I'm obese but active - cut calories or bump calories?

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Just in case , hopefully you aren't using added sugar of any kind or eating bread.

Black coffee with no milk or sugar actually starts to taste sweet after a few days drinking it.

Some don't believe it put sugar in cofee and tea plus bread of most kinds , piles on weight.

I put sugar in my coffee and eat all kinds of breads. Do I look like I have piles of weight on?

I put sugar on my bread!

I actually don't but I want to now. Just because.

Cinnamon toast . . . mmmm

NOTHING better than cinnamon toast fresh from the oven. YUM.

5b6954fbaeba111439048abc3f37807f.jpg

I like you. :flowerforyou:

It's just the smell of bubbling butter, melting sugar, toasting bread & heavenly cinnamon.

Damn, that looks good!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Just in case , hopefully you aren't using added sugar of any kind or eating bread.

Black coffee with no milk or sugar actually starts to taste sweet after a few days drinking it.

Some don't believe it put sugar in cofee and tea plus bread of most kinds , piles on weight.

I put sugar in my coffee and eat all kinds of breads. Do I look like I have piles of weight on?

I put sugar on my bread!

I like you. :flowerforyou:

It's just the smell of bubbling butter, melting sugar, toasting bread & heavenly cinnamon.

Damn, that looks good!

Oh it is. Trust me.
  • oiypus
    oiypus Posts: 30 Member

I put sugar on my bread!

You are evil...but lovely... gimme that! :love:
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    I'd suggest lifting weights and bumping up calories. weight lifting will help you lose inches which you'll SEE in the mirror rather than on the scale.

In this case, this advice isn't going to get her to goal. First, she has to know exactly how much she is eating, and the only way she can do that is to follow SideSteel's advice and weigh and measure everything and monitor her calories to see how much she is actually eating.

Strength training, however, is a good idea.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member

I put sugar on my bread!

Add milk for something my dad would call "bread soup".
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Netting 1350 at your height, the change is going to happen slowly. I would just keep at it if I were you, assuming the scale is moving at all (which I'm going to assume it is). Also, be sure you're logging everything, weighing everything (get yourself a kitchen scale if you don't already have one) and if you're "eating back" exercise calories, be sure you have a heart rate monitor. I'm 4'11 and 3/4. I net no more than 1200 to lose but it has taken me 3 years to get where I am. At your heart, it will happen, just slower because it's harder to create a calorie deficit.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Now I need cinnamon toast! :ohwell:
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    I think you would be best off taking the next two weeks and focus on logging everything, using a food scale when you are able to, and really get a good handle on intake accuracy with your logging.

You have several missing days, and several incomplete days where you've not logged everything. This makes it more difficult to make accurate assessments about energy intake.

Once you do this you should get a better idea of what's happening and how to fix it.

Obviously, this ^^^^^

Now, I really want French Toast.
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member

• Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Try using a tape measure and scales, just because you aren't losing weight doesn't means you aren't losing the inches. Good luck!
  • As someone who has clinical experience, and personal experience in diet, I encourage you to lower calories, focus on WHERE those calories come from, increase whole foods that are organic, low in sodium and low on the glycemic scale, high in whole grain and especially non chemically treated protein sources. You described your life as sedentary minus your workouts, try to incorporate walking, stairs, and even chair exercises while in front of computer or tv... Park the car further from locations and appointments, and walk. Most importantly, take supplements without fillers and drink lots of water ;)
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member

I put sugar on my bread!

Toast with cinnamon sugar is a yummy snack...just saying...
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Info - I'm 4'11, 155lbs...I want to lose another 20 lb...I'm currently trying to keep my calories under 1350 net, but i'm not seeing any real change on the scale.

Here's the thing. At that height and weight, you are most likely at approximately 50% body fat. This puts your BMR at 1100ish and your non-exercise TDEE at 1300ish.

The exercise you describe is going to burn very few calories.

Putting it all together, the reason you are seeing minimal progress at 1350 calories is that you are eating too much for your activity level. If you want to lose weight, then either burn a lot more at current intake, or eat less.
  • Palm sugar is a great substitute for white sugar. It has the ability to balance your blood sugars instead of the yo-yo effect that white sugar has, helping with weight loss by balancing the blood sugars, and has minerals essential for your body, and can be used in every way sugar is... Including making toffee and chocolate :) Or try Stevia, its Diabetic safe, totally natural like palm sugar and has similar health benefits with zero glycemic level!
    As someone who has clinical experience, and personal experience in diet, I encourage you to lower calories, focus on WHERE those calories come from, increase whole foods that are organic, low in sodium and low on the glycemic scale, high in whole grain and especially non chemically treated protein sources. You described your life as sedentary minus your workouts, try to incorporate walking, stairs, and even chair exercises while in front of computer or tv... Park the car further from locations and appointments, and walk. Most importantly, take supplements without fillers and drink lots of water ;)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Palm sugar is a great substitute for white sugar. It has the ability to balance your blood sugars instead of the yo-yo effect that white sugar has, helping with weight loss by balancing the blood sugars, and has minerals essential for your body, and can be used in every way sugar is... Including making toffee and chocolate :) Or try Stevia, its Diabetic safe, totally natural like palm sugar and has similar health benefits with zero glycemic level!
    As someone who has clinical experience, and personal experience in diet, I encourage you to lower calories, focus on WHERE those calories come from, increase whole foods that are organic, low in sodium and low on the glycemic scale, high in whole grain and especially non chemically treated protein sources. You described your life as sedentary minus your workouts, try to incorporate walking, stairs, and even chair exercises while in front of computer or tv... Park the car further from locations and appointments, and walk. Most importantly, take supplements without fillers and drink lots of water ;)

There's a reasonable amount of data suggesting that the glycemic index isn't really something one needs to be concerned about.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/532251-let-s-talk-about-the-gi-index (<--- well referenced post)
    http://alanaragon.com/glycemic-index
  • davepearson86
    davepearson86 Posts: 158 Member
    OP: if sedentary tdee for your height/weight/activity is 1300 you're netting 1350 it will take 70 days to gain 1 lb.
  • EnergeticMC
    EnergeticMC Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks for all the replies! Wow, first time posting and it's heartening to see how many people are willing to offer advice.

Just a side note on the comments about logging everything. Other than those days where it's obvious I didn't log anything, so the days with only around 500 calories, that IS all I've eaten. I have a very weird work schedule, of 2 12hr day shifts followed by 2 12 hour night shifts, followed by 4 days off. I won't really eat after midnight, because it upsets my stomach. So I will work 6pm-6am, I will have dinner at 7pm, maybe a snack around 11, then I won't eat the rest of my work shift, go home, sleep till 230 pm, Have a meal around 330, another meal around 730, snack around 11. That is how those days are so few calories. On the change-over between days to nights, I'm up for 24 hours straight, so unfortunately I eat more to stay awake and alert. And lord help me if I'm eating out somewhere. Still not quite able to make the healthiest choices. Or at least, what i think sounds healthy is a calorie bomb, ugh.

My plateau actually started when I started working this crazy schedule of 4on/4off. This schedule is beginning to mess with my system, so I think when I'll be able to get back to regular shifts and eating healthy options at regular times I'll notice a difference.

Thanks again!!
  • 5b6954fbaeba111439048abc3f37807f.jpg

Oh no you guys! I want to lose weight and eat the cinnamon toast, but I hate cinnamon HALP!

To the OP: you can make healthy choices because it's a choice. Reset your head to that fact and you will have power over your diet. Yesterday, I chose to eat a bunch of weird stuff at a party. Today I will choose differently.

Time and practice will allow you to learn what those hidden "calorie bombs" are. It helps to have the phone app and look things up before you put them in your mouth.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    skipping the above. I'm 4 10" Shorties unite!!!!!!

Be consistent with the logging, then add in some consistent exercise. Have accountability people to help you out for when you slip up, because we ALL slip up... so they can help you get right back up.

Feel free to add me if you'd like. I'd love to help

Nancy
  • callas444
    callas444 Posts: 261 Member
    Definitely go for the strength training. Strength training helps boost your metabolism.