is it ok to eat junk sometimes?

Options

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    most 'junk' has ingredients that will slow your metabolism even if you're hitting your goals.

If you get a craving try finding substitutes for the worst things so you don't have to go cold turkey.

Instead of crisps try popcorn, popchips or snakajacks etc, turkey instead of chicken and other meats, wholemeal instead of white bread, the list goes on. I find choosing the right alternatives part of the challenge :)

There is nothing in ANY food that slows your metabolism (what an odd idea!).

There is no need to cut out any foods you enjoy in order to lose weight. Just make sure they fit your macros.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    most 'junk' has ingredients that will slow your metabolism even if you're hitting your goals.

If you get a craving try finding substitutes for the worst things so you don't have to go cold turkey.

Instead of crisps try popcorn, popchips or snakajacks etc, turkey instead of chicken and other meats, wholemeal instead of white bread, the list goes on. I find choosing the right alternatives part of the challenge :)

What ingredients would those be?
  • PDarrall
    PDarrall Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    It's fine.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Eat what you enjoy; pay attention to your protein, fat, carb macros; pay attention to your micronutrients; but EAT WHAT YOU ENJOY.

Don't give up the foods you love, just eat less of them. Scaring yourself with all the nonsense about slowing your metabolism, becoming toxic, etc. etc. is counterproductive. Stay happy and stay on track.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Is is ok to eat regular food sometimes while losing weight? or should i try to always stick to healthy alternatives, like low fat turkey over .. lets say bacon for example? because this morning i sneaked a johnsonsville bacon cheese beef burger into my morning calorie limit. LOL and it was YUM . and very satisfying too! i didn't eat bread with it though and i had it on top of a healthy salad. what are your opinions?

Some will tell you that if it fits your macros then sure why not.

Others will tell you that you need to only eat "clean foods."

Yet others will tell you that there is a food/mood connection so a calorie isn't just a calorie in terms of how what you eat affects you on multiple levels.

It depends on what you want to hear really. You'll get all kinds of replies to your question. They may all be right or not so right. What matters is what fits for your individual case.

Yes. Some will try to fill your head with utter nonsense, and others will tell you the truth. Calories and macros matter. Micronutrients matter to general health. The rest doesn't seem to have much, if any, demonstrable effect.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    on workout days only-
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Is is ok to eat regular food sometimes while losing weight? or should i try to always stick to healthy alternatives, like low fat turkey over .. lets say bacon for example? because this morning i sneaked a johnsonsville bacon cheese beef burger into my morning calorie limit. LOL and it was YUM . and very satisfying too! i didn't eat bread with it though and i had it on top of a healthy salad. what are your opinions?

Could you please clarify what is your definition of regular food, healthy alternatives, and junk food ? I am curious because one person's junk maybe another person's treasure (or something like that).
  • mndavid
    mndavid Posts: 20
    Options
    Whatever you do should be sustainable. And forgoing everything yummy is not, IMO, sustainable.

This is the stance I have personally taken. I've found a lot of ways to be smarter about it, that's all. Last night I had a 4oz piece of steak. No marinade, no sauce. I cooked it over a tiny drizzle of olive oil that had ground pepper and fresh garlic on it.

I'm being a little more strict with myself as I develop habits, but I WILL have pizza again dammit! :)
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    No. Never. So just send all of your junk to me, kplzthx.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    See, I think low-fat versions of most things taste like junk. Like low fat cheese... I'd rather eat lovely full-fat cheese and take the hit on my calorie total. I guess I don't think of "real" versions of food to be junk.

Junk to me is fast food and sweets. Then I get really picky--it had better be delicious if I'm spending calories on it. I won't eat McDonalds, but I wouldn't turn down a Chicago-style hot dog if someone handed me one right now. I won't eat Oreos or Chips Ahoy, but if you bake me a homemade cookie, it's going down the hatch.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I have bacon and eggs for breakfast a lot. If it fits your macros then you will still reach your goals :)
  • lclemur
    lclemur Posts: 11
    Options
    For me, it depends on whether it is a "trigger" food. If just a little bit triggers your need for more and more, then, no, don't do it. Again, for me, it is like alcohol. Some foods I can't "go down that road." BUT, I like the advice of an old Weight Watchers coach - "When you crave something, sometimes you will eat tons of other options to abate that craving, to no avail. Instead of wasting all those calories on alternatives, might as well eat half of that food portion." It made a lot of sense at the time. Of course back then, I had a goal weight of 132. Ha! My family would think I was dying if I ever reached that goal now!
  • gotogirl81
    gotogirl81 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    junk is such a grey area.

who ever said BACON was junk?

:huh:
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options

Which junk slows you metabolism? And chicken is considered junk now?!
  • wrenegade64
    wrenegade64 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Last I knew, none of us are cyborgs or have computer chips in us. If that were the case, weight loss and weight maintenance would be a piece of cake. If you don't satisfy an occasional craving once in a while, the urge will only get stronger and stronger. You already demonstrated strength in character when you indicated that you ate the burger without the bun and with a salad. That already shows you have great judgement skills.

To splurge once in a while is ok. To show good judgement always is SPECTACULAR! Very proud of you young lady. I personally think you set an awesome example for others :-)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Notice that you call it "junk" and then "regular food". Eat food. Nourish your body. Have a cheeseburger from time to time. Don't sweat the labeling so much, but try to stay within your calorie goals. And, as you're moving along, try new foods, and see what you like from the "healthier" foods. And try to find a balance between nutrient dense foods and foods that appeal to your taste buds.

Or, conversely, try to make your favorite meals in a more healthy manner. But yes, there's nothing wrong with having a cheeseburger when you have a hankering for one.
    There are many ways to do this. You need to figure out what works for you.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Eat junk? You mean like rocky mountain oysters?
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    yes.

i love gushers
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Eat junk? You mean like rocky mountain oysters?

:laugh: :laugh: :happy:
  • rachelamber_x
    rachelamber_x Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    As far as I am concerned, I would say if you really want it then eat it. Just make sure it fits into your daily goal. If you are under your calories you will still lose weight.