Wearable Fitness Trackers

Options
OK - So I was going to get the FitBit Force, but then read the news about it giving people severe rashes.
I'd like something with a display and automatic sync with my phone. I am assuming that data has to be on for it to track properly though.
Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Replies

• LuckyCheryl
    LuckyCheryl Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit and no rash - wear it 24/7 except in the sauna and shower. LOVE IT!
  • KayaSamantha
    KayaSamantha Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit One and LOVE it! I just clip it to my pocket/waistband and forget about it. :)
  • c4chaos610
    c4chaos610 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit and no rash - wear it 24/7 except in the sauna and shower. LOVE IT!

Is it a Flex, Force, or One?
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the unlucky people who did develop irritation and had to send my Force back. My doctor said it didn't look like a nickel allergy, more like a chemical burn. (yikes) I just ended up going back to the Flex model. I used a Flex before the Force and was always fine with it. The display is very rudimentary - you can only see 20% increments of your step progress, with each 20% being represented by a glowing dot.

The Force had a lot of nice features, but in all honestly, the Flex is more comfortable to wear and I like that it can go in the water.
  • DorothyR87
    Options
    I have the flex and my husband has the force and neither of us have had an issue. We were them all the time except for when showering.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Flex & a Jawbone UP. I like them both, but Jawbone's app is better & Fitbit's customer service is better. Fitbit makes other trackers that can be fastened to your clothing. Jawbone requires a compatible smartphone or tablet, while Fitbit has a web interface & a dongle to sync w/ computers.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Fitbit Force and have had NO rash. I think it depends on you. Good luck whichever device you choose! I think it really helps. :drinker:
  • breezanemom
    Options
    I have a FitBit Flex and LOVE IT!!!!! No rashes or other problems. I wear mine 24/7 unless in the shower or it's charging.

My husband bought a Force and hated it - it never worked right, so he sent it back and got a Flex, which he LOVES!!!!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried a Polar Loop? I'm thinking of getting one and wondered if anyone had any experience with it?
  • craftykat12
    craftykat12 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i have the force and I love it, I put black duct tape on the inside of the band and I have had no problems.
  • sophiek1964
    sophiek1964 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar Loop and really like it. I also got the Polar H7 bluetooth chest strap that works with my Loop for a more accurate calorie burn read. I especially like that the band displays calories burned and steps taken and the time with a touch of a button.
  • greymane98
    greymane98 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The Fitbit One will sync. I prefer one that doesn't scream "tracker" on my wrist.
  • sars_68
    sars_68 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I wear a Fitbit One 24/7 (except in the shower) - never had any problems. I clip it in my bra. :smile:
  • srgtbiggles
    srgtbiggles Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Love my FitBit Zip!
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I love my Withings Pulse! I think anything where you can see how you're doing throughout the day will be a great motivator to get to the next step.

I read a study comparing different fitness trackers, and the armband ones tended to be a little less accurate than the ones you clip on or wear in your pocket, simply because some people use their hands to talk and he didn't swing his arms when he was walking on the treadmill, so something to keep in mind while you're deciding. But I think anything giving you a closer and consistent view of how you're doing would help.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Anything giving you a closer and consistent view of how you're doing would help.
    ^This. Don't overthink the accuracy. Use your step count as a metric to gauge your activity level. Take more steps today than yesterday or last week.
  • baby_valiant
    baby_valiant Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I was waiting for the Force to come out in Australia - but after hearing varying reviews about the Force and weighing up the pros and cons I went and purchased a flex on Friday. It is handy for me to be able to leave it on all the time and be confident it's not going to get damaged by water - especially when I wash horses! So far I love it - I have compared it against my Garmin Forerunner and have found for distance it is pretty accurate but for calories burnt it isn't as much. So I just wear both when I work out and adjust the calories from my Forerunner to my Fitbit at the end of the workout.

I use it as a gauge as editorgrrl said for my activity level rather than taking every reading it says as 'gospel'
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    This may be a silly question but would the fitbit one be able to track activity during spin class if attached to your waistband or would it not detect it?
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    This may be a silly question but would the fitbit one be able to track activity during spin class if attached to your waistband or would it not detect it?

You would need to manually log your spinning workout in the Fitbit dashboard.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Non-step based activity must be logged either in the activity tracker (this is what I do) or in MFP–never both. If you log in MFP, you'll be asked for start & end times. Then MFP overrides your step data during that time.