Recs for spin bike

Options
I'm looking for some recs for a good quality spin bike for my house. I think it's going to be my "empty nest" purchase for myself. I definitely want a spin bike and not a traditional stationary bike as I ride a road bike during the warmer months.

I live in Minnesota though so my outdoor biking months are a bit limited. I'm willing to spend up to $1000.

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Get a trainer and a smooth wheel for your road bike. Much cheaper and better I think.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Get a trainer and a smooth wheel for your road bike. Much cheaper and better I think.

My suggestion too.......the real advantage is that you're riding your own bike which, hopefully, is set up well. I've been using a Kurt Kinetics Road Machine (fluid) myself but there are also great models out there by CycleOps, Tacx, and others. If you're feeling really adventurous you could consider a set of rollers.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Yep, trainer. Cycleops. do it.
  • BigG1978
    BigG1978 Posts: 54 Member
    Options

My suggestion too.......the real advantage is that you're riding your own bike which, hopefully, is set up well. I've been using a Kurt Kinetics Road Machine (fluid) myself but there are also great models out there by CycleOps, Tacx, and others. If you're feeling really adventurous you could consider a set of rollers.

Ditto both the above, turbo or rollers defo the way to go. Got mine in Oct last year and done almost a thousand miles to date, although in UK it only cost me £120 which is approx $200 - as we brits would say - quids in $$$

Good luck and enjoy.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous people who said to just get a stationary setup for your road bike (if you have one you're happy with). If you get a separate exercise bike, definitely make sure that its seat height or forward/backward motion (as on a recumbent exercise bike) are properly adjustable for your height. The one I use (which my fiance bought years ago) is a recumbent bike, the seat of which doesn't adjust far enough forward for someone as short as I am (5'1"), so I have to wear clogs while riding or I hyperextend my knees!
  • katmumn
    katmumn Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I actually have a old (maybe 12 years old) CycleOps that I think might still be in the basement. It was a fluid one. Have they improved much since then?

Edit: The bike is my old touring bike if that matters. It's a 1985 Trek 620.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I actually have a old (maybe 12 years old) CycleOps that I think might still be in the basement. It was a fluid one. Have they improved much since then?

Edit: The bike is my old touring bike if that matters. It's a 1985 Trek 620.

So maybe spend your $1000 on a new road bike?
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    The old bike and trainer would be just fine. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket I'd upgrade the bike. Keep the old one on the trainer and use the new one for riding.
  • Bocch
    Bocch Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I use a steel frame road bike with tear drop handle bars mounted on a fluid resistance cycleops trainer. It serves me well. I have more upto date road bikes for when I ride outside. I also use the Troy Jacobson Spinnerval video. No, easy does it, la-di-la spinning indoors. Good luck with your choice. BTW if you need to conside joining a bicycle touring club, plenty of fun and motivation there.