I wanna convert to the dark side (weight lifting)

Options
SSAHM
SSAHM Posts: 172 Member
Ok so the topic pretty much says it all. I want to give up my mainly cardio routine for weight lifting to drastically change my body. Problem is I really have no idea where to start. I know eating for gaining muscle/losing fat is different then purely weight loss but how?
I have a home gym, bench, barbell, a few plates and a few light dumbbells. Most of the time they just sit there looking pretty. The most I have done in weight lifting kind of things is things like 30 day shred. So where do I start? Is there a website or something I can go to that gives a list of exercises and possible pictures I can print out as a guide?
As you can tell I'm pretty much new to this side of things so all the help I can get would be great!!

Thanks in advance :-D

Replies

• indigoigloo
    Options
    start with this: http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

OR this: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:Introduction

do it for about three months, then change over to something else, after having researched a little bit and learned about your body!! btw, you don't have to drop cardio completely -- just reduce it.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki (ignore any nutrition advice, and instead use the link below)

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183

Cliff's Notes: utilise the "big 3" - squat, bench, deadlift. For the first few months you'll be blessed with "newbie gains". You should be eating at a slight surplus, with adequate protein intake. You should expect to gain a little bit of fat. You need to sleep well.
  • SSAHM
    Options
    When you say eat at a surplus should I change my settings to maintenance and eat a little over that or change it to gain a little each week and aim for that. Also im guessing you eat back all of your exercise calories?
  • SSAHM
    Options
    start with this: http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

OR this: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:Introduction

do it for about three months, then change over to something else, after having researched a little bit and learned about your body!! btw, you don't have to drop cardio completely -- just reduce it.

Thanks I will look into them. And yes I don't plan on dropping cardio completely because I have grown to love running but the sheer repetitiveness of pure cardio especially when im only really getting the skinny fat look is driving me insane :-D
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing Jamie Eason's LiveFit trainer on Bodybuilding.com. It's an excellent introduction to weight training. :smile:
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Before starting a program I'd watch several Youtube instructional videos.. I do a powerlifting program now, but I would have never gotten as far as I didn't study other lifter's form and ingraining it into my mind. It's very easy to learn bad lifting patterns which can cause injury... not only injury, but not using the body to its maximum efficiency equating to being able to lift less.
  • HappyStack
    Options
    When you say eat at a surplus should I change my settings to maintenance and eat a little over that or change it to gain a little each week and aim for that. Also im guessing you eat back all of your exercise calories?

Yeah, you could change the goals to have you gain 0.5-1lbs a week, or find a nice medium between that and maintenance intake. You'll probably find you have to tweak it over time, anyway.

If you're using the second link I gave you to calculate your intake, it will factor in your level of activity, and so no... you shouldn't eat back any exercise calories.

If you use the MFP goal settings in a certain way, meaning you put in how much exercise you intend to do, you should eat them back because the goal it gives you is your NET intake.

I should say that this method is the "bulk and cut" method. Not everyone follows it and not everyone likes it. Personally, I find, without a caloric surplus I don't recover so well between workouts because I do cardio on my "off" days, too. YMMV.
  • EmmaJean7
    EmmaJean7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Warchortle
    Options
    If you're new to lifting there is no real reason to bulk... You can make gains on maintenance calories or even a slight deficit. A calorie surplus can aid you just having more calories to work with as far as recovery/energy in the gym, but isn't necessary for new lifters.
  • HappyStack
    Options
    This is true, but newbie gains don't last for long and a sudden foray into strength training can be hard on the CNS at first. Aside from that I found it easier to get in more calories when I needed them if I started trying right at the beginning (I was always a few hundred calories short at first).

There's no one size fits all, of course.
  • phuckingbadasscutie
    phuckingbadasscutie Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Has anyone read the book New Rules of Lifting for Women? I am starting stage one tomorrow and accourding to the book I need to be eating 2669 calories on weight lifting days. That's 1449 more than what my current goal is. I'm nervous for this big of a change. Any advise?
  • Warchortle
    Options
    I dunno... I think people are too ready to say they're "done" with their noob gains. I don't think I'm done with mine and I deadlift 400, squat 370.. and my bench suxorz.. working on getting it to at least 225. I'm just saying that I don't believe my "noob" gains are finished. I still want to refine my form on lifts and I know I probably have about a year before I'd say I'm out of my beginner lifting stage.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Has anyone read the book New Rules of Lifting for Women? I am starting stage one tomorrow and accourding to the book I need to be eating 2669 calories on weight lifting days. That's 1449 more than what my current goal is. I'm nervous for this big of a change. Any advise?

I'd like to know this too... eating that much seems like it will just end up in a tubby ring around my pants. How do you measure caloric intake to best support muscle building? I don't want to "bulk" just tone and build.
  • HappyStack
    Options
    I dunno... I think people are too ready to say they're "done" with their noob gains. I don't think I'm done with mine and I deadlift 400, squat 370.. and my bench suxorz.. working on getting it to at least 225. I'm just saying that I don't believe my "noob" gains are finished. I still want to refine my form on lifts and I know I probably have about a year before I'd say I'm out of my beginner lifting stage.

Oh, absolutely you can continue to get stronger and stronger.

Newbie gains as in a visible leap in muscularity. It's obviously variable for everyone, but most people will find it tapers off after 3 or so months.

It's all diminishing returns, anyway, unless you're using "illicit substances".
  • SSAHM
    Options
    Thbanks everyone for the reply. Now I know that initially I'll probably gain weight so how long in average (I know it will be different for everyone) before it begins to fall again.

Also I've also been told about this new rules of lifting for women book. Would that be a good place to start? Does it have illustrations?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

I'd like to know this too... eating that much seems like it will just end up in a tubby ring around my pants. How do you measure caloric intake to best support muscle building? I don't want to "bulk" just tone and build.

Create small changes, see how they impact you, and continue.
    Upping by 1500 overnight is a bad idea in terms of adherence and change in habits. Just add 300-500, see how that works over 2-3 weeks.

With initial weight training, assuming starting with very low weights and progressive loading, there is no need to up calories for 4-6 weeks, unless you feel weak during/after a workout, initial work will focus on form and neuromuscular adaptation. Once you begin approaching your limits (beyond 50-60% 1RM) consider upping cals.

First days you'll see a fast gain. Ignore. (Related to a lot of things including carbohydrate storage and water buffering)
    Then after 3-4 days begin tracking the trend - if you are gaining 1/2 lb (ideal) to a lb a week you are fine. Anything higher and it pretty much fat storage.

Makes small adjustments over time and you'll be fine.
  • HappyStack
    Options
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki (ignore any nutrition advice, and instead use the link below)

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183

Cliff's Notes: utilise the "big 3" - squat, bench, deadlift. For the first few months you'll be blessed with "newbie gains". You should be eating at a slight surplus, with adequate protein intake. You should expect to gain a little bit of fat. You need to sleep well.

It's the big 4, you're forgetting Overhead Press.

Well, not really. The "big 3" obviously relates to powerlifting competitions. The OHP is regarded as benching assistance work by some, others don't see much carryover (I find the opposite is true, but my benching grip is less PL-style). It's just in there because it more directly works the shoulders/tris over the bench press and most beginners will find that they're weaker in that area than in the chest.

As always YMMV.
  • HappyStack
    Options
    Well, I notice you do 5/3/1. Wendler advocates it as an assistance lift for fixing bench stalls.

http://www.jimwendler.com/2012/01/all-about-the-bench-press/

Cliff's:
    Remember what your primary goal is. Your goal is that you want to increase your bench press.

[...]

Now as far as assistance lifts are concerned, you have to look at the bench press and see what muscles are involved in making you stronger. Primary muscles would be the chest, shoulders, and triceps.

[...]

Military Press — I think this is so important that I use it as a core lift in my own training (and the 5/3/1 program). Strong shoulders are paramount for a strong raw bench press. I always do them standing (that’s how you pee, so that’s how you press), with NO WIDER than a “thumbs width from smooth” grip, and a false grip. These are done to the front of the face.

*Edited to remove the unnecessary stuff.