Brittle nails- deficiency in something?

Options
I've noticed in the past few months, my nails have been cracking and breaking a lot. This hasn't been the case in the past. I did a google search thinking I could find out why this might be happening. Most of the articles talk about nail polish (which I don't use) and soaking hands in cleaner (which I don't really do either.)

I was hoping someone on here had some experience with this and maybe had some success fixing the problem. I suppose it could just be a regular aging issue (body falls apart at 40, right?) or dryness from a tough Ohio winter. But if there is a vitamin or something that I might be low on, that would be good to try.

Replies

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily. Mine are brittle due to eczema. Just one of the many ways it can manifest.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,996 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough protein?
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked? That is one of the symptoms
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Biotin.
  • callas444
    callas444 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough protein?

I go over my protein quota most days.
    Have you had your thyroid checked? That is one of the symptoms
    I have not, at least not for many years. Will add this to my Dr. list. Thanks!
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Do you think you could be anemic? Brittle nails can go along with anemia. :flowerforyou:
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Bioten and a multi vitamin should help!:flowerforyou:
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Google is frightening. You could have anything from eczema to Raynaud's disease.

Most commonly, though, our nails get brittle because of too much water (dish washing, scrubbing, etc.) or over drying from nail polish remover, chemicals, etc. Having artificial nails weakens your nails and can cause them to become brittle, as well.

Keeping your hands in rubber gloves while you immerse in water helps, so does taking a gelatin capsule. (My grandmother used to break them open and just rub them on her nails.) File your nails in one direction only to keep them stronger.

If all else fails, double-check on thyroid, eczema, and vitamin deficiencies with your doctor.
  • PoeRaven8991
    Options
    Try a Biotin supplement and increase your water intake. :drinker:
  • xWendyJonesx
    xWendyJonesx Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    My nails get brittle and flake when it gets cold, I try and wear gloves when I go out in the winter, I also use a good hand cream several times a day and massage it into my nails.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Protein for strength and fat to keep them from drying out. I find when I have enough of both I have no issues with my nails. If I go low in either I find they begin to flake. I have no studies or research, just my experience.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    There are lots of reasons why, but if it's been a sudden thing I would think it's due to age and frequent nail polish use. As mentioned biotin can help and also have your thyroid checked because hypothyroidism can also a contributor.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, protein is good for nails and hair. I could be wrong but vitamin E (I think?) oil rubbed on cuticles can be good.

Don't go for expensive nail oils, just a normal vit E oil capsule (like you could eat) would do.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Mine go through phases when they flake away down to nothing then grow again. I can't in any way link it to any change in diet or lifestyle, but rubbing nail oil in at night seems to help.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Your protein goal is not very high. Up it a bit and use olive oil on your nails and cuticles.

Are you on any medications? There are lots of meds that cause brittle, peeling nails.

A really low calorie diet devoid of Omega-3s can cause it. Eat your fatty fish.
  • gwengilroy
    Options
    The medication I'm on messes with my red blood cell count, so I'm anemic and my nails peel, but aren't brittle. :-P. I also have ridges in my nails because I have Crohn's disease and asthma (both inflammatory health problems). If you need more iron, just remember that our bodies absorb it better when it's taken with Vitamin C and to always consult your physician because iron overdose can be lethal.
    Here is a good article from a reliable source: http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/ss/slideshow-nails-and-health.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Two things I have noticed affecting nails (and also hair/skin):
    too little protein in my diet
    an irritated gut (IBS symptoms present)
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I take biotin and it has helped immensely withe my brittle and peeling nails. I think I take 1000 mcg per day.