Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

The sodium count on this website's database drives me nuts

A freshly baked chicken breast with no salt added has 400 sodium? I call shenanigans on that! The sodium count on ALL of the food on this site's database is so overestimated it is bordering on the ridiculous.

My father has extreme hypertension so I've tried and tried hard to keep my sodium within normal parameters, but no matter what I eat; no matter how vigilant I am to eat plain, tastes-like-nothing, simply eating this bland garbage so I don't die of starvation, it always tops off my sodium count by at least 1000 mg. It's frustrating as heck.

"Don't be afraid to eat!" That's what everyone keeps telling me. Well, my father had his first stroke at fifty which was directly related to his high blood pressure and I am in the gene pool lineup for the same disorder. I don't want to go through that! So, how in the world can I not be afraid to eat when even steamed brussel sprouts with no added salt still register with 22mg of sodium?

I literally cannot stop eating sodium unless I go on an all-water diet.

Probably just venting, but man, this is really getting to me.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,123 Member
    I wouldn't suggest using most of that data.

Try:
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list#
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    What is your sodium goal? If I make my own food (including plenty of fresh meat and vegetables) I can usually keep it under 1500. Any sort of processed meat/cheese/bread/pickled or canned goods and it goes out the window fast.

If you open your diary people might be able to give you more specific suggestions on how to get your numbers down.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    A freshly baked chicken breast with no salt added has 400 sodium? I call shenanigans on that! The sodium count on ALL of the food on this site's database is so overestimated it is bordering on the ridiculous.

My father has extreme hypertension so I've tried and tried hard to keep my sodium within normal parameters, but no matter what I eat; no matter how vigilant I am to eat plain, tastes-like-nothing, simply eating this bland garbage so I don't die of starvation, it always tops off my sodium count by at least 1000 mg. It's frustrating as heck.

"Don't be afraid to eat!" That's what everyone keeps telling me. Well, my father had his first stroke at fifty which was directly related to his high blood pressure and I am in the gene pool lineup for the same disorder. I don't want to go through that! So, how in the world can I not be afraid to eat when even steamed brussel sprouts with no added salt still register with 22mg of sodium?

If you are using frozen chicken...that is about right. The nutrition label on the back of mine says 410mg per 4oz serving. I was shocked too.

I am trying to keep mine below 1500mg due to BP...I don't add salt while I am cooking and don't use the salt shaker any more. I still have trouble staying below the 2300mg...I am working to get it down to around 1500mg.
  • Annie_01
    I wouldn't suggest using most of that data.

Try:
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list#

I use it but always check the nutrition info before adding it. Sometimes it takes me few clicks before I find one that is accurate.
  • Annie_01
    One last bit of infor...be careful what you season with. I was using one seasoning that when I check the nutrition...it was just as bad as straight salt. Make sure that all of your condiments and spices are salt free.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,123 Member

If you are using frozen chicken...that is about right. The nutrition label on the back of mine says 410mg per 4oz serving. I was shocked too.

I am trying to keep mine below 1500mg due to BP...I don't add salt while I am cooking and don't use the salt shaker any more. I still have trouble staying below the 2300mg...I am working to get it down to around 1500mg.
    Brined chicken.....popular these days and you get to pay for increased weight, lovely.