the weekends are so challenging

Options
I don't know if it's sleepiness, or a symptom of eating a bunch of crap last night and today, but I'm feeling super discouraged. I have been on my weight loss "journey" only for a month, and I just find that the weekends are such a challenge. I am really very disciplined throughout the week, drinking a ton of water, eating relatively healthy (could do better getting in fruit and veggies), staying at an appropriate calorie deficit, and exercising. I have my "routine" and it works for me.

Then, the weekend hits. And it's harder to exercise, harder to remember to drink water, harder to eat right (especially, when we're not eating at home).

Then, of course, I do something stupid - like go on Facebook, and see SO MANY posts from a couple people on my newsfeed who are Beach Body coaches and super into "clean eating" shakeology "digging deeper" blah blah blah... and then I find myself in this emotional "slump" of feeling like i have failed.

How do NORMAL folks, who have office jobs, kids, a family who you actually want to spend time with, and simply don't have endless amounts of time/energy to focus on nutrition and exercise make it through the weekend, football watching parties, company work parties, etc. without totally falling off the wagon? How do you pick yourself back up again, and not allow you to measure yourself against the zeal of your peers who are seemingly boundless in energy and seem to be 100% committed?

Replies

• kaydj27
    kaydj27 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That is an excellent question. I feel the same way. Wish I had some answer for you. I just started my journey again and hated tracking a food diary. But did so on here and I'm shocked to see that I'm not eating enough. Who would have thunk that?!. As for the shakes, I swear its just a marketing plow so I wouldn't see much into that because its not realistic. Once they stop those shakes then the pounds will come back. I say just try to track your food and look for health choices and one cheap day isn't bad.
  • fitnesspro111
    Options
    whatever you are thinking it happens with everybody. It is good you had a nice journey,but you may know 'The day will automatically repair these all things' This time will go soon. weight loss journey is not a competition , in which we have to push ourselves and force ourselves.Enjoy your this time too .
  • csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I really focus on eating healthy and exercising consistently during the week so I can be a little flexible on the weekends with my eating. I also think about the weekend beforehand. If I know I'm going out with friends to a specific spot for dinner -- I'll try to do some sort of exercise in the morning and maybe have a light lunch so I am able to indulge at dinnertime. Try not to compare yourself to what others are doing -- you have your own journey and they have theirs.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I've made exercise a routine part of my day, every day. On weekends or holidays, I find that it helps to go to the gym first thing to get it out of the way. I eat and drink what I want at social events, I just keep portion size in mind.
  • Arne_becomesxXx
    Arne_becomesxXx Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, I am so with you!
    It´s always the weekends that make me falling off. But I trie not to fail too much.
    At the moment I don´t have a plan against it.
    But I´ll working on it :)
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I might be off here, but if your work week is Mo-Fr, then the weekend might look completely different routine-wise. If you're successful on working days, why not try to simulate some of it on Sa and Su, too? I don't think it's beneficial to beat oneself up over this, but perhaps test yourself by asking how you would advise someone else in your situation? Common sense goes a long way, but sometimes we forget to apply it to ourselves the way we do just fine for others. Remember, the brain responds better to carrots than sticks.

Edited typo.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I find every day difficult, not just weekends. But the main thing is just to remember not to beat yourself up. This is about a healthy lifestyle and even small changes are good ones. We're all going to make mistakes, but just remember to learn from them. If something triggers you food wise, then learn from the mistakes you've made so far and try to work through it. I find that if I have a party to go to or somewhere where I know there will be food, I'll eat something within my calorie range at home before I go. That way if I do end up eating something, it won't be much because I've already eaten and the damage is minimal, if any.

Basically, just be good to yourself and remember we all slip up sometimes.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    How do NORMAL folks, who have office jobs, kids, a family who you actually want to spend time with, and simply don't have endless amounts of time/energy to focus on nutrition and exercise make it through the weekend, football watching parties, company work parties, etc. without totally falling off the wagon? How do you pick yourself back up again, and not allow you to measure yourself against the zeal of your peers who are seemingly boundless in energy and seem to be 100% committed?
    We make it through and it gets easier as it goes...

I typically don't workout on weekends now but when I did I just took the time in the morning and got it done.

Food choices you learn as you go...for example this weekend I was way under calories all weekend and had to make it up with nom noms and didn't get my protien in...

Just pick yourself up on Monday and carry on.
  • slouw10
    slouw10 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Weekends are hard for me too! The kids will open a bag of chips and eat it halfway, leave it on the counter...for me to find. I know will power have to step in there, but sometimes...ugh - I agree weekends are a challenge to me too!
  • jolancy
    jolancy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Weekends can be tough, but it's all about changing your own attitude - if you believe you can do it, you will! Anything is possible when you set your mind to it, and remember we're only human, we all have the occasional slip but we learn from it and get back on the wagon again. I wouldn't worry about what other people are doing, it may be great and working for them, but only you know what works for you.

As for fitting in exercise at the weekend, perhaps you could organise to do something active as a family (e.g. swimming, ice skating, cycling etc.)
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    you are doing it all correctly. Theres no need to feel bad about yourself. as long as you are on deficit 5x/week and ate clean you say? then just relax on weekends, eat anything you want, eat a little more than your MFP settings but not binge. Once a week will not derail your progress. Add me up and let me share you some more tips.
  • michiganderrdh
    michiganderrdh Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Weekends are tough for me but because I'm such a structured person. I find the chaos of the weekends and lacking the schedule meaning I have difficulty eating enough. Fitness is easier because I teach group fitness at the local gym.

Just focus on making this a lifestyle rather than a burden. Include your family in activities and then it becomes natural vs forced. :)

If you're looking for motivation, friend me. I'm also a busy mom who can relate!
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    I forgot to say that those, who are successful in their lifestyle change, have made it a priority and they are committed. In your last paragraph of OP you mention lots of activities that seem to be reasons for your not committing fully or however I should put it, but the point is not all successful people are single with only themselves and their job and house to take care of. Rather they sound just as busy as you seem to be with kids and various activities going on. Very helpful is to avoid all-or-nothing, if nothing causes deprivation and later binges etc.; seek to find balance. If you think the price is worth to pay, you'll find a way to make it happen.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Weekends are going to be around forever, so we've got to learn to live with them, I guess. I've been approaching them with an open mind (or trying to). Wheeeeee! A whole weekend! I get to pick some delicious snacks at the party and have a couple of cocktails! And wheeeee! A whole weekend! I can fit in an extra hour-long walk! That kind of stuff. It sort of works :)
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    The only thing that works for me is to log my food and drinks. All of them, even the bad ones! Seeing it on paper (computer, ipad) helps me to limit the binges. I'm beginning to see weekends just like any other day and not an excuse to overeat. It is about learning how to live life while maintaining a healthy body.

Good luck. Keep working at it as it gets easier with practice. Not perfect, but better.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    How do NORMAL folks, who have office jobs, kids, a family who you actually want to spend time with, and simply don't have endless amounts of time/energy to focus on nutrition and exercise make it through the weekend, football watching parties, company work parties, etc. without totally falling off the wagon?

So if you don't work in an office you're not normal? Anyhow, if you work in an office going to the gym after work should be really easy because you shouldn't be too tired after sitting at a desk all day. I should know. I'm one of the lucky "normal" office workers. As far as family, they can probably spare you for 3-5 hours a week. If they can't get them involved if you can. Why should they miss out on a healthy lifestyle? As far as parties and events go, do those things really come up THAT often? If you've having a superbowl scale bender every week maybe it's just time to scale back a little. Eat to live not live to eat I guess.
  • piratebear1
    piratebear1 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Funnily enough weekends are the only days I find easy!

I have 2.4 kids - a bunch of animals - a 8.30 - 6 day job (and I dont drive - which makes getting anywhere - like home from work - a LOOONG TASK!) and the week is my hard part. I'm shattered after work and could easily slip up, easily not have time to excercise - and easily reach for the chocolate bar etc. I find it hard to get the 3 or 4 hour walk into my day that i often need.

Weekends however, I have the gift of time! plenty of time to workout, plenty of time to prepare a nice breakfast - plenty of time to work out harder so I can eat more later :-). I usually end up 1000 in the green on Sat's (my weigh day) which i keep in reserve for the rest of the busy week.

I've been at this since October 20th - and Sunday was my first hard day (as in wanting to give up day - ).I had lots of cheese the night before and Im sure it effected my mood as I was soo down Sunday.Back on the horse today because as nice as the food tates - that morning after the night before cheese headache and come down is just soul destroying for me!
  • hkristine1
    hkristine1 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    How do NORMAL folks, who have office jobs, kids, a family who you actually want to spend time with, and simply don't have endless amounts of time/energy to focus on nutrition and exercise make it through the weekend, football watching parties, company work parties, etc. without totally falling off the wagon?

So if you don't work in an office you're not normal? Anyhow, if you work in an office going to the gym after work should be really easy because you shouldn't be too tired after sitting at a desk all day. I should know. I'm one of the lucky "normal" office workers. As far as family, they can probably spare you for 3-5 hours a week. If they can't get them involved if you can. Why should they miss out on a healthy lifestyle? As far as parties and events go, do those things really come up THAT often? If you've having a superbowl scale bender every week maybe it's just time to scale back a little. Eat to live not live to eat I guess.

I admit I was feeling discouraged last night and used some sloppy language. In saying "normal people." I really meant, "people who cannot make working out and eating "clean" their career." I think, however, you missed the point of my post. Weekdays are easy. I have a routine of good food and almost every day, I go to the gym at lunch time. On days I miss the gym, I try to do *something* in the evening at home (I have the P90x videos, but they're not my favorite, so they are my "fallback" when I didn't have a chance to get to the gym)... but on weekends, I find it a lot more challenging because those are the only days that I get to spend with my kid where our minutes are not devoted to homework, eating dinner, and then bedtime. It's difficult to want to leave the family on the weekends to go to the gym.

I do like the suggestion of getting the family involved in the activity. When it's nice outside, we sometimes go to tennis courts and play together. Sometimes we go to the community center pool, which is a good FUN workout. I guess I just needed to vent a little after the weekend. I definitely need a better weekend strategy, especially when the weather is so bleak and being outside isn't #1 on everyone's list of fun things to do.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    You need to take care of yourself properly or you can't take care of anyone else. If they don't get it now, they will when they are adults. It's just how it is, as necessary as proper sleep, nutrition, air,... I have no idea how far away a gym is from you but it shouldn't take even half a day. And you're showing by example a healthy lifestyle as well as teaching what healthy selfishness means.