per week, which was 50 pounds in just under a year:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1089412-what-1-pound-per-week-looks-like-with-pics-hopefully
    But I don't think I could have stuck with it if my initial goal had been " to lose 50 lbs".

Stick with it, you can do this. Add some friends who have been successful, keep engaged and you will get there.
  • nealwalk
    nealwalk Posts: 11 Member
    Well brother,

Ive seen you accomplish some pretty great things in your 44 years and I have no doubt you can accomplish great things again. A healthy mind resides within a healthy body, so starting with your health is the best place you can start. Obviously 70 pounds won't come off overnight, but more importantly I feel strongly that you just need the routine of honoring your health on a daily basis. You ARE worth it. Dont give up. You will have several setbacks and feel like just throwing in the towel but just keep coming back to this site. Record everything you eat man...all of it. Even on my "free days" i almost always record how many calories I consumed. The information ive learned about myself has been invaluable.

Lets do this. We aren't ever done we are always just works in progress man. I love ya bro.

Neal
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    I am just getting started again after a 3 month layoff. I am 44 years old at 251 pounds. I have gained about 25 pounds over those three months. Its easy to see why drinking sodas and eating fast food two or three times a day. I am Completely out of shape. It seems I can stick with it for about a week or two but than lose all my motivation and drive. My goal is too lose 70 pounds but unless i stay consistent I am doomed for failure. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

We're not so different. I'm a recovering 3 times a day fast food junkie. This is how I've solved the problem for myself.

Limited menu - I have just 2 or 3 meal options for every meal, and a couple options for snacks. I already know what the calorie counts are for the meals. This makes eating healthy automatic.
    For mornings I cannot wake up early enough to make breakfast, I keep oatmeal at the office. That way I don't use the drive through as a quick breakfast crutch. If I have time I'll make a legit breakfast at home.
    For lunch, previously I'd go out to eat. But I throw a cold cut sandwich together the previous evening or that morning along with chips and a granola bar. If I'm at home for lunch, I will typically "panini" my sandwich by throwing it on the Foreman grill.
    For dinner, One night a week I will cook a TON of chicken breast or ground beef. Pre-cooked meat is always had with dinner, and ALWAYS a salad on the side.

Because of the limited variety of food, eating healthy is automatic, and the guesswork of what to eat for any particular meal (or what to get at the grocery store) is eliminated.

Substitutions are big too. I make a protein smoothie instead of milkshakes, sugar free ice cream sandwiches (in your grocer's freezer) instead of ice cream. When I get the occasional urge for chinese food, I buy tariyaki sauce or some other sauce and put it on my chicken.

In short, the key is quick, easy access to healthy food when you need it, and having healthy substitutions for those evil unhealthy cravings.

I'm 6' 1.5". Presently 272, looking to lose another 70-or-so pounds. Add me if you like.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Fear of failure is a crippling and pointless emotion. I think the 'big picture' is scaring you. Instead of wasting emotional energy worrying about 70lbs, worry about this week, 1-2 lbs. Next week, worry about the next 1-2lbs. Set your goals on a much smaller scale so you don't get so overwhelmed.

Also, try setting some fitness goals that don't have to do with weight specifically. Swimming 1000m straight, or doing C25k, or bodyweight squats, or unassisted chin ups...whatever.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Fear of failure is a crippling and pointless emotion. I think the 'big picture' is scaring you. Instead of wasting emotional energy worrying about 70lbs, worry about this week, 1-2 lbs. Next week, worry about the next 1-2lbs. Set your goals on a much smaller scale so you don't get so overwhelmed.

^ This is great great advice.

Also, I'd advise starting with making small positive changes to your diet and activity levels. Don't try to jump in all at once. Good luck to you!

ETA: I think most people who have lost a lot on here have failed at sticking with their plans most likely many times along the way. If you do make a mistake or screw up in some way, figure out why you did it, dust yourself off, and get back up. Failure happens. What you do about it is what determines long-term success or failure.
  • susanjean515
    susanjean515 Posts: 1 Member
    These are all great ideas....small changes over time pay off in the long run!:happy:
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Building on MoreBean's post:
    I've recently found more success in monthly weight goals than I ever had in journeys to a single final destination.
    Another piece of advice that worked for me and may work for you:
    "Win the month."
  • Suggestions? Don't be too ambitious; if it's going to stay off, most likely it will come off slowly. So often when people lose too fast, they aren't really eating as lifestyle and haven't had time to make the adjustments that will keep it off. Give yourself credit for anything you do. Once around the block is once more around the block than yesterday......
    Good luck!