heavy lifting. my full body routine. is it ok?

Options
2»

Replies

• Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    ok so for about 3 weeks now dis is wat i do with regards to the whole body.i tried NRFLW but a b it complicated for me.
    Brench press, squat, deadlift lat pull down, bicep curls,tricep kickback and skull crushers..
    been doing dis progressively for d past 3 weeks.... i prefer a full body to doing it inb its everytime...
    am i missing something?
    thank u
    Awomaame

If you are new to lifting I would stay away from the isolation movements, bicep curls & Tricep kick backs, and stay with the main compound lifts. Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press, Standing Over Head Press, Bend Over Row. Build that solid foundation with these. If you feel the need to target your bi's & tri's do dips or chinups as burn sets at the end. With bench press, OHP, and bent over rows you will already be hitting those areas though. Try looking into Starting Strength or Strong Lifts 5x5. Both are good solid foundation programs.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    When in doubt:
    Squat
    Bench
    Deadlift
    Pull-ups

Best!

^ This, you could sub lat pull-downs or rows for the pull-ups if needed. And I would suggest OHP as well.

OP: Take a look at the book starting strength, and the program stronglifts 5x5. You don't need isolation moves for triceps and biceps if you follow either program as they get hit as secondary muscles on a few of those lifts.

yup yup yup

Barbell rows
    Dumbbell rows
    Inverted rows-
    and those will help you learn/gain strength to DO the pull ups- which you should learn how to do.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Ok, yes. Ideal for strength gains, no. You should get very good results using dumbells this way, but the program was designed to use barbell.

One problem with dumbbells is that they go up in increments of 5 lbs each (10 lbs total) this program, as well as others want you to add 5lbs at a time, not 10, as that increase may be too much when you are nearing your limits.
    thank you for your reply! I actually own adjustable weights, which have 2.5lb increments, so that would work. I just want to start with what I have, you know? I'm tired of thinking about this and not doing much about it.

All Pro's Simple Beginners Routine is more adaptable to dumbbells that Starting Strength, Stronglifts etc. I did it for a while, before I got access to a bar.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147447933
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    bump