Skim Milk Bad for You? And Low-Fat Dairy Products. Scary.

Options
One of the biggest reasons I am trying to lose weight, is in 3-4 months I wish to start trying for a baby.

So my biggest goal is to eat foods that will prepare my body more. Make me more fertile, keep anything that could be toxic to the baby out. Exercise to be more fit with a healthier heart, stronger muscles, etc.

In my research I actually learned, in several sources, that skim milk, 1%, and 2% milk is actually bad for the woman trying to get pregnant.

I always drink 2%! Skim milk before I met my husband and compromised.

Anyways, on to the point, both for pregnant and not:
In women trying to get pregnant, several articles said full fat dairy products helped increase fertility. And low fat dairy actually was a factor in infertility.

"Their study showed that if women ate two or more servings of low-fat dairy foods a day, they increased their risk of ovulation-related infertility by more than four fifths (85%) compared to women who ate less than one serving of low-fat dairy food a week.
On the other hand, if women ate at least one serving of high-fat dairy food a day, they reduced their risk of anovulatory infertility by more than a quarter (27%) compared to women who consumed one or fewer high-fat dairy serving a week."
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/02/070228064902.htm

"“Removing fat from milk radically changes its balance of sex hormones in a way that could tip the scales against ovulation and conception,” say these doctors in The Fertility Diet. “Proteins added to make skim and low-fat milk look and taste ‘creamier’ push it even farther away.”
"...describe how separating the fat in whole milk to make skim milk can decrease the vitamins, minerals, essential amino acids, and other substances in the milk."
http://theadventurouswriter.com/blogbaby/how-dairy-affects-fertility-full-fat-milk-products-can-help-you-get-pregnant/

I can no longer find it, but one article, the first one I read, gave more details, such as how it effected the eggs.

As for weight loss, again, I discovered that low fat dairy could actually hinder you. The facts, to me, were shocking. Because skim milk is said to be good for you! Basically it seems, in the original 1950s study, not all the facts were known about fats and other factors. We know alot more now then before, and what prompted all of this new info and anti-skim milk thought comes from a more recent study.

Here is it shortened, bullet point style, with links that you may read at your leisure. I did not read any blogs, only articles with actual research backing it:

-Low fat food may contain lower calories, but is less filling. This can increase chances of eating higher calorie foods or just more food, later on in the day.
-Putting more sugar in the skim milk is becoming more "trendy" as it leads children to like it better. (More on this below)
-The current USDA recommendation is to drink three glasses of milk a day. This is 12 grams of sugar, and roughly 120 calories, x3 everyday. That's over 300 calories just on milk, and quite a lot of sugar. And almost my full day of allotted sugar.
-Milk is celebrated as a source of calcium, but researchers say we should get our needed calcium from the foods we eat, not the milk. That it may be unnecessary to consume milk, on purpose, just for calcium.
-Fat-free and low-fat milk and dairy is said to be better because it is lower in saturated fats then whole milk. And saturated fats are tied to heart disease and other illnesses. However, it is also full of some of the same stuff that makes olive oil so healthy. And the risk of the fat in milk is not as great as we once thought in the 1950s.
-Organic milk, full-fat , has been found to actually promote heart health, control diabetes, aid in vitamin absorption, lower bowel cancer risk, and even aid in weight loss.
-Often, skim milk is fortified with powdered milk, making it an even more processed food then we though.
-"It's becoming widely accepted that fats actually curb your appetite, by triggering the release of the hormone cholecystokinin, which causes fullness."
-The cholesterol in whole milk is actually the good kind, not the bad kind.
-In the process of making skim milk, the cholesterol becomes oxidized. This actually makes it a carcinogen.
-Whole milk reduces the risk of cancer, diabetes (balances blood sugar), heart disease, and actually HELPS in weight loss.

I've read more the other day too. and my own conclusion is that i will continue to drink milk. But I will make the switch to the less processed whole milk. And if I can afford it, to the organic kind. But I won't rely on it at all for calcium for fear of everything else loaded in the glass. Kale has more calcium gram for gram then milk. Any milk. As do other foods. So I will go elsewhere for my calcium. I already switched to whole milk, for uses in cooking and coffee. I did this originally because of the fertility help, now, because of the increased health benefits.

But I still want to know what you think, for my mind is still baffled by all this.

I should note, that I searched for the articles pertaining to the benefits of whole milk vs. skim or low fat. There are still just as many, more even, websites praising skim milk. The USDA I believe one of them. But they rely on the older study that did not include years and years more research.

The articles have a lot more info, and explanations then I put here.

http://healthland.time.com/2013/07/03/skim-milk-is-healthier-than-whole-milk-right-maybe-not/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/melaniehaiken/2013/07/02/lowfat-milk-may-not-be-as-healthy-as-we-thought-says-harvard-expert/

http://www.undergroundhealth.com/harvard-low-fat-milk/

http://healthyliving.msn.com/diseases/cholesterol/is-skim-milk-making-you-fat-1

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/why-skim-milk-will-make-you-fat-and/

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/05/21/why-you-need-to-avoid-low-fat-milk-and-cheese.aspx

Replies

• LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I enjoy drinking whole milk but I wouldn't drink three glasses a day! Maybe one :)
    I am skeptical about skim plus I don't like the taste. Right now I'm drinking 2% organic. When I get back to maintenance I will probably switch back to whole. Enjoy and best of luck with ALL of your goals.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    I can no longer find it, but one article, the first one I read, gave more details, such as how it effected the eggs.

This would seem to be impossible, since a woman's eggs are formed while she is still in utero--that is, by the time a girl is born, her lifetime supply of eggs is already made. Unless you mean that your consumption of low-fat dairy could affect your possible daughter's eggs.

Or are you talking about ovulation (process), and not the actual eggs themselves?
  • Shreddingit84
    Options
    Milk is a perfect food.. the soda companies pay for that BS research!! just go organic! :drinker:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I drank 1%, 2% and whole milk all my life and NEVER had any issues of getting pregnant. JS.

Tired of seeing, "Ohhh know were all going to die if eat or drink anything!!!!!" *rolling eyes*
  • lynleeg88
    lynleeg88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options

This would seem to be impossible, since a woman's eggs are formed while she is still in utero--that is, by the time a girl is born, her lifetime supply of eggs is already made. Unless you mean that your consumption of low-fat dairy could affect your possible daughter's eggs.

Or are you talking about ovulation (process), and not the actual eggs themselves?

Talking about ovulation.

And I was also told they don't fully mature till around three months before ovulation, and that is one of the reasons doctors recommend pre-natal 3 months before trying to get pregnant.
  • lynleeg88
    Options
    Milk is a perfect food.. the soda companies pay for that BS research!! just go organic! :drinker:

It was an independent study. And I do agree, organic milk is probably the best way to go.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

How does organic or non organic relate to the fat content in milk, exactly? :huh:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    go to pubmed.gov search for dairy low fat weight loss. Some are saying lowfat dairy is beneficial to weight loss.

I ate low fat dairy and conceived the best prescription for fertility in some cases is just weight loss.

on the other hand if you enjoy full fat dairy drink it youll just have to eat a lil less
  • lynleeg88
    Options
    I drank 1%, 2% and whole milk all my life and NEVER had any issues of getting pregnant. JS.

Tired of seeing, "Ohhh know were all going to die if eat or drink anything!!!!!" *rolling eyes*

I wasn't trying to say you won't get pregnant if you drink it, just that it can factor into causes of infertility or why it takes some women so long to get pregnant. It isn't the milk itself, the milk just contributes to the possible problem.

I also never was so dramatic as to say it would kill you, just trying to give information to a website dedicated to healthy life that maybe something we thought was healthy isn't as much as we thought it was.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Until you actually know you have fertility problems, I wouldn't worry about small things like whole fat dairy vs. low fat. I haven't drank anything except skim since I was 19. I have had absolutely zero issues with fertility.
  • Shannon_PAC
    Options
    I switched to whole milk a couple years ago after saying it was too rich and gross for the longest time. But now that's all we use. I have noticed a big difference in my appetite control when I drink at least 2 glasses of whole milk per day. I try to buy grassfed organic, but if not, at least organic or local (hormone free). We also use grassfed butter (kerrygold) and sour cream.

There is actually an article in the coffee shop I frequent that says a lot of what you've posted. There is a sign that says, "We use whole milk unless you ask for something different. Ask us why." If you ask, they tell you that it tastes better for the lattes but they also direct you to a posting in the corner that discusses the positive attributes on full fat dairy for weight loss, appetite satiety, and nutrition.

Either way, it's interesting to me. I still eat some low fat Fage greek yogurt, but if I have the opportunity to buy the whole milk greek yogurt, that's what I buy. But it's hard to find many places.
  • lynleeg88
    Options
    go to pubmed.gov search for dairy low fat weight loss. Some are saying lowfat dairy is beneficial to weight loss.

I ate low fat dairy and conceived the best prescription for fertility in some cases is just weight loss

I've also used low-fat dairy is the past in my diets, and were successful (till I relapsed, *sigh*).

It was the long term health benefits of whole milk and the possible low-fat long term health effects I found most interesting.
  • FitFoodieMomBillie
    FitFoodieMomBillie Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose weight AND save money on groceries. When I can afford to buy organic/hormone free, I will get whole or 2%, but I get fat free when I opt for the cheap stuff.... I can't remember the source, but I've read that the hormones from the corporate raised animals resides predominately in fat....

That being said... hormone free fats are actually HEALTHY for us! (Despite what we learned in the 50's and since - we're finally coming around to this conclusion, but there's so much out there that it's hard to know what to follow.

I say, just balance your diet, and eat as WHOLE as you can afford to! As for fertility, every woman (and her body & pregnancy) is different. That's why a health-food, all organic, extremely fit woman can be infertile, while a woman living in a drug-induced blur in a high-house can get pregnant - time and again. Focus on being the best YOU that you can be, and trust that everything will fall into place as it should!

Blessings on your journey!
    Billie
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I've been seeing a nutritional doctor since last July. Just to be more healthy and lose weight, nothing to do with fertility. He advised to stay away from anything "diet" or low calorie. I do use organic, pasture raised skim milk, however, just because I don't like the taste of full or partial fat milk. I got back to only eating pasture raised foods years ago. I won't support the farms that mass raise animals. Animals need to be able to exercise. But that's my opinion and I digress. I know probably most people don't have access to pasture raised food. I'm lucky, I live in an area that I do. Also, the doctor advised to remove all sugar from my diet, which actually wasn't that difficult, and to remove anything with aspartame or any artificial sweetener except Truvia or Stevia. He said the artificial sweeteners will raise your insulin levels the same way that sugar will. He also advised me to avoid anything made with refined or white flour, and any vegetables raised below ground, i.e., potatoes, carrots, beets etc. So far, the diet has worked for me, I feel wonderful and have lost 74# since the Monday after the 4th of July. I also walk daily, at least an hour sometimes up to two hours. I would say that any shift to more natural or clean eating would do wonders for yourself, your fertility and your child. We all need to get back to basics and the way our grandfathers ate. We are killing ourselves with all the preservatives and "junk" added to the foods we eat, and feed our children. OK, I'll get off my soapbox now :)) hope I haven't offended anybody.
  • lynleeg88
    Options
    I switched to whole milk a couple years ago after saying it was too rich and gross for the longest time. But now that's all we use. I have noticed a big difference in my appetite control when I drink at least 2 glasses of whole milk per day. I try to buy grassfed organic, but if not, at least organic or local (hormone free). We also use grassfed butter (kerrygold) and sour cream.

There is actually an article in the coffee shop I frequent that says a lot of what you've posted. There is a sign that says, "We use whole milk unless you ask for something different. Ask us why." If you ask, they tell you that it tastes better for the lattes but they also direct you to a posting in the corner that discusses the positive attributes on full fat dairy for weight loss, appetite satiety, and nutrition.

Either way, it's interesting to me. I still eat some low fat Fage greek yogurt, but if I have the opportunity to buy the whole milk greek yogurt, that's what I buy. But it's hard to find many places.

My husband loves the switch to whole milk, lol. He hated the 2% I would get. Before that I drank skim. I really want to switch to organic when I can afford it.

With some things I think organic is a waste of money. but with milk? No.

I don't drink enough milk to know if it helps with my fullness, but from what I read, it does. I'm glad I switched. :)
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to make light of anyone struggling with fertility issues, but given the number of unwanted/unplanned pregnancies that occur, things like this make make me :huh: .

OP, I drank all the non-fat milk for 28 years, no issue concieving. I am not saying your shouldn't switch you milk if that gives you peace of mind. But correlation does not equal causation. Just because women with fertility issues consumed more non-fat dairy doesn't mean their fertility issue was CAUSED by the non-fat dairy. It could be their bodies act different with presented with non-fat dairy because of a third or forth variable the studies didn't consider. Basically, what I am saying is -- unless you suspect you have a fertiity this is not something to be concerned about.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the info given, but I have been drinking 2% and lower milk all my life. Skim milk all my adult life. I have had 4 babies and never tried to conceive for more than one month. Apparently, it never affected my ovulation.
  • lynleeg88
    Options
    I've been seeing a nutritional doctor since last July. Just to be more healthy and lose weight, nothing to do with fertility. He advised to stay away from anything "diet" or low calorie. I do use organic, pasture raised skim milk, however, just because I don't like the taste of full or partial fat milk. I got back to only eating pasture raised foods years ago. I won't support the farms that mass raise animals. Animals need to be able to exercise. But that's my opinion and I digress. I know probably most people don't have access to pasture raised food. I'm lucky, I live in an area that I do. Also, the doctor advised to remove all sugar from my diet, which actually wasn't that difficult, and to remove anything with aspartame or any artificial sweetener except Truvia or Stevia. He said the artificial sweeteners will raise your insulin levels the same way that sugar will. He also advised me to avoid anything made with refined or white flour, and any vegetables raised below ground, i.e., potatoes, carrots, beets etc. So far, the diet has worked for me, I feel wonderful and have lost 74# since the Monday after the 4th of July. I also walk daily, at least an hour sometimes up to two hours. I would say that any shift to more natural or clean eating would do wonders for yourself, your fertility and your child. We all need to get back to basics and the way our grandfathers ate. We are killing ourselves with all the preservatives and "junk" added to the foods we eat, and feed our children. OK, I'll get off my soapbox now :)) hope I haven't offended anybody.

I always preferred the taste of skim milk too, less thick. so it was more refreshing to me when I was drinking a glass of milk and not just adding it to food or coffee. I suspect I have a degree of lactose problems as well, and for some reason skim milk hurts my stomac less then whole. Since switching to whole, I haven't indulged in a glass of milk though to know, just use it in what i cook.

I worry about preservatives as well.
  • ashliejones13
    Options
    all milk is bad for you. just drink almond.
  • lynleeg88
    Options
    I'm trying to lose weight AND save money on groceries. When I can afford to buy organic/hormone free, I will get whole or 2%, but I get fat free when I opt for the cheap stuff.... I can't remember the source, but I've read that the hormones from the corporate raised animals resides predominately in fat....

That being said... hormone free fats are actually HEALTHY for us! (Despite what we learned in the 50's and since - we're finally coming around to this conclusion, but there's so much out there that it's hard to know what to follow.

I say, just balance your diet, and eat as WHOLE as you can afford to! As for fertility, every woman (and her body & pregnancy) is different. That's why a health-food, all organic, extremely fit woman can be infertile, while a woman living in a drug-induced blur in a high-house can get pregnant - time and again. Focus on being the best YOU that you can be, and trust that everything will fall into place as it should!

Blessings on your journey!
    Billie

I read something similar. And I like the idea that whole milk actually helps stabilize blood sugar.

The hormone free fat is what bothers me about switching to whole, I could not afford organic. So I wonder if I even did myself much good by switching.

I think I may be going a little much with what i am cutting from my diet already (some fish, because of mercury, too much vitamin D also leads to birth defects). I just figured if my goal in losing weight was a healthy baby I might as well go all the way. I've never tried, so for all I know I'm a natural baby-maker, lol. Just want to increase my chances.

And thank you!