Calorie Calculators

Options
I have noticed discrepancies between what the exercise machines tell me I am burning calorie wise versus what the calculators here tell me I am burning. Which do you guys think would be considered more accurate?

Thanks!

Replies

• janetgardiner
    Options
    I use a HRM FT7. I find that is the best way to do it.
    Hope that's a little bit of a help
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I too have a discrepancy between the numbers on the recumbent bike and the numbers listed on MFP and other sites. Here is what I think is the issue for me at least. My recumbent bike doesn't let me put in my age, current weight, and height, so it is providing an "estimate" based on some "average" weight etc. So, MFP does include my weight, age, and height and so I think it is probably more accurate.

My treadmill usually comes close to matching the numbers on MFP and I can put in my weight and age into it.

Vickie
  • runtothefinish
    Options
    Unfortunately studies have shown exercise machines are anywhere from 10-20% too high. You should always assume they are at least 10% high and enter your data in a calculator later for accurate results (most accurate if you have your BF entered).

Amanda
    RunToTheFinish.blogspot.com
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    i would highly recommend a HRM or BodyBugg type device - I use the latter, and found that both the gym machines and MFP gives estimates that are considerably high on quite a few exercises. Occasionally it will go the other way (my BodyBugg says I've burned more) but that doesn't happen too often. The machines and MFP use such generic calculations that it's hard for them to really be accurate for most people. I'm willing to bet they estimate on the high side because they know that's what people want to see! Lol

I wear my BodyBugg all day and when I use it faithfully and log all my calories here, it can pretty closely predict my weight loss, which tells me it's accurately estimating calorie burn. (There's some variance, probably due to water weight fluctuation, digestive system, etc. - but not too much.)
  • DJH510
    DJH510 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Any measurement of calorie burn taken outside of an oxygen controlled laboratory is only going to be a ballpark estimate, and that includes heart rate monitors. Which device is the most accurate depends on several variables, so the best you can do is get a few estimates and take an average. Ultimately the exact amount of calories used isn;t too important, as long as you are generally getting in a good amount of exercise and eating roughly the right amount!