What counts as "keeping you full"?

Options
2»

Replies

• Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    First of all this is complete broscience and extrapolation from personal experience, but I think different people feel "full" because of different things.

For instance, protein is supposed to be filling and caffeine is supposed to suppress hunger. Personally, I could eat a huge ham sandwich and feel hungry again an hour later, and caffeine actually makes me hungry. On the other hand, fat and especially fiber keep me full...

Your breakfast seems very fat and protein heavy. If it doesn't fill you up, try having more carbs, especially fiber.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ...which is suppose to keep you full, right?

You're not supposed to "keep full".

You're supposed to feel a bit hungry.

That's how the human body is built.
  • geeniusatwurk
    geeniusatwurk Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Things that promote satiety, as I've learned so far in med school:

1. Protein content, specifically leucine, which is measured by the hypothalamus for satiety
    2. Fiber content, which slows down gut motility and delivery of nutrients, keeping you fuller
    3. Fat content, due to slower digestion compared to starches/carbs
    4. Water, due to increasing stomach distention and triggering stretch receptors that you're full, or at least that you have food in there (may cause acid reflux in those prone due to parietal cell secretions that are signaled by the medulla oblongata)

I'm sure there are more, but I'm only halfway through my first year.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    If I eat breakfast in the morning, I'm usually hungry by about 10, regardless of what kind of food I eat. I prefer waiting until about 1 pm to eat, I don't get nearly as hungry during the morning.
  • arm8859
    Options
    you might find it helpful to do a bit of research on -->"leptin" and "ghrelin." These are hormones that our bodies produce which make us feel full or hungry when we are not eating... "ghrelin levels play a big role in determining how quickly hunger comes back after we eat." Ghrelin is a huge reason I choose to do some intermittent fasting rather than multiple meals a day.

Good luck!

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/your-hunger-hormones
  • darkchocolate68
    Options
    Some of what we eat that keeps us full is relative to what time we eat breakfast and lunch. I am up at 3:45 most mornings. I eat breakfast about 6:00-6:30 a.m. and lunch about 11:40 during the work week.

I have friends who eat breakfast around 8:00 and then eat lunch with me at 11:40.