New and sore, rest or continue?

Options
Hi, I'm a female turned 23 last saturday and last saturday was also my first attempt at 'weight lifting'. I mean to say that I was using free weights to train my abysmally weak upper body. I performed exercises for my shoulders, back of my shoulders, neck, biceps and triceps and sunday I was extremely sore. Job well done?

Either way, I know that one day of rest is always required, so I intended to go again today, however, my back, or I suppose that's the back of my shoulders are still really painful, and my arms to a lesser extent. Should I go again today and push through, or listen to my body and wait another day?

Replies

• gil_u
    gil_u Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body, rest is definitely as important as the actual exercise itself. I workout when I am sore on occasion, but not if I am extremely sore. It's good to push your limits, but pace yourself for now. Once you become a little more experienced lifting, you will be able to push yourself more.

Good luck!
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I agree to listen to your body and see how your DOMS feel. Rest is important, but also, don't sit around and do nothing when you're sore either, gotta get that blood flowing. On really sore days, I tend to do a lot of bodyweight exercises to attack the muscles that are sore, Do them really slowly , low sets, and see how you feel. Also, remember the re-fuel your body afterwards with the proper foods, really helps with recovery!
  • angelzprophecy
    Options
    i would say that a minimum of 48 hours since you worked out so thats only 1 day of rest - you finish working out at say 1 and then 1 the next day is 24 hours and then you start in the afternoon the day after. usually soreness will go away as you progress into your workout unless you are working different muscles then the soreness isnt going to matter at all. itll just be er uncomfortable to move around

since you just worked your arms and that would affect any other upperbody workout if you werent fully recovered (i like 72 hours of rest beetween working my full upperbody), i would suggest doing legs/abbs
  • KeairaSedai
    KeairaSedai Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I'll take today to take a nice walk, maybe some other cardio or abs and give my upperbody another day of rest and keep spacing it two days in between for now.

Thanks!
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I don't work out something if I am super sore. Maybe do a little cardio or work an area that isn't sore already