On the Radio today.

Ahzuri
Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I heard this:

If you want to lose weight, here’s an important tip: Make friends with your scale! Several studies offer indisputable evidence that the bathroom scale is one of the mosteffective tools for losing weight and keeping it off. In fact, 75% of members of the National Weight Control Registry - which is made up of men and women who’ve lost 30 pounds or more – still weigh themselves once a week. Here are some surprising facts that’ll help you fall in love with your scale - and your body. We got these from Prevention magazine.

* The more you weigh yourself, the more you lose. In one study, daily weighers dropped twice as many pounds as weekly weighers – because it became a daily reminder to stay on track. Dieters who avoided the scale altogether gained an average of four pounds. Scientists say that tracking your daily progress can improve your mood by giving you a sense of control.
* A cheaper model is better. Dr. Kara Mohr is an exercise physiologist who specializes in weight loss. She says you can spend hundreds on fancy scales that estimate your body fat percentage and so on, but you’re just getting another number to worry about. You want a basic digital scale that displays weight to your nearest one-half pound.
* Where you put your scale matters. In most cases, your bathroom floor will work just fine. If the floor’s textured, or the grout between tiles creates an uneven surface, the readout might be off. Putting a scale on a bathmat or carpet can throw off its sensors and decrease your weight by 20 pounds or more! So, find a flat surface and weigh yourself in that same spot – at the same time - every day. The number may go up and down from one day to the next, but the overall direction month to month should be down if you’re trying to lose weight. If you seen an upward trend, it’s time to get more disciplined.

Source: http://www.tesh.com/ittrium/visit/A1x97x1y1xa5x1x76y1x2425x1x9by1x242ax1y5x1ed28x5x1

What do you guys think? I have always been told to only weigh in once a week at the same time every week because your weight fluxes a bit day to day. I have however started weighing daily (before I heard this, I just can't stay away from the scale!) and I did drop 4lbs this week so I dunno.

Replies

• lynnie30
    lynnie30 Posts: 105 Member
    I have heard that you should only weigh yourself once a week too. Now that I read this, this also makes sense so I guess whatever works best on an individual basis is what's right. However, I now think I will put my scale on the bathroom rug to weigh myself! Now, THAT'S some motivation!!!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Some friendships can make you very sad!
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    I think it is a personal choice. The answer is "No, don't do it" if stepping on the scale discourages you from sticking to your plan because after doing everything right, you get on the scale and you've gained five pounds! I know many people who have gone on an eating binge because they were so bummed out over normal type fluctuations. (Self included).

If you just want constant feedback of your progress and it motivates you to keep going no matter what, then it is a good idea.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    I hate the scales. I rarely weigh, but when I do, I promise you that I do not see gains. I have too many problems with fluid to see a number fluctuate like that. I just can't deal with it. The more I stay OFF the scales the less discouraged I am and the more I'm able to concentrate on the business of taking care of myself without worrying about numbers. (Yeah, the weight on my ticker is WAAAAY outdated. :bigsmile: )
  • MzMolly
    MzMolly Posts: 169 Member
    I have to admitt that since I have stopped getting on the scale every day my weight loss has slowed down! I think I will go back to my daily wiegh ins!
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Some friendships can make you very sad!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    I weigh every day. I feel more in control knowing that my weight fluctuates. When I stop weighing, I put on weight.

Whatever works/motivates you. But you really need to get used to the fact that you gain and lose water allllllll the time! But totally agree that when there is a downward trend, you're losing fat. And when there's an upward trend then you're gaining. But that 'trend' needs to be measured over a MONTH to 6 weeks, not a week!! This is very important!!!

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • fullboost
    fullboost Posts: 53 Member
    I weigh every day, but i don't really take any notice of it - it's just habit. I only log my weight loss once it's stayed off for a week or close too it.
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    I weigh everyday, but I only record it when I have lost weight. :tongue: Seriously though it's helpful for me to know how much my weight is fluctuating because it might indicate whether I drank enough water the day previously, and other various things that I know cause me to retain fluid. If I noticed that I gained weight over a week long period, I would question my diet and exercise routine, but so far it has only just been daily fluctuations with a general downward trend.

On the other hand the first time I ever dieted, I did it for four months without owning scales, and when I finally did weigh I had lost 30 pounds! My weight loss slowed down significantly once I had scales because somehow they messed up my concentration on the dieting part and made it into something I dreaded. So this time I started out with scales so there wouldn't be any late in the game interference!

That said, I really don't have problems beating myself up about it when I do see the scale be higher than the day before. If you do freak out because of it, you should stick to once a week or something.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    I usually weigh myself daily, but only count it weekly unless I see a loss for 2 days straight. Since I don't have to worry about TOM anymore when I see it dipping up, I adjust right away to get it going back down. I love my Eat smart scale, not expensive and as accurate as my doc's. Just tell my weight and doesn't store it for my hubby to see, :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.