Spaghetti Squash

Options
2»

Replies

• CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I made this for Thanksgiving, and even my daughter, who won't eat anything that looks weird, loooooved it! I used reduced fat Mexican four cheese blend because my store doesn't carry the mild cheddar, and vegetable broth instead of chicken.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/01/baked-spaghetti-squash-and-cheese.html
  • ASN2615
    ASN2615 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Since the spaghetti squash can be a bit tough to cut, I toss it in the microwave for 3-4 minutes so the skin can get a little soft. I then cut the ends off, and cut it length wise. Scoop out the seeds (they can be saved for raosting, like pumpkin seeds) season it, and put in oven for 40-45 minutes. I like to mix it in with "zoodles" for lots of veggies and toss in whatever protein I have with some sauce and cheese.
  • WOODWAYONE
    WOODWAYONE Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Katxith
    Options
    I found that I can skip some of the prep steps and it still cooks up fine. I cut it in half lengthwise, take out the seeds, and then just cover each half in tin foil and back it on a sheet for about 40-45 min at 400. I just poke it with a fork to see if its done. The water in the squash gets trapped by the tin foil and steams itself (theres always some water to drain out when you remove it from the oven). Makes a simple veg prep even simpler :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I found that I can skip some of the prep steps and it still cooks up fine. I cut it in half lengthwise, take out the seeds, and then just cover each half in tin foil and back it on a sheet for about 40-45 min at 400. I just poke it with a fork to see if its done. The water in the squash gets trapped by the tin foil and steams itself (theres always some water to drain out when you remove it from the oven). Makes a simple veg prep even simpler :)

That's how I do it too... but I never have any water problem.

It's totally helped me with my pasta cravings honestly. With tomato sauce and cheese, I can hardly tell the difference (but I always use a lot of sauce). But a huge bowl for 200 calories vs 400, I'll take it.
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I don't even cut in 1/2 - I just poke a couple holes in it w/a skewer and throw the thing in the oven whole...I find it easier to cut and removed the seeds after its cooked...works just fine for me...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash. It's good plain with absolutely nothing added. But my favorites are served with mushroom sauce, with pesto, lightly tossed with fresh tomatoes and garlic that have been sauteed in olive oil, or with just a little grated parmesan.

I don't really use it as a pasta substitute though. I do not like it with cream or tomato based pasta sauces. I think they overpower it so that I can't taste the squash.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I just like it on it's own also as a side dish but I have contemplated making home made chili and filling the squash sprinkle a little cheese and baking it. Maybe I will try that this week :)

Oh my!! I must try this.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i tried spaghetti squash for the first time two weeks ago. IM ADDICTED. ihave had it only with a little butter and parm cheese or even plain with a lil salt and pepper. i enjoy it so much! i actually have brought some for lunch today which i get to enjoy in 5 mins. i am starving too. lol. cant wait.
  • MelAb8709
    MelAb8709 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    This is how I make mine, only instead of steaming it, I just put a bit of olive oil on a cookie sheet, and put the squash halves squash-side down on the pan and bake until I can squeeze it easily (like a baked potato). Flip and shred with the fork. I also like a bit of butter and some Parmesan cheese on mine or just plain. I have also had it tossed with fresh spinach leaves, tomatoes, and mozzarella chunks.
    [/quote]

This sounds delicious! Thanks for the tip.
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I half mine and scoop the seeds. Put a dab of light olive oil in each half with some pepper, salt, seasoning. Place cut side down on a cookie sheet and bake for about an hour on 350(f) then I scrape the inside into a baking dish with some part skim mozz, some tomato sauce and sprinkle parmesan over the top and let it all melt and the top crisp. You can add chicken, ground turkey, beef whatever its delicious.

I saw a recipe online that was to cook the squash the same way but then scrape the strings into a pan on the stove top and cook with some honey lime shrimp or some garlic butter shrimp and its supposedly amazing. Going to try this one soon.
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash. It's good plain with absolutely nothing added. But my favorites are served with mushroom sauce, with pesto, lightly tossed with fresh tomatoes and garlic that have been sauteed in olive oil, or with just a little grated parmesan.

I don't really use it as a pasta substitute though. I do not like it with cream or tomato based pasta sauces. I think they overpower it so that I can't taste the squash.

bumping so I can come back to this specific recipe lol
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I love this recipe also. I do make a couple of changes............

Instead of pizza sauce, I use spaghetti sauce instead of pizza sauce and add in some pepperoni, onion, bell pepper.

http://paleomg.com/almost-5-ingredient-pizza-spaghetti-pie/