TDEE - 20%: Goal or Net Calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    BMR is what you would need if say you where in a coma in order for your body to function properly. Going below that is dangerous and unhealthy.
    Why? Based on what science? Oh wait, there actually isn't any. There's no scientific evidence that eating below BMR is detrimental.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    BMR is what you would need if say you where in a coma in order for your body to function properly. Going below that is dangerous and unhealthy.
    Why? Based on what science? Oh wait, there actually isn't any. There's no scientific evidence that eating below BMR is detrimental.

Going below now and then (intermittent fasting) is of no issue. The problem IMO, is "chronically" going below BMR.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    When I calculated my TDEE -20% I said a was sedentary and so when I do exercise I know that I can eat back those calories. xx

Since you didn't seem to understand the first time...

You are doing it wrong

Using TDEE you don't eat back exercise calories...

If you want that option go with the standard MFP way.

If she sets MFP to TDEE -20%(sedentary) and then eats her exercise calories back, all she is doing is making sure she maintains the TDEE-20%. It isn't wrong, it's simple math...
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Going below now and then (intermittent fasting) is of no issue. The problem IMO, is "chronically" going below BMR.
    There's still no scientific evidence of that. BMR is just a step to calculating TDEE. On its own it doesn't mean anything.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    When I calculated my TDEE -20% I said a was sedentary and so when I do exercise I know that I can eat back those calories. xx

Since you didn't seem to understand the first time...

You are doing it wrong

Using TDEE you don't eat back exercise calories...

If you want that option go with the standard MFP way.

If she sets MFP to TDEE -20%(sedentary) and then eats her exercise calories back, all she is doing is making sure she maintains the TDEE-20%. It isn't wrong, it's simple math...

well in the strictest sense yes it is. TDEE already has exercise factored in. TDEE=Total Daily Energy expenditure.

What she is doing is called NEAT I believe and when new people come in and see somone saying they do TDEE and they aren't it confuses them so call it what it is...NEAT (Non Exercise activity Thermogensis)

Bottom line call it what it is...if it's NEAT it's NEAT not TDEE...
    The total daily energy expenditure (TEE) is an important calculation in the determination of the overall dietary and exercise practices of any person. The amount of energy needed by anyone to meet the daily physical demands will have two components: the amount of energy needed to maintain the body's needs at rest, the basal energy expenditure, expressed as the base metabolic rate (BMR), and the needs generated by the daily activity levels, which include employment, sport, and any other activities.

<snip>
    Nonexercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT) is the energy expended for everything that is not sleeping, eating, or sports-like exercise. It includes the energy expended walking to work, typing, performing yard work, undertaking agricultural tasks, and fidgeting
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I suspect the "going below your BMR is DANGEROUS" myth will never die. There is nothing magical about your BMR. If you go below it, your body will pull energy from your fat stores to make up the caloric deficit. While there is a point at which you're going "too low" and you will experience consequences, what that threshold is depends on how much fat you have on your body and it's almost certainly NOT your BMR.