Does skin ever 'tighten'?? Please help!

Options

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I wish that I did! Honestly, I never dreamed I would want a photo of what it looked like. :grumble:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights is great exercise, but it does not shrink skin. Hydration and time do that. To what extent depends on several factors including genetics, how long the skin was stretched, and your age.

Drink plenty of fluids, lotion up the affected area often, be patient. Those are your best bets.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I wish that I did! Honestly, I never dreamed I would want a photo of what it looked like. :grumble:
    I can relate to that. :smile:
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Apply coconut oil onto skin, could also try DMAE. There is some limited evidence that it helps tighten loose skin.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Okay, let me preface this with I am older and did the diet rollercoaster for years before settling into a healthy lifestyle. My belly is a mess, but I'm learning to be okay with it. The first few times I lost the weight, my tummy bounced back (tok about a year after my loss), but there is only so much elsticity there. Best advice is lose the weight & keep it off.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/rides4sanity/view/time-to-share-the-belly-photo-ughhh-616669
  • castadrora85
    castadrora85 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am suffering terribly from the same thing. I had my son when I was 27 (17 months ago) and I've lost 73lbs from the day I had him, until now... so you can imagine the meat apron that I am haunted with. lol I am working hard to tone but it makes it difficult. the skin isn't like the rest of the skin on my body. the elasticity seems to be gone. when I suck in REALLY hard, it looks as though the pouch lifts a bit which gives me hope that if I lose the extra 40lbs I need to lose, It MAY actually tone up and shrink.

Here's hoping! I know weights help, but what kind of weights can you do to improve the skin on your stomach? I've been working hard with crunches and such. of course healthy eating and lots of water.
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Baby belly is really gross, but I'm sure it can be eliminated. You are still young, so that's on your side.

Firming lotion and crunches will probably be your best bet. Lots of crunches! And I don't mean Captain Crunches lol.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Definitely lift heavy things, drink lots of water and massage with vitamin E oils + moisturizing lotion. These can help but unfortunately once the skin has been stretched, depending on your genetics, it won't go away. All you can do is try to fill it with muscle. To the person who asked about what kind of weights you can do to improve skin etc: like I said definitely lift heavy - explore programs like New Rules of Weight Lifting For Women, Stronglifts 5x5, use medicine balls, etc,. You can't just do crunches, you have to work the entire body.
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You've no doubt done a great job but it's not the same thing.

At 165 lbs, less 25 lbs is only 140 lbs. I don't know how tall you are but I presume that you're of average height so 140 lbs is hardly overweight. I gained a heck of a lot after all my pregnancies because of the effects of pregnancy. The only time I've ever been fat or obese (probably over 200 lbs) was when I was pregnant.

And yes, your post did refer to eating right, not lifting. I quoted the wrong post. Anyhow, eating right did not help as I ate (and still do) at least 100 gms protein daily for 2, going on 3 years now.

As I said, I don't want to be discouraging to others, but then again, for a lot of individuals, loose skin cannot easily be gotten rid of without outside intervention (aka tummy tuck, cosmetic surgery, miracle creams, if any etc). That's not to say "give up hope and die now". It's just a reality many will have to put up with.

I started out at 120 lbs, so it was a 45lb weight gain and it was all in my tummy. Trust me, it got HUGE. I won't argue that I am genetically blessed to not be prone to stretch marks. But I definitely had loose skin, and still do. But in the 10 years since I gave birth, it has slowly but surely gotten tighter. I'm almost 50 now.

Oh, and I find it a bit insulting that you think it was 'easy' for me to improve my loose skin. It wasn't. I had to lose the weight, and get back into shape all while watching my macros.

And oh, I find it insulting that you present your opinions without acknowledging that in many circumstances, loose skin due to prior pregnancies cannot simply be gotten rid of through diet and exercise!

Did you actually SEE the picture the OP posted in her post above?? You think the saggy bit at the bottom can be gotten rid off through diet and exercise?

No way.

If you read her post, you would see that that is not actually the OP's stomach. I also think it just takes the piss out of you that you can't argue with my results. lol

You've lost me there completely. What results?? You did not even show any before versus after loose skin!

See the pic (and yes, I know it's not hers, but she said that it LOOKED like that) and show me your before and after pictures and the results you have achieved through diet.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    You've no doubt done a great job but it's not the same thing.

At 165 lbs, less 25 lbs is only 140 lbs. I don't know how tall you are but I presume that you're of average height so 140 lbs is hardly overweight. I gained a heck of a lot after all my pregnancies because of the effects of pregnancy. The only time I've ever been fat or obese (probably over 200 lbs) was when I was pregnant.

And yes, your post did refer to eating right, not lifting. I quoted the wrong post. Anyhow, eating right did not help as I ate (and still do) at least 100 gms protein daily for 2, going on 3 years now.

As I said, I don't want to be discouraging to others, but then again, for a lot of individuals, loose skin cannot easily be gotten rid of without outside intervention (aka tummy tuck, cosmetic surgery, miracle creams, if any etc). That's not to say "give up hope and die now". It's just a reality many will have to put up with.

I started out at 120 lbs, so it was a 45lb weight gain and it was all in my tummy. Trust me, it got HUGE. I won't argue that I am genetically blessed to not be prone to stretch marks. But I definitely had loose skin, and still do. But in the 10 years since I gave birth, it has slowly but surely gotten tighter. I'm almost 50 now.

Oh, and I find it a bit insulting that you think it was 'easy' for me to improve my loose skin. It wasn't. I had to lose the weight, and get back into shape all while watching my macros.

And oh, I find it insulting that you present your opinions without acknowledging that in many circumstances, loose skin due to prior pregnancies cannot simply be gotten rid of through diet and exercise!

Did you actually SEE the picture the OP posted in her post above?? You think the saggy bit at the bottom can be gotten rid off through diet and exercise?

No way.

If you read her post, you would see that that is not actually the OP's stomach. I also think it just takes the piss out of you that you can't argue with my results. lol

You've lost me there completely. What results?? You did not even show any before versus after loose skin!

See the pic (and yes, I know it's not hers, but she said that it LOOKED like that) and show me your before and after pictures and the results you have achieved through diet.

Wow, you really are hostile, aren't you? Like I previously stated, I didn't take 'before' pics. It was 10 years ago. All of this I have been very up front about. I have had a baby, and those are my belly pics (my results). What is it exactly you are trying to call into question? Because I can play this game all day. :bigsmile:
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Wow, you really are hostile, aren't you? Like I previously stated, I didn't take 'before' pics. It was 10 years ago. All of this I have been very up front about. I have had a baby, and those are my belly pics (my results). What is it exactly you are trying to call into question? Because I can play this game all day. :bigsmile:

Nah, let's not. I haven't got all day and I shouldn't be on the forum now, whoops! (And isn't it evening or night at your end?)

We are both probably in agreement anyway but simply trying to prove a particular point that represents only a part of the whole puzzle!

OP, good luck to you with your journey :)
  • MadameLAL
    MadameLAL Posts: 108
    Options
    A stomach that has carried children and looks like it is NOT GROSS!

OK, now that I got that out of my system - yes, depending on your age and genetics, your skin will tighten to some extent. Anecdotal evidence is that a high protein diet will help as well. High protein being 1.1 to 1.4g/lean body mass (the latest recommendation on protein requirements during calorie restriction).

Best of luck! :drinker:

ETA: I have had only 1 baby, but it was when I was 40, so I had that against me. Feel free to creep the photos in my profile to see what it looks like now. There is loose skin, but it is only noticeable when I do pushups (for instance) and happen to glance down. Then I just remind myself of what my body produced, and I wouldn't trade it for the world!!

I have yet to see loose skin improving after weight lifting. Please show me some pictures.

Sorry, I know I'm being a debbie downer but I've got the same problem as the OP and even though I'm slim and have lifted for sometime now, the loose skin from pregnancy is still there and it IS unsightly. I can't wear bikinis because of that.

You're not being a 'debbie downer', you are speaking the hard honest truth!!!!!!
    I've had one child and had hundreds of stretch marks and have loose skin. The fatter I am, the tighter the skin on my belly. The more weight I lose, the flappier my stomach gets.
    Lifting weights, eating right and drinking lots of water is not going to change my skin in any way shape or form - and I've lifted for over 12 years, stomach has been around for coming up 16.
    I've had personal trainers and doctors tell me that the only way to get rid of my skin will be to cut it off. I'm under no illusion that the more sit ups I do will help rid me of the belly.

So true. Unfortunate, but true.
  • CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Baby belly is really gross, but I'm sure it can be eliminated. You are still young, so that's on your side.

Firming lotion and crunches will probably be your best bet. Lots of crunches! And I don't mean Captain Crunches lol.

See this is the problem right here. People trying to be helpful when in fact they don't know what they are talking about. You can get to single digit % body fat and have a full on deep cut 6 pack and the lose skin wont go away. The whole wait x amount of time doctors tell you is just so you can see the real truth, the lose skin doesn't matter.

This is my pic
    VMj22M6.jpg
  • remaho80
    remaho80 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go with NO on this one. I'm in the same boat.
  • MadameLAL
    MadameLAL Posts: 108
    Options
    This has been my experience too. But, I just want to comment on how great you look--very nice muscle definition.

ETA: To CrusaderSam
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

33oqrtl.jpg

28hmnwn.jpg

Amazing job!

OMG you have the belly of a 19 yr old. Amazing work! :)
  • louisemallas
    louisemallas Posts: 59 Member
    Options

See this is the problem right here. People trying to be helpful when in fact they don't know what they are talking about. You can get to single digit % body fat and have a full on deep cut 6 pack and the lose skin wont go away. The whole wait x amount of time doctors tell you is just so you can see the real truth, the lose skin doesn't matter.

This is my pic
    VMj22M6.jpg

Well done on your weight loss - Fantastic! ..........and you've eloquently illustrated the point you were making.
  • QuietBloom
    Options

This is my pic
    VMj22M6.jpg

To be fair, in other threads it has been pointed out to you that others have found that loose skin improves upon doing a few cut and bulk cycles. So I'm not ready to say that you are doomed to carry that much loose skin forever.
  • QuietBloom
    Options

33oqrtl.jpg

28hmnwn.jpg

Amazing job!

OMG you have the belly of a 19 yr old. Amazing work! :)

Thank you very much! :flowerforyou:
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    A stomach that has carried children and looks like it is NOT GROSS!

OK, now that I got that out of my system - yes, depending on your age and genetics, your skin will tighten to some extent. Anecdotal evidence is that a high protein diet will help as well. High protein being 1.1 to 1.4g/lean body mass (the latest recommendation on protein requirements during calorie restriction).

Best of luck! :drinker:

ETA: I have had only 1 baby, but it was when I was 40, so I had that against me. Feel free to creep the photos in my profile to see what it looks like now. There is loose skin, but it is only noticeable when I do pushups (for instance) and happen to glance down. Then I just remind myself of what my body produced, and I wouldn't trade it for the world!!

I have yet to see loose skin improving after weight lifting. Please show me some pictures.

Sorry, I know I'm being a debbie downer but I've got the same problem as the OP and even though I'm slim and have lifted for sometime now, the loose skin from pregnancy is still there and it IS unsightly. I can't wear bikinis because of that.

Speaking truthfully about your experience doesn't make you a "debbie downer." From what I've seen, your experience is not uncommon. I have different issues: I'm very pear-shaped, though not overweight. It's extremely irritating to read people go on and on about how exercise and diet will change one's body shape when that is simply not the case.

If the OP is bothered by the skin, she should follow the advice of the mfp member who suggested she wait until she's maintained her weight loss for two years, at which point she should consult a plastic surgeon.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!