The 500 calorie deficit myth

Options

Replies

• 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I am using the 20% deficit method. This gives me 1325-1350 macros.. After I have weight loss of 3-5 pounds I adjust my setting.
    When I reach my fat loss % goal, I’ll be eating my TDEE around 1580s.

I am in week 3 of my new settings and I’m beginning to move off my plateau. So hopefully I understand and have my my settings accurate for weight loss and body fat % loss. To do this and maintain my lean mass through this journey I am eating my BMR…..
    right?
  • jcorpern
    jcorpern Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    http://evidencemag.com/calories-count/

Sorry Virginia, there is no Santa Claus. Calories do count.
  • CourtDines1
    Options
    such a ridiculous post and still so many comments.
    you must be really enjoying this.
    typical of MFP anyway :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

I wouldnt say this is a ridiculious post as its better to ask the question right? I now understand that maybe I shouldnt take the artical so litteral (parts of it are right and parts are wrong we are all here to help each other understand right? :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I wouldnt say this is a ridiculious post as its better to ask the question right? I now understand that maybe I shouldnt take the artical so litteral (parts of it are right and parts are wrong we are all here to help each other understand right? :)

Just so there is no misunderstanding...

...this is *not* why I'm here.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

It's excellent that you're able to take the constructive criticism and learn how to read more critically. And it's good that you're striving to understand how things really work. I want to strongly encourage you to continue to pursue that general course. It will take you much farther in life than you would go without it!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

Just so there is no misunderstanding...

...this is *not* why I'm here.
    But... but... I thought we were all here for the same reason! :huh:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Lol. That is not why I'm here. I'm here for cat gifs and snark. This thread mostly delivers.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ...we are all here to help each other understand right? :)

No.

I am here to manage my fitness.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I noticed she said in the article that the participants were on 500 calorie deficits.

But then the next day I read an article by the BBC on how the volunteers in the study were conscientious objectors, and that article said they were on over 1,000 calorie deficits.

So, that just undermines her WHOLE article.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

I'm here to chew bubblegum and kick *kitten*... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

mm_4.jpg
  • CourtDines1
    Options
    The men in this experiment were already at a healthy weight which is why the results don't really work when applied to over weight or obese people

im not sure if i have understood correctly but if i am at a healthy weight but am just trying to loose a stuborn 5kg then does that mean that 500 deficit wont work for me and its a matter of eating healthier foods??

If a 500 calorie deficit is above your BMR and you get enough protein (and fats and carbs, but particulary protein) AND do some form of weight-bearing exercise, you should be totally fine. Well, if your goal is healthy. Trying to become underweight is a different story in terms of what goes on.

thanks - so i may be doing this wrong in that case.. i do strength training 3 time a week my weight is 62kg im 170 cm my BMR is 1400 and TDEE is 1800 and i aim to eat 1200 calories a day... should i up my calories my 100?

a 20% cut off your TDEE is a 360 calorie deficit..if you only have 5 pounds to lose this would seem more ideal ….you are currently in a 600 per day deficit?

Yes currently 600 deficit but in saying that I stick to that 4 days out of the 7 sooo not really a 600 deficit and is probally closer to a 350 deficit :) i keep an excel sheet with my averages and weekly counts and weigh ins with more details on it so i actually kow if i have eaten to much sodium then it explains the scales jumping up. im getting there slowly but I look up to the trainer that posted this blog and wanted more info on it hence why i posted it here... its great to hear everyones opinions and i am certainly going to begin reading more books about nutrition!
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Myth?
    Maybe for a small %.
    Not me.
    The 500 cal deficit worked for me.
    Lost 34 # in about 10 months.
    Reached my goal over 2 years ago.
    I now weigh 1 # more than my goal weight.
    I guess the article is a myth.
    :laugh:
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    IDC what this study shows. I know from experience that eating at a 500 calorie deficit has worked for me. However now that I am closer to goal, and my body wants to hold onto what little fat stores I have left, I am now only eating at a 250 calorie/day deficit (1/2lb/week loss). I did it with the use of my bodymedia, which tells me exactly what I burn every day, and when I eat 500 cal's less than that, I lose 1lb/week. I typically try to leave 100-200 calories left over, in case of underlogging, most days....or some days. I lost 65lb's prior to MFP, doing the "Curves approach," which basically has you eating at a deficit as well, but instead of counting calories, they have a ton of pre-planned meals and snacks for you to choose from, which "coincidentally" happen to have you eating at a deficit. The first 65lb's came off in the first year. This second year, I can't tell you how much I've lost, honestly. I know it could have been a more rapid loss, but I'm not trying to go for a fast weight loss, just a permanent one. Point is, I've been at this for 2 years now, so the probability of me regaining all my weight back is highly unlikely. In my case atleast, I think exercise plays a huge part. For instance, if I bust my butt in the gym, I really don't want all my hard work going to waste by "pigging out." Plus, I get a rush of endorphins that makes me feel happy, and it gives me something to do, so I don't feel bored, which are my emotional triggers for overeating.
  • CourtDines1
    Options

No.

I am here to manage my fitness.

ahhh... pretty sure the bigger picture of MFP is fitness but commenting on a post where someone is asking for advise is generally responded with advise?

but good for you LOL!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I did not read it because I do not want to become disencouraged.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    ohai.
  • indethwetrust
    Options
    I have lost a little over 70 pounds just by eating healthy food and getting regular exercise. For the longest time, I never counted calories or did anything special, I just ate a little healthier and went for a jog every day and I got good results. I think this is something that a lot of "experts" tend to overthink and that people tend to worry a little too much about. Small lifestyle changes for the better will give you success in the long run, it's all about discipline rather than hardcore adherence to the "rules".